Honda Shadow Forums banner

Hit a deer

6K views 55 replies 23 participants last post by  Nuh_auni 
#1 ·
Well it finally happened. I live in deer country and I knew it was only a matter of when not if I will hit a deer, and today was that day.

She was a pretty big doe, and for all you nature folks out there, I'm pretty sure she's okay. I'm alright too, just a banged up leg, but nothing broken. My '97 vt1100 is a little worse for wear, but I was able to stay on two wheels, so it's not as bad as it could have been.

My left crash bar saved my leg, but is bent enough that I should replace it.
Does anyone have one they care to part with?

Of the two bolts that hold the left floorboard to the frame, one sheared off completely, and the other is very bent.
Could anyone tell me what size bolts these are?

Lastly there's a broken lower wind deflector. On that I might try to diy one out of lexan.

I consider myself very lucky, but it just goes to show that even 15 years of riding experience can't prevent all accidents.

See less See more
#38 ·
Glad both of y'all are ok.

If you are concerned about the crash bars, I would suggest bending them back as straight as you can then take the bike to a local fabrication shop to let a welder check them. They might be able to make final adjustments or re weld them without to much cost.

How fast were you going when you hit the deer? I have about 10 miles on back roads where there are many deer and it is a big concern of mine, I have T-boned a pickup at 35 mph and did not like it. I don't even like driving one of the state hi-ways because of the deer.

I just put crash bars on the wish/need list!

#39 ·
@PhantomRider64, not really sure how fast I was actually going. I had little time to brake so maybe 45-50mph?

I'm just so shocked at the amount of force required to bend them back. I haven't bent it all the way yet because I need to wait until I have two other adults to keep the bike from moving as I use a giant pry bar. Just goes to show the damage my leg was shielded from.

I like your suggestion on having a welder look at them. Think I should take the bar off or leave it on the bike for an inspection?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#40 ·
That is some speed to hit a deer, I do feel a little better about it now.

I would leave them on and let them look at how they are aligned. Welds done properly are stronger than the metal itself so I would think you would split the tubing before the weld.

#42 ·
Those look awesome.

Wonder if you'd be interested in doing other stuff..

PM me some time.

#43 ·
Other stuff like what? Never really thought about it, I kind of just goof around simply because I have access to the equipment lol

I'd have to at least charge for materials on anything else, this acrylic I had laying around from another project but that was the last of it.

#46 ·
Super nice deflectors!

And the morsels for those Lunatic Fringe saddlebags ( thanx, Tom Cochran and Red Ryder! ) are headed to the post office today, Nuh _Auni.

Share food. Ride safe. Mate often.

#48 ·
Check your private messages for a tracking number. The package should be to you by Wednesday.

Share food. Ride safe. Mate often.

#52 ·
Time for an update.
After my failed attempt at bending the left crash bar back to its original position, I decided to bite the bullet and just purchase a new set. My girlfriend convinced me it had given it's life up for my safety, and it probably wouldn't be able to do so again.

Over the weekend I received some new lower wind deflectors courtesy of @Nuh_auni. I always felt that the ones I had on there were just too small to block much wind, and Alex was happy to slice up some lexan to my preferred specifications[emoji5]

Since installing the larger lowers it's been raining like crazy, so I only had a chance to take a 10 minute ride to get gas, but I can already tell they make a big difference. I'm getting much less wind to the chest and head area, which had been a problem even riding with my large shield.

Thank you everybody who showed concern for me and this accident, this is a great community and I feel honored to be part of it!

#53 ·
I'm glad you got them ok [emoji3]

Sorry about not getting them out until now, life waits for no man lol

I'm even more glad they work like you'd hoped, I had some worry that even though they are the very definition of laser precise, they wouldn't fit. These things often go that way it seems. lol

I agree with your girlfriend, it gave it's life for you, bury it with honor.
Heat the bar bend it into a shop stool and remember it always!

PS I just got a neat automated email, thanks brother!

#54 ·
I'm even more glad they work like you'd hoped, I had some worry that even though they are the very definition of laser precise, they wouldn't fit. These things often go that way it seems. lol
They fit perfectly! I doubt the hole size and spacing could have been more exact.

I agree with your girlfriend, it gave it's life for you, bury it with honor.
Heat the bar bend it into a shop stool and remember it always!
Shop stool, eh? Now you've got me thinking!

PS I just got a neat automated email, thanks brother!
[emoji6]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.