Honda Shadow Forums banner

Kuryakyn grip install

9K views 80 replies 14 participants last post by  pastordave1 
#1 ·
As promised in my other thread here are a few pics of the new grips and a install note. then a result ride note.

This is one of those I should have moments, If I only knewabout these when I got the Grip Puppies I would have gotten them then. But I didn't know so I'll cut myself some slack.
First, I watched videos on you tube last night and they were good ones, I read the instructions, (except for the fine print on the last line). The videos didn't show what the fine print said so once i got through reading everything I saw in the videos it was time to install. first I took off both OEM grips as per video because I wanted to save them in case someone may need them some day. The instuctions say cut them off, the video showed to use a long skinny screwdriver and stick it in between the handle and grip to loosen it up from the old glue then spay WD40 so they slid off easy, done, worked perfect as per video. Then clean off all old glue from the handlebars, done. Put new glue on the right handle but only about half way so it doesn't stick to the switch housing and not turn. then squirt some glue inside the new grip and slide on fast and turn back and forth a little to spread glue then squeeze and hold new grip for about 20 seconds, done, moves! works great.
Now the left side. All the same but push all the way because it doesn't have to turn. Fine print, file metal end of bar so every thing is real smooth. I pushed it on before glue and it went on great so i glued it up and pushed it on and the rubber got stuck on the end just long enough to make it that I could only get it on 3/4 of the way and it stopped. Think fast and get the screw driver and WD40 and carefully get it off, feeeeuuuuw. Now clean off all the rubber and glue and just glue the bar from half way in and carefully slide it on all the way then lift the end rubber pieces and put some glue under each and put the back in and squeeze and hold. good tight fit, nothing moves now read the fine print, duh. Oh well they are on. Then put the weighted ends on and use blue locktight. instructions don't say blue or red I only had blue plus I figured if I ever wand to add something inbetween I could get them off. Put the Cramp Buster rubber on the weighted end with a little going over the connection up to the grip rubber and put the cramp buster on, perfect! fits great and in a great position to use as needed and be out of the way when not needed.
Now the 70 mile ride. Because i didn't try them without the weights i have no Idea the difference they make except that judging by the OEM grips and the Grip Puppies when new i would have to say they do a lot. I had zero vibration which is very important for my hands. the grips are supper comfortable and the size around is not much different than the stock grips with new grip puppies on them. If they are bigger it"s not enough to make a difference for me. They are slightly longer then the weighted ends make them another inch longer than they already are but that is perfect for me for the Cramp Buster to be on but not in the way. I purposely went into lower gears in some slow sections to get some buzz out of the engine and still no buzz in my hands. so at least for the first ride I have nothing but good to say about the setup.
I've seen some less expensive ones online but don't know how they would compare and I had a coupon for Amazon plus the person buying them for me wanted me to get the name brand, not cheap like me! So I am very happy and blessed to have these and not have to worry about the grip Puppies dieing in less than 2 years, for what these cost after the coupon I could get 2 sets of grip puppies and from what i hear these last a whole lot longer than 3 or 4 years.
I know I said notes but you know me by now, it's gonna be a book! I'm a long winded Preacher, what do you expect!:grin2:

See less See more
#8 ·

I thought about heated grips but the money wasn't there for them plus with the extra hand guards and winter gloves I do fine in the 20's, any colder than that I won't need to ride unless an emergency and I have extra liners for that.

#9 ·
Nothing to be afraid of, the right grip goes on easy and if you start the left grip first before glue like I said above you'll be fine. Just don't glue up the whole left side and try and slide it on, not enough time. The glue they give is like supper glue, drys real fast. The stock grips had what looked like rubber cement and came off that easy too, I wouldn't want to have a grip come loose while riding.
Some where I read where someone used gorilla glue which would probably work great but takes longer to dry and expands and I didn't want to take a chance of glue oozing out and I didn't want to wait 2 days to ride it seeing I haven't ride since Monday I think. So I wanted to get them on and ride. They say it fully cures in 24 hours but in about 30 seconds you can't move them and the one that got stuck I had to scrape the rubber off the bar.

#10 ·
Yeah I have the same exact ones but in chrome. And will have the ends soon too. Talking about grips coming lose. Went and picked up a Harley for a friend and on the way home discovered that the left one turns completely around. Would have slid right off if I had pushed it left at all. Little un-nerving on corners. First thing I got him to buy was the Kuryakyns. Made for easy removal tho. All I had to do was slide it right off. Glad to hear you like the weights. That's the reason I got mine. Hoping they stop my hands from getting numb.

#12 ·
They should do the trick! I have Reynouds and any constant vibration gets my fingers numb quick and I didn't even feel it with this setup, works great! I can't play guitar with numb fingers and I lead worship along with all my Pastor duties, got to keep my fingers ready to play guitar!

#11 ·
Thanks for the write-up pastordave1, I just ordered the Chrome Kuryakyn ISO Grips a couple of days ago and they are scheduled to be delivered Thursday. Glad to know the videos I've watched are pretty much correct. Thanks also for the information about the "small print". I have a bad habit of not always reading the directions (at least that's what my wife says):grin2:

#14 ·
I installed Kuryakyn grips several years ago. They are much more comfortable than the stock. One note however. They came off in less than a day. Redid them and they stayed on for one and a half days. I had followed the directions. Called tech support. After the second time I thought there has to be a better way than super glue. I tried 3M black weather striping adhesive. More working time, more viscous so it stays where you put it and they haven't come off in 10 years. I had to remove them to replace cables and used a strap wrench and it came right off with no damage. Cleaned up the bar, replaced the adhesive and put the grip on. Made it real simple and clean.

#16 · (Edited)
I just ran across a link in the archives to this write up and I might try this next week when my grips arrive!
I do wonder if I can substitute Crown Royal for the Jack Daniels? Out of JD but got some Crown!

http://shadowaero750.com/mods/54/kurygrips.pdf

This sounds like something I would have tried 40 years ago!:surprise:

#21 · (Edited)
Wow. So sorry. Need to get the picks below. It's what I use all the time and never dropped one. Have a really awesome grip on them that is cut in and doesn't wear off. I know your case is a little different but I used to drop them all the time. They last forever. I bought a bunch when I found out i liked them but been using the same one for probably a year. Lose them mostly to people that barrow them :)

Snarling Dogs Brain Guitar Picks and Tin Box | Musician's Friend

#22 ·
That's funny in a coincidental way, those are what I use. I but 5 tins of red, green and purple and most of the time have to use green and sometimes purple and I use the red for solo practice only. An d yes I still drop them but no where near as much as others and I don't think I'll ever have to buy another pick, they last forever. I got a real good deal at the time I think $2.99 if I but that many so I did not knowing how long they would last. I gave most of the reds and some of the purples to my son but he uses even heavier so doesn't use them much except on his accoustic.
I have to take a small pill every day that helps a lot but I still have to really watch it.
It was a green one I dropped today but always have one in waiting ready to go in a second!
That's why I need to have the best non vibrating grips and foot pegs on my bike, I can pick up another pick but wouldn't want a foot or hand to go numb. Last week when I got these grips ordered I got some fingerless gloves with a slightly padded palm and because the Grip Puppies were so worn and the edge of the glove cut off vibrated at that point my middle finger went numb from that point up for 2 days. So I can't wear fingerless gloves either. Got some cheap padded mechanics gloves from Haber Frieght and the worked great, go figure! I got some thin bike glove when I got the bike and try ed them with the new grips and didn't feel a difference. They let more air in but if I wouldvever, and I pray I wont, fall the mechanics gloves seem much more protective on both sides and still let air in between the fingers for about 1/3 the price of the bike gloves I got a great deal on when I bought the bike.
Anyway, a long story for a short question!:grin2:
I used to preach short when I first started and did short worship and typed short outlines, now everything is much longer even forum posts. I think I get it from my dad, the thing is I used to hate sitting and listening to his long stories and said I'll never be like that. Never say never!
I better stop now and save some for later!
Oh, how did you're new pedal work out?

#24 ·
You'll love them, I didn't get the brake or shift pedal but got the iso foot pegs and iso grips and iso mini boards for the rear. The iso foot pegs work just as good as the grips, they are heavier than stock plus are padded better to soak up any vibration. Great combination plus it looks good with everything matching. I just don't have the money to spend on the brake and shift pedals and because they are not nessesarry for me my done doesn't want to buy them either but anything for safety or health/comfort I can get paid for and the rear mini boards were donated by a forum member and I used them in front until a few week ago because of my knees but they work great for the passenger and the large iso pegs work out great for me!

#31 ·
Ok, thanks, sounds like i'll need the lights. those others look good too. If i make it down to the store I'll see if they have them and try them out otherwise i'll just order the lights and see how they work, cheap enough and free shipping, can't beat that!

#35 ·
I just want to add one more thing here. I went for about a 60 mile ride today without any gloves just to check because I do ride a lot without them. The grips were just as good! The gloves didn't make any difference where as before the gloves would take up a little vibration, these grips with the weights take it all and you don't need padded palm gloves. I have 2 pair one with very little if any padding and one with a good amount and try ed it all three ways, both gloves and no gloves and there was no noticeable difference in vibration at all so I can ride with thin or no gloves and get a better feel without gloves in the way! Of course that will change in the winter.:wink2:

#40 ·
@pastordave, Glad you are getting your bike more comfortably to ride.
You really need to stop getting goodies for your bike!!!,,,LOL. What is the model # of those grips? I have been looking at the ISO grips because I have trouble with my hands going numb a lot more than they use to. I wear fingerless gloves, started wearing them for the "cool" factor but then found that being padded palms it made it like a larger diameter grip which also helped with the numbness. I take it that the ISO grips are larger diameter than the stock grips.? I usually only ride gloveless when it is raining, my stock grips feel "sticky" when I am not wearing gloves.

How do you like the "lever thingy", sorry, forgot what it is called. I was thinking about one of them or some kind of throttle "lock" for mine. I saw a video on youtube where a guy made a throttle lock with a couple of washer/spacers and shims. Looked easy enough to make.

I just noticed the luggage rack on your bike Dave. It looks really good,,,here I go again,,,I will have to design and build one. I made a mount that bolts to the sissy bar that holds 3 flag poles. I use 3/8" rod for the poles and just hold them in with a "hair pin". I will get some pics of it this weekend and share.

Eric

#42 ·
The grips are Kuryakyn Iso grips part NO. 6340
If you want the end weights they are Kuryakyn part no. 6339
The other thing is called a Cramp Buster CB4 throttle mounted cruise assist, that's the wide and larger around model which with the included rubber base fits perfect on the end weight.
The grips are a little longer, a lot with the end weights, and are bigger around which I was already used to be ouse they are really close to what the OEM's were with the Grip Puppies on. Probably a little over 1/4" bigger around than stock. I love the size and have no problems with them and I have fairly small hands so I think they would be good for just about anyone.

I'd like to see those flg poles, wanted to get one but they are way too much so I'll need to make one also.

#41 ·
Well got my Kuryakyn throttle assist today but it didn't go so well. It was used so it was half the price of the new but when I put it on it won't lock the throttle. It feels like something is stripped inside it. The chrome end is supposed to tighten against the throttle but it doesn't move in when you turn it :( So he refunded half and I will just use it for an end weight for now till I get a new one. Didn't want to spend the money. They are $80. So Dave my setup will be like yours for now. Just two end weights.

And yes Phantom the throttle boss on mine is an awesome help. Although sometimes my hand catches on it and I give it gas without wanting to :) I have the one that mounts under the end cap so it's permanent but is adjustable. I think Pastordave has the one that slips over and he can move his on the fly.

#43 ·
Thanks Daves31, I will try to find the video that I was talking about where the guy made a throttle assist and post it here.

The grips are Kuryakyn Iso grips part NO. 6340
If you want the end weights they are Kuryakyn part no. 6339
The other thing is called a Cramp Buster CB4 throttle mounted cruise assist, that's the wide and larger around model which with the included rubber base fits perfect on the end weight.
The grips are a little longer, a lot with the end weights, and are bigger around which I was already used to be ouse they are really close to what the OEM's were with the Grip Puppies on. Probably a little over 1/4" bigger around than stock. I love the size and have no problems with them and I have fairly small hands so I think they would be good for just about anyone.

I'd like to see those flg poles, wanted to get one but they are way too much so I'll need to make one also.
Thanks Dave, If I can remember to look in my toolbox tomorrow I think I still have my notes from making my flag pole mount. I can post that too if you like the pics. I will try to get pics taken friday and get them posted.

#47 ·
You know what they say Dave, 20 minutes is long enough for a good message and to long for a bad one. Lol. Love the grips and weights I put them on mine a few months ago big difference in feel.

#48 ·
So turns out I have stock weights in my handlebars. It is a bar about 8" long with rubber spacer on both end and a clip that holds it at the end of the bar. The Kuryakyns won't fit with that in. Should I completely remove them or should I just remove the end clip and just push them into the bar further? I don't think they would slide around. The rubber washer holds them against the inside of the handlebar.

#49 · (Edited)
Mine hAve built in weights also, don't know how big because I dint try to pull them out. The Kuryakyn weights just screw onto the Kuryakyn grips so no need to even touch the existing weights. It just adds more to make even less vibration.
I just saw you said it won't fit, post a pic so I can see it, yours must be a little different but there is a clip on mine and the instructions say to file it down so the grip slides over it if it's like mine that should work and still have plenty left of the clip to hold the weight in place. But it may be different being different bars but I can't imagine having to take the weight out.

#51 ·
yes, that is totally different. I guess i would try to push the stock weights in further to not loose that advantage or if they weight less than the Kuryakyns per inch you could cut off enough of the stock ones off to make the Kuryakyns fit.

#54 ·
I took a socket extension and a hammer and tapped them in. They are pretty tight plus they go all the way to the curve and only about half inch from stem of the weights so most they can move is half an inch

Ride like no one is watching. They're probably not.

#56 ·
This is the next addition to the bike for me.....my hands are hurting and I need a little larger diameter grip.

Thanks for the write up.
I hope you didn't over torque the screws that came with those grips.

#58 ·
Yes Vito, they are comfy, you won't be disappointed. I hear grip puppies are ok for a year or so...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#61 ·
Not a stab, Dave said himself they were good for a year, and he liked them, just wished they lasted longer. Surely Pastor knows I was half joking, but kinda serious too for Vito to have instant help...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.