Honda Shadow Forums banner

Top speed?

35K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  "Captain D" 
#1 ·
2012 shadow spirit c2. I'm 290pounds, with the throttle pinned it will get up to 85 this is with 89 octane.
Should I be getting more out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
My 1998 VT1100T hits 100 mph on speedo without much problem. Likely translates to a true 90 mph or so with the speedo error. I haven't held it long enough at that speed to see if it will go faster. Need a better road for that.

You don't say anything about aftermarket exhaust etc as that will have an impact on performance.

I would think you should be able to get a bit better than 85. Regular gas 87 octane will give you a better ( quicker ) burn rate.

#7 ·
I love the carb after years of EFI. The simplicity is a welcome friend.

With regard to the OP......Yeah
close to 300lbs will require more "powah' to reach higher speeds. Passing requires a power reserve as well. I'm 170 the wife is 105. I cannot imagine buying a 750 with that combined weight, She doesn't like riding so I don't need more than a carbureted 1200cc of bike.

#9 ·
Hmm... I weight 195 lbs and my wife... well... isn't the 120 lb woman I married 34 years ago, not that I care.

One late summer day we were on my VLX trying to outrun a NASTY thunderstorm. We were traveling 85 mph on the Interstate and that wasn't full throttle. Don't know how much it had left but it wasn't topped out. The wife wasn't happy we were going that fast but, we did make it home dry...:smile2:

#11 ·
2012 shadow spirit c2. I'm 290pounds, with the throttle pinned it will get up to 85 this is with 89 octane.
Should I be getting more out of it?
When I had my 2012 Shadow Aero (750) with saddle bags and windshield I could get a max of 85 mph on the dial mostly. Occasionally on a downhill with the wind at my back, push to 90 (a few miles off for correction.) I run between 200 and 220 lbs.

My wife and I together on the bike I could hit 90. Between us we were about 15 lbs over the data plate. The only way I figure that happened was the saddlebags were pretty flat in front and acted as air dams. When the wife was on her legs were rounder and split the wind around the bags. Either that or the bike just like having her one too and it was personal.

So without a bunch of aftermarket work and dyno-tuning I wouldn't expect more than 85. Thing is the bike would run 80 all day. Is it that important your bike have a higher top end or just something that would be cool? I would have found it to be cool if my bike would hit 100, but the bike was quick enough and plenty of fun as it was.

My Aero, even loaded to and a tad beyond the data plate didn't lack for power riding us around two up, even up and down big hills and regular speeds. It was just too tight and cramped for the passenger and it killed the wife's knees riding. I even had a 22 old, trim, 5"10" girl who would ride with me sometimes. Even her knees would start to hurt.

#12 ·
750 ACE. With the wife we are about 330 combined. I've been a little over 90 with it pinned. Was still picking up but very slowly. I would guess about 95 max. Maybe if i was alone it would do 100. These are cruisers. If it was a street bike model then you could do 120. maybe little more.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm 260 and my wife is 120. together i can get it , keep it at 140kmph ( 85 ish)

Alone i've had it at 160 / 99..

All of this with the batwing and bags.

My 750 nighthawk on the other hand was doing easily 200 kmph / 125 mph.

But that's v twin vs inline 4.

My project is to turn it into either a cafe or bobber.

Attachments

#23 ·
I have a 2015 Phantom 750, weight about 265, and run 85 mph with no problem, and pass with ease if I need to (did it for about 80 miles last night). I know I have been to 90 and a little more, had throttle left. Never tried to max it out.[

I am 250 with a 2013 750 Aero, and have the same stats. No problems with power on the highway at all. It gets there fast as well. Seems to be all the bike I need. I have no desire to go plus 100 mph anymore.

On another note, I just love the sound of hitting the throttle on this bike; the V-twin sounds awesome on these bikes, and I have the original exhaust....

#39 ·
I guess I misspoke a bit on my comments:
I have had my 750 at 90 many times, and it did have more; thats as fast as I want to go.
80-85 is no problem at all, and gets there fast.
With the batwing on, it rides like a cadillac! The speed and comfort will probably be all I will ever want. And alot of the driving I do is off the main highway here in Nova Scotia.

#26 ·
My dyno-tuned 2013 Aero would get to about 97-98 and it would take its sweet time getting there.. Realistically, I'm guessing that's about all it had..

Useable power? It would accelerate quickly up-to 85, then the rest would come in time. Accelerating from 75-85 .. Dropping a gear for the run-up, not too bad.. It'll do just fine on most interstates.. It'll thrum like a tuning fork at higher revs though, but it can operate at those speeds all day long.

The air up in these mountains is pretty-thin, though. Normally, I ride at between 5000 and 8000 feet.. Occasionally I'll head into the valley, but I don't tend to speed, and those roads are 65mph, so, nothing but a thing.

#27 ·
Interstate travel??

Yes, my 98 VT 750 runs with the "Big Dogs" at them speeds, ALL Day Long too!!!
Our 2011 Sturgis trip involved 10 hours one day...
I`ve logged many 9 hour days on interstate and or rural roads during some of my other adventures...
I`ve put 103,000 Miles on my Baby,
D

She has 43,000+ Miles showing

#28 · (Edited)
I continue to be somewhat stunned by the apparent lackluster performance people are saying they're getting or have gotten from their 750 Shadows.:serious:

I'm not bragging or playing my ****'s bigger than yours but, the stretch of road I was on Saturday is about 2 miles long, straight and flat. I was traveling around 55-60 mph in 4th (top gear) and rolled on the throttle. I would guess somewhere before halfway I was at 90 mph and the bike was still accelerating when I backed out of it. Maybe someday I'll find the bigger set I had when I was younger and just see what the bike is really capable of. Or just not worry about it...:smile2:

I just can't fathom that I could run 74 mph on that same stretch of road on my 234cc Rebel, and some seem to have problems getting their 750 Shadow to do 90 mph??? Shoot, before swapping out the stock front sprocket, the Rebel would crowd 80 mph.

#33 ·
All you guys disclosing your spouse's weight. I guess you put down good money for comfy sofa ensembles.

FWIW.....My VStar 1300 has a cut out exhaust, drilled air box, K & N air filter, and a Cobra Power Commander. It accelerates very nicely in any gear, any speed. The speedo hit 110 mph on the PA Turnpike last year. The bike had some left.....I did not.
Oh, and that 110 reading? I'm certain I was 100+, but not a true 110.
It's a 'just right' bike for my wife and I.

#34 · (Edited)
My 93 VT1100C with airbox opened hole saw mod to baffles and rejeted has been to 115mph on the speedo that I saw... But it has also has the GPS top speed record of 175kph without trying to get a top speed run (was trying to catch a truck before the strait finished, plenty of time in the end)..... Still seamed to be pulling and not anywhere near top revs..... But I am picking it would be getting near its top speed... not ever tried to run it until it stops in top gear as not many back road straits around that don't have police waiting (Vehicle impounded at that speed if caught) :p

#35 ·
Yeah, my Bike fits me...
I have found that IF I had a faster Bike, I`d be spending more HondaBuck$ on speeding tickets...
Chickenmans 1100 Road star, Our Son Johns 1300 VTX, Chickemans Goldwing and my Magna showed me that!
I`d look down at the speedo and let off!!!

Lets RIDE,
D

#46 ·
Yeah, my Bike fits me...
I have found that IF I had a faster Bike, I`d be spending more HondaBuck$ on speeding tickets...
Chickenmans 1100 Road star, Our Son Johns 1300 VTX, Chickemans Goldwing and my Magna showed me that!
I`d look down at the speedo and let off!!!

Lets RIDE,
D
2016 comments I`d made...
I tried "Quote" button but that didn`t work...

100 is about all mine`ll do....
I have run with the big dogs on interstate all day long though,
Dennis

#36 ·
I worked a local Honda dealer way back 29 years ago, everything was carburated and 750 cc's where much faster than the FI bikes now. 100 mph was nothing. I think Honda ( all manufactures ) have tuned the computer to just stop giving it gas at such and such speed, they say "that's just fast enough" Look at all the post and all the carburated bike are faster than FI bikes. On the flip side lets talk fuel mileage! :)

#37 · (Edited)
I worked a local Honda dealer way back 29 years ago, everything was carburated and 750 cc's where much faster than the FI bikes now. 100 mph was nothing. )
I'm surprised at the speeds of the newer shadows being reported so low as well. My stock carburetor chain drive 2003 Vt750dc did 105 and I stopped it there. It took a minute to get up there. I'm 270 lbs.
My 1300...I stopped at 120 with more throttle left. It did not take any time to get there...but it's almost twice the CC'S as a 750.

#38 ·
Fast enough for me!!

Yup, I can reach speeds that`re Fast enough...

Now IF I were to be on the track?
Ain`t faster Better???

I reckon just faster than #2 spot is all I`d need, huh?

Kinda like you & me running from the Bear,
D

Gonna Ride Today!

#40 ·

I have a shadow ace 2001 with some tricks!!
I put on it 132 mph with a hayabusa side by side for the spped test..because mine dont show that speed, Im 185 lbs

the bike run great....but when try to reduce ..the bike lost the control on the rear wheel. an go crazy side by side until stop

I have a very heavy weight bike and have a 18 x 250 rear aluminum wheel and the bike act like a paper on the air

BTW..never do that agin.. :crying:

#41 ·
I have a shadow ace 2001 with some tricks!!
That be some tricks! Maybe launch a thread and share some of your secrets?

I think my Vic' would barely crack 135.. My Tiger, too.

I'm not much of a speed freak.. But I do tend to stumble across all kinds of Butt-Monkeys who will do 20mph less than suggested in the twisties, and then wind it out closer to a hundred when I get to straight stretches and where it's legal to overtake..

Almost been cleared up twice because of that on my Aero.. Came very close one time, it was the reason why I went bigger..

Did 115 on my Vic, once.. For the very-same reasons as indicated above. Can't say I'm too comfortable at those speeds.. My Tiger, which has much better acceleration, I have never had to wind that thing out faster than 95.

It's the reason I prize acceleration over top speed. I like to be around these penile-impaired-much-man "types" before they decide they want to race for bragging rights, at this rider's expense..

#45 ·
Agreed, IME (Ducati, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki) it takes a pretty stout 250 to top 100 mph, somewhere around 30 hp with a light bike and rider and baring nitrous oxide or a turbo a 250 Rebel with between 16 and 19 hp depending on the year is just not going to make that much power no matter what you do, they also weigh about 350 lbs wet.
I can believe 80-85 would be going flat out, that's where my Triumph Trophy 250 would top out too. (-:

#48 ·
Agreed, IME (Ducati, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki) it takes a pretty stout 250 to top 100 mph, somewhere around 30 hp with a light bike and rider and baring nitrous oxide or a turbo a 250 Rebel with between 16 and 19 hp depending on the year is just not going to make that much power no matter what you do, they also weigh about 350 lbs wet.
I can believe 80-85 would be going flat out, that's where my Triumph Trophy 250 would top out too. (-:
A 250 Ninja can get close to 105 mph. with 29 hp. but it was designed to cut the wind much like the Honda CBR250 @ about 87 mph. and it has 26 hp. and my XL250 which had 20.5 hp. would do 80 mph (stock gearing) @ redline of 8,000 rpm. A 250 Rebel @ 19 hp. can barely get out of its own way. Now a 450 Rebel.....

#49 ·
Wondering though???
Will a 38 teeth rear sprocket get more MPHs???
I don`t need any more, just curious,
Dennis

Gonna bite the bullet this time & go 38 T rear

#50 ·
Wondering though???
Will a 38 teeth rear sprocket get more MPHs???
I don`t need any more, just curious,
On paper it is worth about 8 mph more top speed based solely on the gearing change, but things are rarely as simple as they first seem.
In reality since the engine doesn't make a whole lot of power to start with, I'm thinking it might actually slow down and with a windshield in the mix I can pretty much guarantee it.

#51 ·
Yeah @CSRoad you know mine is set up for ALL year riding with windshield and wind blocking air dams too...
I`m happy with keeping up with traffic, I gave up my "speed demon" days a LONG time ago... ;)
I just said I was gonna do it so I AM this chain & sprocket change...
I don`t remember whose Bikeit was which I rode with 38 T rear...
BUT I told him I would,
Dennis

Gotta try it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.