Seat suggestion - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:49 AM

Garage
Watch out for adding something on TOP of the seat, because that could set you up higher, and you might have to raise your windshield to keep the wind from hitting you in the forehead. I tried just a gel pad set on top, but didn't seem to do enough, and would get hot in the summer. I also tried another gel pad that had foam around it in a sheepskin cover, which my wife got me, but that pushed me UP a couple inches, and the wind over my windshield was smacking me in the face, PLUS I felt less like I was IN the bike and more like I was ON the bike, making it FEEL like I was LESS in control and more "detached" from it. I've heard the bead seat covers can help some, but they have the same trouble with the windshield. Of course, if you don't HAVE a windshield, I guess that doesn't matter.

Keep a keen eye open on the lookout for a Mustang. I found one on eBay for about $300 shipped, which isn't too bad. It is WELL worth it!! I feel like I'm even MORE down IN the bike, more "one" with my machine, AND I feel like I've got more lower back support, which makes it WONDERFUL!!

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer View Post
Watch out for adding something on TOP of the seat, because that could set you up higher, and you might have to raise your windshield to keep the wind from hitting you in the forehead. I tried just a gel pad set on top, but didn't seem to do enough, and would get hot in the summer. I also tried another gel pad that had foam around it in a sheepskin cover, which my wife got me, but that pushed me UP a couple inches, and the wind over my windshield was smacking me in the face, PLUS I felt less like I was IN the bike and more like I was ON the bike, making it FEEL like I was LESS in control and more "detached" from it. I've heard the bead seat covers can help some, but they have the same trouble with the windshield. Of course, if you don't HAVE a windshield, I guess that doesn't matter.

Keep a keen eye open on the lookout for a Mustang. I found one on eBay for about $300 shipped, which isn't too bad. It is WELL worth it!! I feel like I'm even MORE down IN the bike, more "one" with my machine, AND I feel like I've got more lower back support, which makes it WONDERFUL!!
Good advice. I don't have a windshield, but I may one day. I am scouting for a mustang seat. I am going to go with the basic black one vs. the other models. New I am finding them around 400.

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:55 AM

Garage
Before i'd go to that extreme for a seat, I think i'd go see a doctor. I don't even wanna know what fits in that pocket!

2007 Shadow Spirit VT750C2, Ride bell by h13man, Ride cross by Capt D
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:54 AM

Seriously...check out Astech Seats before you lock in on other options.
Another HSN member here recommended them and I couldn't have been more pleased with the result.
It was ultra comfy and in your case would be reasonably priced if you only went for the comfort upgrade.
They are also very good people.

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:12 PM

I have a Corbin Gunfighter seat and I've done an 8 hour ride only making stops for gas and lunch. While I was a bit stiff from the ride, I wouldn't say I was uncomfortable. However, I will admit, I only bought it because I liked the look and I was able to find a used one that was cheap and local. I've had a couple of Corbin's now, and I've been happy with both of them.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

I tried a pro pad, note the past tense "tried",,$90.00 bucks, and never did more than 300 miles on it. Moved it to my desk chair until it started leaking.
Got a "only used for 30 minutes" mustang wide tourer and have never regretted it. Got mine for $200.00 from a member that later got to be TOO much for our site.
The pro pad does lift you up some, but no more than the mustang. Got em all put on before I put the windshield on so readjusting the windshield wasn't an issue for me..
good luck on your decision.

2006 vlx
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivesolas View Post
Good advice. I don't have a windshield, but I may one day. I am scouting for a mustang seat. I am going to go with the basic black one vs. the other models. New I am finding them around 400.
Mine was new, too. You just have to look and keep looking to find the better deals on the same thing. Usually, eBay will show you "suggestions" below the listing you're looking at, and sometimes down at the very bottom of the listing, they'll have more. Some of them are cheaper than the one you're looking at, and if you look at those cheaper ones, sometimes in their "suggestions" you'll find another even cheaper yet. That's how I find the best deals on stuff on eBay. Keep looking until I don't find any cheaper, but the same thing for more, then I know I've got the "rock bottom" price. Depending on shipping, which I usually try to stick with "free" only, I might go with one that cost a little more, if I can receive it quicker, since much of what I find is coming from China, and can take a month or more to arrive to me. Sometimes, I'll even compare the same item with what I can find on Amazon, and see if the prices are at least close to each other.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
When I had my Spirit, I was also dealing with tailbone pain due to an autoimmune issue.
It was very painful BEFORE I got on the bike, riding made it MUCH WORSE.

I needed a solution and found a great one.
I posted about >>here<<.
Astech Seats frequently asked questions including pricing info.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS OPTION.
This is how it turned out...
That is one beautiful seat! They did a nice job.

[IMG][/IMG]
2013 Honda Shadow Aero750
Mustang Seat
Memphis Shades Batwing
12 inch tinted black windshield
Custom World Backrest
Lindby bars
Hondaline Saddlebags
Cobra front wheel hub
Kuryakyn grips
Cobra floorboards
Bike Master Wide View Flame Mirrors
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 03:57 AM

Mustang wide tourer. Got mine and can ride as long as I want to now. Just know it'll sit you up a couple inches higher so if you're short like me you can't stand flat footed anymore.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:56 AM

Garage
I cant go more than 120 miles before I run out of gas so I stop often and the seat is OK so far.Someday I will look though and have seen some good subjection's here.

Last edited by Steve C; 01-15-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page