Road Trip Question - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Road Trip Question

So thinking about joining my two friends both own HD's for a road trip from Hampton Beach, NH to Virginia Coastal Islands and back.

Now my bike Shadow 1100 Aero C3 has 83K miles but runs excellent. I would get the bike completely check out at the local Honda dealer.

Will my bike make it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:38 PM

Will your bike make it? Why wouldn't it?
If you doubt it, can YOU make it? If in decent shape that bike will do everything it needs to for many more years!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ride Bell By OldDad
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:31 PM

go for it, if any questions on if it will make it get some towing ins. such as aaa or ama or others. if you have a major breakdown get it towed to a U-Haul to get it home. more than likely you will not have any problems.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:37 AM

Garage
New bikes break too,read about these guys.Story - 6 On Asphalt

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 AM

Make sure you have some tools, oil, and maby some extra fuel line and electrical wire if you do it. I'm not saying your bike won't make, as it's been said before why wouldn't it if it's running right. I just think those items should be on every bike for every ride no matter the condition of the bike or length of trip. Paln for the worst and hope for the best is my motto because the unexpected does happen.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:43 AM

You should have no problem, just make sure your buddies get some of these.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

2001 Valkyrie I/S
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoaquin99 View Post
So thinking about joining my two friends both own HD's for a road trip from Hampton Beach, NH to Virginia Coastal Islands and back.

Now my bike Shadow 1100 Aero C3 has 83K miles but runs excellent. I would get the bike completely check out at the local Honda dealer.

Will my bike make it?

Thanks
If your bike will make it to the store and back, it should make it to the Islands and back just as easily. I'm going out on a limb and assume you haven't had this particular bike very long.........

If so.....

Excellent idea having a Honda dealer, or any other professional m/c mechanic, go over your bike. Once you get it back, keep it maintained. It's pretty simple to do. 1100 Shadows love the open road. It'll cruise easily at highway and freeway speeds. Some people feel they get a little squirelly at high speeds, but that can be pretty subjective. Mechanically though, the bike should do fine. 83k miles isn't too much for a well maintained bike.
With this being your first (again, I assume) distance ride, you're going to pack too much, and hopefully learn a lot. Some people will recommend you pack an entire extra bike and a full tool set, others (me) recommend the bikes original tool set, a roll of electrical tape and two bottles of water. The correct answer is probably somewhere in between.
Enjoy your ride and hopefully we'll see you back here regaling us with stories of your adventure and educate us on what you learned.

Enjoy.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway
HAFND
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Folks,

Thanks for all the replies. I am in pretty good shape for a 57 yr. old. I like the suggestions and they just upped my confidence to do this. You are correct never did a long road trip, will be my first. Aside from riding into upper state NH and Maine coast I never did this.

I'm in the process of making a custom rack so I can mount a hard case on it for more space. I'll post a picture when I'm done. Not sure if anyone out there makes one big enough so being a Machinist by trade, I'll whip it up.

I will install some type of cruise control device on it also.

Again thanks and forums are the only place to get real opinions!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:52 PM

When looking for throttle locks consider: https://www.amazon.com/ATLAS-Throttl.../dp/B01ITTYF86.

One thing to remember when riding with your H/D buddies. More than likely they will be able to go a lot farther between gas stations than you. I'm not sure the exact legs on your bike, some members here do know..... hopefully.... but make sure you have a good idea of when you need to start looking for fuel before you take off and ALL of you are aware and in agreement.

Londonderry, NH: Wasn't that were CrazyDave is/was from?

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another" Ernest Hemingway
HAFND
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:23 PM

I have a 1 gallon can that is made for saddle bags I carry when I go to far off the beaten patch. I know I am good for 149mi. on the main and figure I should be good for about 30 more on res. I am pretty sure I can run most harleys out of gas before I do. They may have a little bigger tanks but get much worse fuel mileage. At least with all my H.D. friends. I agree with you don't need many tools. These bikes are super reliable.

1995 VT1100 Ace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page