Honda Shadow Forums banner

What did you NOT do to your bike today?

13K views 136 replies 46 participants last post by  Chiller Mike 
#1 · (Edited)
The thread "What did you do to your bike today" has almost 13,000 replies. Wow. BUT... it has 461,000 views. I thought about those 448 thousand viewers that did not reply: we looked, but did nothing. Are we slackers for doing nothing? Maybe. Have we been left out? Yes!!

Calling all "slackers" out there to contribute. Here's things I did NOT DO (to my bike today):

1. Every year, I read all the posts about better lighting but I still have the original.

2. Not quite as often, I read the posts about horns. Once every year I check mine and it still goes "meep". If it stopped going "meep" I'm not sure what I would do. Probably nothing.

3. My seat seems OK. If I changed it, it might be worse.

4. My bikes are in storage for the winter. I have not removed the battery, I have not lifted the frame. I have not drained carbs. Hope is OK, isn't it?

What did you NOT DO to your bike today??

G.

See less See more
#4 ·
I didn't by that nice trany chrome trim I've been looking at, truthfully it's been to cold to even linger in the garage long enough to look the bikes over although last time I looked I did have a small layer of dust on them.

#10 ·
not a daym thing.
Again today.

~Gnarly

Brer Bill says Infancy was so much fun, he is now looking forward to Adultery.

#14 ·
I haven't installed my new, longer, braided steel throttle and clutch cables yet because a) too much snow here in VA over the last few days and I have no garage, and b) I am still recovering from my crash and don't have enough use of my right arm yet.

#15 ·
I didn't do a damn thing to any of my bikes but I did tell my son to go out and kick over the 2-stroke KX and ride it around for a bit to "run some fuel through it". When he got back and looked almost thawed out I sent him back out to crank up all the battery start 4-strokes to "keep the batteries from draining". When he was done with that I watched him roll the Honda in to the shop and put it on the trickle charger as the battery was dead. I felt pretty good about my efforts and rewarded myself with a beer.

#16 ·
I think this weekend if I'm feeling I won't go out and knock the mud and dirt off from my last ride. if I'm feeling extra motivated I won't bother removing the one good bark buster left on my KLX after I twisted the other side like a pretzel. Bike seems to ride just fine with only one. My son won't be home so I can't assign the duties either.

#18 ·
So far so good: we are well on our way to 13,000 don't do it posts!

Here's another non-activity from me:

Sept 12th my VT1100C2 went into hibernation. Dec 10th I started the winter oil change. Started. Did NOT finish. The oil drain plug is still out. So that's about 30 days of oil draining. Probably done. Next up is take off the filter. I don't want to rush into it so ... February?

G.

#22 ·
Excellent job @gdb069 . As you are well aware, rushing a task like this can only end in premature engine annihilation. It is quite important to ensure ALL contaminated oil in the crankcase is sufficiently removed prior to putting in the fresh stuff. 30 days of draining is barely adequate.... bare minimum. I'd strongly recommend an additional 30 days. It is wise that you have refrained from removing the oil filter also. Rushing in to projects like that can only result in disaster. Remember it is quite important that once the used oil filter is removed, you must drill a hole in the top of it and allow it to drain for a minimum of 48 hours prior to disposing of it in the public trash. Also it is quite important to ensure any residual oil that might of escaped that offending filter have adequate time to drain from the engine before installing a new filter. I truly hope that you have layed in a sufficient stock of adult beverages, either frothy malt based or distilled to consume during this demanding project. One MUST stay hydrated! Your oil draining project narrowly misses being transferred to the "What did you do" thread due to its complexity and demands. Please keep us informed on your progress....... or lack thereof!
my .02 anyway.

@Sundown : I've found that if I make life miserable enough for them when they live with me that when they graduate school and turn of age they happily pack their bags and L E A V E! My oldest received two plastic WalMart bags and an eye pad upon her HS graduation. I called it matching luggage. Little did I know the pad I gave her wasn't what she had been asking for...

#23 · (Edited)
Squid is concerned I am too aggressive in the oil change procedure: it may not have sufficiently drained in 30 days so I thought I would check. My ACE is parked sideways behind a car in the garage, close to the garage door and so I pushed the button to open the garage door and went to check. While I was lying on the ground, half in and half out of the garage my GF came out, did not see me, saw the garage door opened and pushed the button to close.

So I am lying here, squished under the garage door. OK cause its only -5C (23F) and she will come out in an hour or so to go to yoga class. Fortunately I have my smartphone so I can post messages. Unfortunately she is not answering my calls, maybe in shower.

On the plus side, I am able to run the flashlight app and determine the oil is no longer draining.

While lying here I have decided NOT to put a Ride bell on the bike as it would diminish the profile and add weight.

G.

#24 ·
Can you still feel your extremities? If not, concentrate on a visual of your girlfriend in the shower. It should help with stimulating blood flow. Can you take a picture of the oil drain and color of removed oil in the pan?
I'm here for you buddy.......

#27 ·
I have not even looked at my bike or been in the garage that it's being kept in since my husband pulled the battery and winterized it for me back in November. I didn't even do that myself this year. I WAS too busy and now it's just too depressing to look at it. Only 4 months to go...

#29 · (Edited)
Well, I was squished under the garage door for 2 hours and didn't see 1 drop of oil, so definitely 30 days is enough for oil to drain. Unfortunately using my cell flashlight app for an hour to look for oil dripping, also drained my cell phone, so I could not call for help.

However I was able to grasp a "Too Do" sheet (Obviously nothing ever on them), and use some of the drained oil to scrawl a message. The drained oil looked and felt pretty good. (Rotella T6 and Fram)

I decided to NOT replace the crush washer and worse I decided to NOT put the drain bolt back in since its cold out but I will do it in February.

G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.