Honda Shadow Forums banner

Starting the bike in gear.

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Mslissy 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've just become a learner rider and purchased a 2013 VT400. I'm in the process of practising and have found that when i stall the bike, i'm unable to start it in gear (with clutch in) and have to move it back into neutral. I'm hoping as i master taking off, stalling will happen far less, but find this to be a very dangerous feature, if stuck at a set of traffic lights and have to muck around with gears before starting the bike again.

I've read the book and it does not say in there anywhere that i am unable to start it in gear, only when the side stand is down. I am going to talk to the dealer who sold me the bike, but thought i would see if anyone else could shed some light on this?

#4 ·
You might check to see that the safety switch on the clutch is plugged in...
The MAGNA Did that to Chickenman once, I found a wire had come off that switch...

Hopefully that`s it...

Welcome

Today we RIDE,
D
SEE optics by MSF

#6 ·
You might check to see that the safety switch on the clutch is plugged in...
The MAGNA Did that to Chickenman once, I found a wire had come off that switch...

Hopefully that`s it...

Welcome

Today we RIDE,
D
SEE optics by MSF

I agree with the Cap'n on this,,,sounds like a faulty or un plugged clutch switch.:smile2:

#5 ·
As long as the clutch lever is pulled in and the side stand is up....the engine should start. you shouldn't have to flick a switch or anything else.

Look to the side stand switch at the pivot and also the clutch switch on the bars, first.

#7 · (Edited)
And or Kickstand switch...As gat mentioned... @Mslissy bring it over we`ll look at it with ya...
Better Yet, I`ll come across the water to you... :D

Today we RIDE,
D
SEE optics by MSF

#9 ·
Hold on, @Mslissy.....since the weather is bound to be better Down Under, we are organizing a trip.....Hell, we'll ALL come see you!

And welcome to HSN.

~Gnarly

Brer Bill says Infancy was so much fun, he is now looking forward to Adultery.

#15 ·
@[B said:
Mslissy[/B] did you figure out something on the issue???
Good Morning HSN
D
Hi.... i'm taking it back to the dealer next week, they think it might be a faulty switch or just dirty contacts.... as long as they fix it... cos being a new rider and stalling it at times, it's a little dangerous mucking around trying to find Neutral when there's other cars and trucks bearing down on you!!:serious:

#17 · (Edited)
Brer Bill is better, thanx.

Yes. Coming out of retirement. Didn't think I actually would.

Not really materialistic, but money talks. Just kinda whispers.

Serious money, though....serious money ROARS.

Like a Triked Valk with dual SuperTrapps.

Yes. Hard to admit, but I'm a wh_ _ e.

~Gnarly

Brer Bill says Infancy was so much fun, he is now looking forward to Adultery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.