Honda Shadow Forums banner

Foiled plans again

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  bigolepit 
#1 ·
Anyone else have the same problem here. I need to take the carbs off and do some minor things( raising needles, check float level, ECT) basically tweaking the carbs after a rebuild and rejetted. That means taking the tank off which in itself is no issue. The problem I'm having is every time I plan a day to this I decided I'm gonna take a short ride to get a bit more gas out of the nearly empty tank and it never fails. The sun peaks out as if to say keep on riding or I stop off at a friend's house and they say hey let's go cruise and to a gas station I go to fuel up for a ride. I am my own biggest obstacle in getting this simple job done. I think I might need to go to some sort of motorcycle addiction rehabilitation clinic.............Yea I'm gonna do that right away as soon as I finish building my supper secret mega lawn care robot, yea that's my plan I think ?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Reminds me of the song lyrics in "Snoopy & the Red Barron"
"Curses, Foiled Again"...
Keep it "on the front burner", you`ll get to it...
AND remember, "A woman does NOT need to remind the Man, every six months, he has not completed his "Honey Do List""...

Having a Great day,
D

#6 ·
I know I know It's easy to do . I have to drain my tank when I take it off. My tank don't have a petcock, it free flows to the so called reserve tank where the fuel pump pulls from. The fuel shutoff is between the reserve and the pump so I like to be low on gas when I take it off. It's just so easy to convince me to fill it up and go riding lol.

#7 ·
bigolepit I know what you mean. The old 750's don't have a way to shut off fuel below the main tank. So I try to get it up high enough and put long needle nose pliers in there to squeeze the large hose and then control the drip from the small hose and pull it off quick to keep from getting gas all over, but it doesn't work very well.
So I just get away fast with gas dripping all over and then pick up the soaked rags and say a few words. If you can run it out on the main tank that works best. :cry:

#8 ·
@ swifty2014 Getting the fuel out to take the tank of isn't the problem my friend. IV ran the main tank down to empty 3 times in the last 2 weeks so it only had gas in the reserve just for the purpose of doing this simple job. The issue is my will power, either the weather is to nice to not be riding or a buddy coaxes me into a ride ( which isn't hard to coax me into lol ) so I fill the tank back up and put myself back at square one lol.

#12 ·
Doesn't sound like a problem to me. I think you are doing exactly the right thing. I'm a strong believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it , anything else is OCD !"

For moral support go to Topic: "What did you NOT do to your bike today ?"

Be patient , a day when you can't do much else will come soon enough. >:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.