First Ride Report, and more questions... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool First Ride Report, and more questions...

I finally got my bike yesterday (thought it would have been Monday but the shop apparently is closed on Monday) so this past weekend I took the BRC and we were on Honda Nighthawks, enjoyable bike. Learned lots and can't imagine why any new rider wouldn't take that course. Got feeling pretty confident on that Nighthawk by the end of the course, could do the slow turn maneuvers pretty well, not perfect, but pretty well. Passed w/o problem and all that, so yay! anyway... yesterday I rode about 24 miles after picking up my Phantom, about 10 miles home and then another 14 or so mostly in a empty parking lot (which is about 5 miles from my house) practicing all my slow turns mostly and some fast stopping. It was a great day!

The additional 200lbs on this bike is quite noticable over the Nighthawk. I hope that in due time I will feel as nimble on the Phantom as I did on the Nighthawk (keep in mind that I was never an expert on the Nighthawk and hope to be near expert on the Shadow someday). I gave myself the goal of being able to do a slow U-turn and keep the bike inside 2 parking spaces, I didn't get there yesterday, but I was able to keep it inside 3 (most of the time). Is 2 spaces a good goal to shoot for?

In one of my fast stops I locked up the rear and left a 40 ft skid, I didn't even realize I was in the skid till about half way through. So in subsequent attempts I adjusted my braking to use more front. That started to get better. I wish there was a way to know how much front I am using VS the ideal amount to use (to get max braking w/o locking it up). Any tips on that?

I definitely feel like I want better mirrors, perhaps that stick out a bit more and likely that are convex. I was surprise at how much my shoulders blocked my view, even when adjusted outward so that I don't see myself in normal sitting position. When moving my head to see a bit more in the mirror my shoulder is easily found. (our bikes in the BRC had no mirrors). But I turn my head and look and don't rely solely on my mirrors, more so when just riding along straight, I like to keep a metal image of what is around me.

Also, when I was at the shop (where I bought the bike) I was asking about modifying the exhaust and the guy was very not helpful on this topic. He basically shut me down really flippant like and said "oh don't do that. It will just run like crap and be loud and annoy everyone." and that was that. So... I'd like to hear from you all, here are my thoughts, questions:

I would like the bike to be a bit louder, but not crazy loud. I would also love it if the exhaust was black.

I watched a video on YT of a guy that removed the baffle from his stock exhaust on his Phantom, sounded good from what I could tell via video (which isn't a great way to hear those types of things), but what is a baffle, and how would one take it out, and is this a stupid idea?

I have looked at after market pipes a little, saw these:
I suspect that those short ones are really loud, probably louder that I'd like - but I'm guessing, anyone have these? Vance & Hines Black Shortshots Staggered Black | ZZ27035 | J&P Cycles

I like these a lot , anyone have these and can speak to the sound VS stock? Cobra Streetrod Slashdown Exhaust System Black | ZZ27023 | J&P Cycles

I like these a lot too, anyone have these and can speak to the sound VS stock? Rush Racing 2:2 Black Exhaust System w/ Chrome Straight Tips | ZZ39042 | J&P Cycles

and final question... anyone have pictures of the stock exhaust wrapped in stuff like this Milwaukee Twins 2? x 65? Black Exhaust Wrap | 161-452 | J&P Cycles
I wonder if it would look good or not since the stock exhaust has all those bulges, might not look like I imagine or want it to...

thanks for the guidance!!!

"Eve" my 2013 Phantom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:03 AM

Garage
Good to hear you are making progress with slow speed handling. It will become more natural as you practice. Right U turns are the hardest for me. It just seems wrong. Probably because we drive on the right side of the road and all our thinking while in a car is to the left for U turns, etc.
But If it really bugs you practice on a bicycle and it helps getting the feel of counter balance where your body is more straight up but the bike is leaned over for the turn. Helped me a lot.
As far the the 2 parking spaces that is a good target, I always am happy if I can do it inside a road space width.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Swifty, I also need to practice my sharp turn from a stop too.

"Eve" my 2013 Phantom
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Garage
Here is a video you might try on your exhaust. Shows you the baffle and opening up the exhaust for sound.

1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks again, great video, seems like a pretty minor mod, and only a slight increase in the sound aggressiveness, might be what I am looking for (minus the black looks)

"Eve" my 2013 Phantom
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:11 PM

Garage
You see how the baffle works, so if you cut it out you would be able to re-install it and open up the restriction holes inside, etc., if it is too loud with them removed. " Custom Tuned "

1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:20 PM

Garage
@gunslinger_co , congrats on passing the BRC and picking up your bike. Now practice, practice, practice; you can never do too much of that!

- Ride Safe!

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:04 PM

Your rear brake is a drum brake, which will have a tendency to fade and lock up much quicker than a disc brake. I have been riding my Aero for 7 years now, and I still lock up the rear tire on occasion when aggressive braking is required.

As a Ridercoach, my advice on braking is to use a slow, progressive squeeze on both brakes, but put a little more effort into the front brake than the rear. At the same time, you should be downshifting so that the engine will help you slow the bike.

"You see, it's like I said...you get farther with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word..."-Marcus Cole
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 PM

Location: Northern Mississippi by way of Lawrence Kansas by way of Berkeley CA by way of Atlanta GA.
Take it easy - steady as she goes - you sound like you're on the right track.
I concur with the sales-dude... don't go monkeying around with the exhaust right away.
Don't wrap it in tape.
Don't CUT holes in it or mess with the baffles -

Ride the bike 6 months and look/listen/feel out the various types of off-brand exhaust systems.

I want a Phantom like nobody's business... looking to get one myself in about 6-8 weeks.

It's bad luck to be superstitious..
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:15 PM

Garage
I have only scooted the rear tire once in the 1.75 years that I have had it, I just quickly cycled the pedal and got back on it.

I have found that you can get on the front brake more than you think you can,,,The majority of the weight is shifting to the front and that wide tire up front can take a lot. Be careful,,,it is a fine line!!!

I agree with the others,,,Ride the bike about 6 months before you do any major changes. You may fing the first big money needs to go into a seat,,,The Phantoms weak spot.

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom
[IMG][/IMG]

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page