Sold the Honda. Need help deciding between two bikes - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Question

Little back story about the Honda i sold and myself. I bought the Shadow last Sept because i had been off a bike about a year and it was cheap. I paid $1800 and sold it for $2100. I like cruisers and sportbikes, not a huge fan of Harley's by any means, but a bike is a bike and you can't argue with value. So here's what i need help with. With the cash i have, i've narrowed it down to 2 bikes

A- 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom 900. 15,000 miles. Asking $3200, most likely will drop. Maybe get it under $3000. Kelley blue book dealer retail is- $3895. Nada average retail is $2950.

B- 2006 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster. 13,450 miles. Kelley blue book dealer retail is $4440. Nada average retail is $3700.

So purely on a value standpoint the Harley is the better deal, and what i am leaning towards, BUT it is more money. Trying to determine if the Vulcan has been wrecked/repainted. And if the things added would hinder resale value down the line, and if i can live with Lilly's on the rear fender lol

Pros and cons for each bike

Kawasaki Pros:
Could probably get it for $3000, or $2900. Savings of $500-600
Fuel injected
Has fuel gauge
Cobra pipes
Looks better in most cases in my opinion

Cons:

Tank badges have been stripped, pin striping and the name Lilly's added on rear fender. Reduces resale value?
Smaller engine, 900 compared to 1200
Seller stated there is less than quarter inch scratch in the tank by the seat

Harley Pros:
1200 engine and roughly 22 more horsepower
Samson Cannon exhaust
Harley value/resale value
Worth more than asking price
Owner claims brand new tires
More extensive aftermarket of parts

Cons:

Carbureted
More compact in size for larger riders
Asking $500-600 more over Vulcan and is firm on price

So with that said, and by the pics and info can anyone help sway me one way or the other?? I have yet to test ride the bikes and will be doing so on Sun. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harley1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	196609   Click image for larger version

Name:	harley2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	196617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-02-09-23-27-21.png
Views:	130
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	196625   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_45831.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	196633  

Last edited by Shawking1985; 02-10-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:12 AM

Garage
If was me I'd probably go for the Sportster.

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:21 AM

Which one is more fun to ride? Which one is more comfortable? All the "value" in the world means nothing if your bike isn't comfortable or fun. If both are comfortable and fun, pick the one your gut tells you to buy.

I'd think that repainting to remove Lilly from the fender will negate any cost savings in the purchase.

"The Edge...there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." ~ Hunter S. Thompson
Anger and worry are the two greatest wastes of time known to man. Aside from television, of course.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:42 AM

If I saw those two bikes coming down the street, fwiw, I'd prefer the sporster all day long. I prefer the color, the style, the "substance."

Now me, in the same price range...and I own one so I'm biased, but I'd be looking for a Yamaha Warrior. You aren't going to beat the value buyers are seeing in this market on that model, and leagues better then both these bikes in all categories.

Why'd you leave the Shadow? Seems like strong bang for the buck there too.

I'm not a fan of Kawi cruisers personally. I know that may be controversial but my feeling is Yamaha and Honda give you a few bumps up in quality compared to other Japanese cruisers. Kawi and Suzuki are for when you want to go fast for cheap. All just my opinions...

-Bill
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

I can't seem to reply to quotes on here on my phone. I left the Honda due to it being chain and carbed. Underpowered. It should be noted that most likely whatever bike I do buy will be sold mid summer this year, or around this time next year for hopefully my final upgrade for a while. I would love to own a Warrior. It's been on my short list for some time now. Ultimately, the Yamaha raider is what I want to end up on. I haven't found any warriors in my price range or clean examples. I did find an 02 Kawasaki Mean Streak for $3500 firm, but I feel that's a couple hundred too much.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:10 AM

I say wait and save the money, buy what you really want, don't settle.
Personally, I am not a HD fan, but, for basically the same money, I'd go with it only for the power reason. I hate spokes, that's a huge disadvantageto me for it.
The Kawasaki looks better and has saddle bags, that's a plus and fuel injection is better to me. But, may be under powered.
My vote, wait! Or, check out VTX 1300 line up, more power and likely cheaper. Not fuel injected. But similar price range if you look hard enough

Ride Bell By OldDad
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:49 AM

Sold the Honda. Need help deciding between two bikes

That's a H-D 1200C. Sportsters are very reliable bikes, and hold resale well. Biggest downside is it being carbureted, but 1200's are fast bikes. It will outrun most touring/ bagger bikes. You could ride this bike for 6 months to a year and probably get all your money back out of it. LOTS of accessories like bags and such you can buy for it too.

Ride both and see which fits you better, but I'd lean Harley.

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawking1985 View Post
Little back story about the Honda i sold and myself. I bought the Shadow last Sept because i had been off a bike about a year and it was cheap. I paid $1800 and sold it for $2100. I like cruisers and sportbikes, not a huge fan of Harley's by any means, but a bike is a bike and you can't argue with value. So here's what i need help with. With the cash i have, i've narrowed it down to 2 bikes

A- 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom 900. 15,000 miles. Asking $3200, most likely will drop. Maybe get it under $3000. Kelley blue book dealer retail is- $3895. Nada average retail is $2950.

B- 2006 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster. 13,450 miles. Kelley blue book dealer retail is $4440. Nada average retail is $3700.

So purely on a value standpoint the Harley is the better deal, and what i am leaning towards, BUT it is more money. Trying to determine if the Vulcan has been wrecked/repainted. And if the things added would hinder resale value down the line, and if i can live with Lilly's on the rear fender lol

Pros and cons for each bike

Kawasaki Pros:
Could probably get it for $3000, or $2900. Savings of $500-600
Fuel injected
Has fuel gauge
Cobra pipes
Looks better in most cases in my opinion

Cons:

Tank badges have been stripped, pin striping and the name Lilly's added on rear fender. Reduces resale value?
Smaller engine, 900 compared to 1200
Seller stated there is less than quarter inch scratch in the tank by the seat

Harley Pros:
1200 engine and roughly 22 more horsepower
Samson Cannon exhaust
Harley value/resale value
Worth more than asking price
Owner claims brand new tires
More extensive aftermarket of parts

Cons:

Carbureted
More compact in size for larger riders
Asking $500-600 more over Vulcan and is firm on price

So with that said, and by the pics and info can anyone help sway me one way or the other?? I have yet to test ride the bikes and will be doing so on Sun. Thanks
Not banging on you, but I shake my head when I hear stuff like this. Are you talking about buying a bike, or trying to make an investment? If you are wanting to make an investment, get the heck away from motorcycles and talk to an investment counselor. When it comes to bikes, get something you want to ride. Something you'll enjoy riding. The two bikes you've mentioned are diametrically opposite each other in ride characteristics. I can't see someone who enjoys riding one being happy on the other.
With that said, based on your criteria figuring you're just going to buy it and then stick it in a garage and not ride it: Go for the Sportster. Every day you own that Vulcan it's going to go down in value. The Sportsters value probably won't go any lower unless it gets some damage to it. Used Vulcans can be had for pennies. Nothing against the bikes themselves, I personally like them, but I see them all the times around my area for very low dollar. The customizing the PO did to that Vulcan will also aid in reducing it's re-sale value. You listed a carburetor as a con when describing the Sportster. Many would disagree. There's one guy on here (another buyer and seller) who currently rides a Sportster specifically because it has a carburetor on it.
I'll be looking forward to hearing (reading) your impressions after riding both bike Sunday, at the end of the day though, if you're getting a bike to ride... get the one you'd most enjoy riding. my .02 anyway.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
HAFND
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Garage
I would lean toward the Harley.

But if you are so concerned with resale value I would have to agree with @Coop just save your money,,,or invest in gold. It is possible that after getting either of these bikes that you obviously dont want something bad could happen and then you are out of your plan quick.

I do not buy anything as an investment. If I have it I use it!!!

Good luck with your decision.

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:13 AM

Adding to my post, like @squidchief and @PhantomRider64 , motorcycles are awful investments. I've been to many auctions and motorcycles demand bottom dollar. I've seen buyers of many custom built bikes faces drop when they see what the resale of their "baby" actually goes for. It's nothing to see a $70k custom built badass bike resale for $25k two or three years later.

Motorcycles are BAD investments. Buy the one you enjoy, period.

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page