Hawaii Phantom Vs. My VLX - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hawaii Phantom Vs. My VLX

Hello all! I just got back to the midwest from my vacation with my wife in Hawaii. The weather sure was nice there compared to here in Iowa, and we even got some ride time, my favorite part of the vacation! We rented a 2014 Phantom from a place in Waikiki and went up to the north shore and rode around the island.

This was exciting for me because prior to me purchasing my VLX 600 from my good friend, I was considering saving more and getting a newer Phantom 750. However the opportunity came up to buy my friends VLX and I couldn't pass it up, so I never did get to test ride any phantoms, or any other shadow models.

Now that I have got to ride both bikes, here's what I have figured out... Personally, I am glad I am on my VLX instead of a Phantom. While the Phantom is a cool, more "modern looking" bike, I think the VLX rides better. The 750 engine on the Phantom does have a little bit more spunk to it, and the 5 speed transmission is different, although for riding in town, I would say I prefer the 4 speed of my VLX. Less shifting. Also, maybe I'm crazy, but I think the VLX controls are a tad more forward than the phantom. But ultimately, I suppose every rider is different, and I'm sure many of ya'll would prefer the newer bikes to an 01 VLX. And I am not knocking the Phantom, just pointing out differences.

Lastly, my wife said she much prefers the seat of VLX! The Phantom had her pretty sore after a full day of cruising Oahu. But it was a fun ride that I will never forget. Beautiful scenery, and so nice to be able to ride when its cold back here, and not much riding going on.

Basically what I am getting at is, if anyone is out there looking at buying a shadow, maybe looking at used shadows and the different models; try them out. Test ride them, because while they do have similarities, and they are all "Shadows", they can be a bit different!

2001 Honda Shadow VLX 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's a pic of the Phantom we rented. Wife and I had to stop and look at the map a couple times!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawaii Phantom.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	196873  

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:37 AM

Location: Northern Mississippi by way of Lawrence Kansas by way of Berkeley CA by way of Atlanta GA.
Riddle me this:
If only you were on the Phantom do you think it would have produced a bit more power for you?

It's bad luck to be superstitious..
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 AM
bd*

Garage
Thanks for the review. And Welcome to the forum.

The wife and I on My, 2001 Shadow Spirit 750.....

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8675309 View Post
Riddle me this:
If only you were on the Phantom do you think it would have produced a bit more power for you?
I would imagine so. I can tell the difference when I have a passenger or if I am by myself, but in my opinion neither bike is really "lacking" power. But I don't hardly every ride any faster than 65 or 70 mph much anyways. The Phantom seemed to have a slight bit more power than the VLX, but they would of course make sense, as it is a slightly larger motor.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:51 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

I am surprised that your wife made it that long on the passenger piece of the Phantom seat. I hate it and I dont sit on it!!!

Thanks for the comparison of the bikes.

I hate that the Phantom is only offered with a 750,,,Dont get me wrong,,,I love my bike!!! But a completely blacked out Valk would be cool.

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Aren't speed limits in HI. kind of low? I'm just poor at remembering a trip from 84 or 85, and I wasn't driving either. Or riding.

2006 vlx
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:47 PM

Location: Northern Mississippi by way of Lawrence Kansas by way of Berkeley CA by way of Atlanta GA.
I recall my VLX after it hit 65 seemed to want to whine a bit, and I figure the Phantom would hold 65 real easy.
I only weigh in around 145, so I would like to think the Phantom would suit me. I'm only 5' 4" too and I think the
Phantom is 1-2 inches lower than the VLX.

I'm moving in about 10 days out west... Arizona... and there are a few out there for sale in the 4,500 range with less
than 5,000 miles on them. Pretty good price for a Phantom... so I figure it only rains like 65 days out of the year in
Arizona - I should be set. I'll be working from home ( remote analyst )... I keep thinking about cruises to the Superstition
Mountains... or down to Tucson, ... or a 4 hour ride to the Grand Canyon.

I think I'd look damn good on a Phantom...

It's bad luck to be superstitious..
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

^ sounds like you've already sold yourself on the Phantom. Good luck with it and your move.

2006 vlx
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old dad View Post
Aren't speed limits in HI. kind of low? I'm just poor at remembering a trip from 84 or 85, and I wasn't driving either. Or riding.
Yes, for the most part. We took H1 and H2 for part of the trip, and I believe that was only a 55, but it moves quicker than that. Most of the trip was 35 or 45 mph areas. Winding roads along the coast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page