How long do you keep your bikes? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

How long do you keep your bikes?

Serious dilemma here...I want a bigger bike. Drove out to the local Indian dealer and took a look at the new Roadmaster. Once the wife sat on the throne on the back, and realized that it had GPS and a radio and a heated seat and a power windshield and and and...she decided that we should seriously consider trading in the Shadow.

The downside? $30,000. Wife like the two-tone green/cream. While I CAN afford the payments, and could probably afford to pay double the monthly starting next year, it is still a $30,000 motorcycle. Admittedly, I do ride year round, unless there is snow on the road. The only thing I don't use the bike for is going to PT in the mornings, because I don't like gearing up all sweaty for the ride back to the house to shower.

I told her that it would probably be the last bike that I would ever buy, being that I am 40 years old. So, is that realistic? Can you get 30 years of riding out of one bike? 20? 10?

I am looking at doing up a pro/con list to help me out, and we are going back this weekend to do a test ride. It is tempting...the dealer has the $1,000 rebate going for the Honor to Heroes promotion, OR the $1500 on top of your trade in promotion. They said that they could not do both, which is both fortunate and unfortunate, since if they could do both I probably would be posting about my new Roadmaster right about now...

"You see, it's like I said...you get farther with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word..."-Marcus Cole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:28 PM

Not long enough to drop over 12 large on a bike. My suggestion. Find a nice solid HD EVO for 5 - 7 grand. Do a couple changes to make "yours" and put rubber on the pavement. I did just that and kept the shadow chopper.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:37 PM
bd*

Garage
Sixteen years ago I walked into the local Honda Shop and laid eyes on the new Honda Shadow Spirit 750. It was Love at first site. Three days latter I was riding it home, That was feb 2001 and Im STILL Riding it to this day. ..... Its probably going to be the last bike I ever buy as Ill be 66 this year. And thats OK as I still love it as much as the day I rode her home. ...... So I guess what Im saying is if you really Like/Love your bike and it fits you why not keep riding it. Anyway best of luck with your decision and your new ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-30-16 a.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	197049   Click image for larger version

Name:	my spirit 3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	197057   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike night 7-12-16.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	197065  

The wife and I on My, 2001 Shadow Spirit 750.....

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:47 PM

Life is short. Have fun.

The more expensive bikes, if you can afford them, are absolutely worth it. You won't be disappointed.

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Just Ride...

2003 Harley Davidson Sportster (RIP)
2006 Suzuki GZ250 (traded)
2012 Honda Shadow Phantom (traded)
2014 Victory Cross Country (current)
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:06 PM

$30k, ain't no way, period!
Sorry, but neither of our cars cost that much and we have nice rides.
Me, I say ride as long as you can, but, to say a new Ish bike last 39 years, I wouldn't roll them dice.
Gold wing, maybe even a big HD tourer, Beemer tourer, those with LONG histories yes. But, I know Indian is a very very old brand, but it's a NEW brand too.
Sorry, no go for me to claim 20+ on any New Ish line. Not me.

Ride Bell By OldDad
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 AM

If you use your bike only for commuting and you don't care about the ride itself, keep the Shadow, it will give you good service.

But if you do enjoy every mile of your ride, and you seem to, then go with the bike you enjoy ... don't wait until you're 60 to do it, since the Roadmaster will appear much heavier to you at that age than it is to you now at 40.

How much do you think you'd get for your Shadow ? If it's not much, why not keeping it ?
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:03 AM

How long would i keep my Shadow ?

I don't know. I don't know the cost of maintaining a Shadow (suspension, break, engine, clutch, spoke wheels ...) in good condition for daily use, when it's over 100,000 miles (just throwing out a number). If I were mechanically inclined, I would be able to keep the cost reasonable. But unfortunately, I am not that gifted. I do imagine that the more miles the bike has, the more things will wear out, need replacement or repair.

So I guess, at some point, the maintenance cost will tell me that it's not worth repairing anymore. With the miles that I am doing now, I would get to the 100k miles in about 5 years. Is that a lot for a Shadow ? Some folks say no. Hopefully I'll make to that mark safely
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
If you use your bike only for commuting and you don't care about the ride itself, keep the Shadow, it will give you good service.

But if you do enjoy every mile of your ride, and you seem to, then go with the bike you enjoy ... don't wait until you're 60 to do it, since the Roadmaster will appear much heavier to you at that age than it is to you now at 40.

How much do you think you'd get for your Shadow ? If it's not much, why not keeping it ?
I could probably get around 3K in the area, 2500 if I wanted a quick sale, 3500 if I was willing to wait. I would not want to keep it if I had a new bike because I have no garage, I only need one bike, and when I PCS in a year and a half it would be that much harder with two bikes.

"You see, it's like I said...you get farther with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word..."-Marcus Cole
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 04:21 AM

Garage
I say get the bike , but not from the dealer at max top price like you're looking at. At least if you can help it. That is a lot of money.
If I remember right , You said something about being assigned overseas ? Check on shipping prices too, it can add up. And no garage , or just enough room to protect 1 bike ?

You got your lady interested so now price around. Check out cycletrader.com , check the forums , it is out there , you got credit union , you'll find it and save $10K with less than 15k miles . There are repo's , guys whose wives blew a gasket , guys who just changed their mind after a fast ride..........or whose lady got pregnant and they need to go for a car. They are out there, just takes a little patience.

That is the price range type bike were you can save serious money and still get a good rider. And you get to do a cool ride bringing it home from where ever with or w/o the lady on the back.

@Coop is right tho , it is more than a lot of new cars .

"At all times you are only where you really want to be," unknown old man in a desert lightning storm.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:25 AM

I've seen a lot of low mileage used GW's out there for sale, if you looking for bigger and comfort you can't beat a wing. Except maybe for Valkyrie I/S that is.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

1998 Valkyrie Standard
2001 Valkyrie I/S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page