Honda Shadow Forums banner

How long do you keep your bikes?

9K views 72 replies 27 participants last post by  80130 
#1 ·
Serious dilemma here...I want a bigger bike. Drove out to the local Indian dealer and took a look at the new Roadmaster. Once the wife sat on the throne on the back, and realized that it had GPS and a radio and a heated seat and a power windshield and and and...she decided that we should seriously consider trading in the Shadow.

The downside? $30,000. Wife like the two-tone green/cream. While I CAN afford the payments, and could probably afford to pay double the monthly starting next year, it is still a $30,000 motorcycle. Admittedly, I do ride year round, unless there is snow on the road. The only thing I don't use the bike for is going to PT in the mornings, because I don't like gearing up all sweaty for the ride back to the house to shower.

I told her that it would probably be the last bike that I would ever buy, being that I am 40 years old. So, is that realistic? Can you get 30 years of riding out of one bike? 20? 10?

I am looking at doing up a pro/con list to help me out, and we are going back this weekend to do a test ride. It is tempting...the dealer has the $1,000 rebate going for the Honor to Heroes promotion, OR the $1500 on top of your trade in promotion. They said that they could not do both, which is both fortunate and unfortunate, since if they could do both I probably would be posting about my new Roadmaster right about now...

See less See more
#3 ·
Sixteen years ago I walked into the local Honda Shop and laid eyes on the new Honda Shadow Spirit 750. It was Love at first site. Three days latter I was riding it home, That was feb 2001 and Im STILL Riding it to this day. ..... Its probably going to be the last bike I ever buy as Ill be 66 this year. And thats OK as I still love it as much as the day I rode her home. ...... So I guess what Im saying is if you really Like/Love your bike and it fits you why not keep riding it. Anyway best of luck with your decision and your new ride. :)

Attachments

#4 ·
Life is short. Have fun.

The more expensive bikes, if you can afford them, are absolutely worth it. You won't be disappointed.

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

#5 ·
$30k, ain't no way, period!
Sorry, but neither of our cars cost that much and we have nice rides.
Me, I say ride as long as you can, but, to say a new Ish bike last 39 years, I wouldn't roll them dice.
Gold wing, maybe even a big HD tourer, Beemer tourer, those with LONG histories yes. But, I know Indian is a very very old brand, but it's a NEW brand too.
Sorry, no go for me to claim 20+ on any New Ish line. Not me.

#6 ·
If you use your bike only for commuting and you don't care about the ride itself, keep the Shadow, it will give you good service.

But if you do enjoy every mile of your ride, and you seem to, then go with the bike you enjoy ... don't wait until you're 60 to do it, since the Roadmaster will appear much heavier to you at that age than it is to you now at 40.

How much do you think you'd get for your Shadow ? If it's not much, why not keeping it ?

#8 ·
I could probably get around 3K in the area, 2500 if I wanted a quick sale, 3500 if I was willing to wait. I would not want to keep it if I had a new bike because I have no garage, I only need one bike, and when I PCS in a year and a half it would be that much harder with two bikes.

#7 ·
How long would i keep my Shadow ?

I don't know. I don't know the cost of maintaining a Shadow (suspension, break, engine, clutch, spoke wheels ...) in good condition for daily use, when it's over 100,000 miles (just throwing out a number). If I were mechanically inclined, I would be able to keep the cost reasonable. But unfortunately, I am not that gifted. I do imagine that the more miles the bike has, the more things will wear out, need replacement or repair.

So I guess, at some point, the maintenance cost will tell me that it's not worth repairing anymore. With the miles that I am doing now, I would get to the 100k miles in about 5 years. Is that a lot for a Shadow ? Some folks say no. Hopefully I'll make to that mark safely ;-)

#9 ·
I say get the bike , but not from the dealer at max top price like you're looking at. At least if you can help it. That is a lot of money.
If I remember right , You said something about being assigned overseas ? Check on shipping prices too, it can add up. And no garage , or just enough room to protect 1 bike ?

You got your lady interested so now price around. Check out cycletrader.com , check the forums , it is out there , you got credit union , you'll find it and save $10K with less than 15k miles . There are repo's , guys whose wives blew a gasket , guys who just changed their mind after a fast ride..........or whose lady got pregnant and they need to go for a car. They are out there, just takes a little patience.

That is the price range type bike were you can save serious money and still get a good rider. And you get to do a cool ride bringing it home from where ever with or w/o the lady on the back.
@Coop is right tho , it is more than a lot of new cars .

#10 ·
I've seen a lot of low mileage used GW's out there for sale, if you looking for bigger and comfort you can't beat a wing. Except maybe for Valkyrie I/S that is.

#11 ·
@Sundown is right, unless you are just wanting new (which I am one of those people), there are some great deals out there on low mileage bikes.

I only buy new, but I can't stand the thought of someone else riding MY bike.

The bigger touring bikes are work every penny. They come ready to go with everything already on them...all you have to do is get on them and go. And they are better...paint/ clear coat is thicker, chrome is thicker, electronics are better with better/ thicker wiring, and so on. Most people don't take the time to see/ know little things like this, but I use to sell them, so I know.

I wouldn't bat an eye to spend $30k on a bike, if I had the money to do so. I have a $20k bike now. My neighbor had a 1996 H-D Ultra Classic he probably paid $25K on. It has 168K miles on it. He'll never need to buy another bike as long as he lives. That thing still looks new. Do or have the correct maintenance done and bikes will last you a long time.

#20 ·
@Sundown is right, unless you are just wanting new (which I am one of those people), there are some great deals out there on low mileage bikes.

I only buy new, but I can't stand the thought of someone else riding MY bike.

The bigger touring bikes are work every penny. They come ready to go with everything already on them...all you have to do is get on them and go. And they are better...paint/ clear coat is thicker, chrome is thicker, electronics are better with better/ thicker wiring, and so on. Most people don't take the time to see/ know little things like this, but I use to sell them, so I know.

I wouldn't bat an eye to spend $30k on a bike, if I had the money to do so. I have a $20k bike now. My neighbor had a 1996 H-D Ultra Classic he probably paid $25K on. It has 168K miles on it. He'll never need to buy another bike as long as he lives. That thing still looks new. Do or have the correct maintenance done and bikes will last you a long time.
Also keep in mind, you can get hit by a truck tomorrow and die...then all that money "working for your future" was a waste of fun you could have been having now.

Just viewed from a different perspective.
Oh, I'm not knocking your way of thinking. Everyone is entitled to live the way they want, not how someone else wants them to.

....no one is guaranteed tomorrow. And your friends won't talk about how frugal a saver for your future you were at your funeral.

My funeral already will have TONS of good stories about the fun, sometimes crazy times.

It's not about stuff or money, it's about memories and stories.
I would steer clear of any Polaris made bikes. They shut down Victory without notice and will likely do the same with the Indian. I just don't see enough of them even during bike weeks here. Maybe see two or three out of 300K. I don't think the dealership locations are close enough. Just my opinion and I love the Scout but will stay with the Sportster. I don;t see Indian picking up Victory owners who rightfully should be a tad angry at Polaris

AS far as how long I keep them depends on how much I like or dislike a bike I bought. I have had five Harleys since 2014 LOL. Kept none over six months. This Sportster is a keeper. Everyone has a bike that "just fits" For me it is The 1200C, I had two of them and decided I wanted the carbed version instead of the EFI in my former 12 1200C

If your wife really liked the backseat of the Indian, let her sit on the back of an Ultra one time. Might be quite comparable. With that said, I concur with @Hondaguy. Seeing Polaris shut down Victory like it did bothered me. No guarantees with Indian. H-D will be around forever. $30k bikes are generally worth every penny, but as others have said, I'd look for one that's one or two years old. Amazing how many are out there with less than 1k on the odometer. Willing to bet @Theja1 saw some come in to be sold during the time he was working at a dealership. I have a couple of friends that ride nothing but Ultra's. They trade them in for new ones every 150k to 250k. For one guy, that's every couple of years. How many $30k vehicles that aren't diesels can you get that kind of mileage out of? If you can afford that kind of money for a luxury, go for it.... especially if the spouse is all for it. I'd just compare all other top of the line baggers first.

#12 · (Edited)
You have to answer your main question yourself. For example, I could write a check pretty much for any bike out there, but I own 2 Honda's worth around $5K each. Instead, I have my money working for me in my Fidelity account for my future needs. I would love to buy a new-to-me truck. I currently drive a 2001 GMC that I bought new, and it now has 205,000 miles on it. I can afford one, but I've taken good care of my current GMC to where I can't justify buying new one. Sure, it would be nice to have leather, navigation, back-up camera, etc., but I haven't had a truck payment in 8 years and I don't want to pull the cash out of my account to buy a truck. So, an old truck and 2 used motorcycles it is.

I guess what I'm saying is use commonsense and think both long and short term. Do you need the bike, or is this strictly an emotional purchase? If it is emotional, I wait and revisit the idea of purchasing in a few weeks. If you are still as hyped up, then maybe you make the purchase. That way you are less apt to have buyer's remorse, and you'll know whether you actually were excited about the bike or just the thought of buying the bike.

I don't mean to sound cheap/frugal.

#13 ·
Also keep in mind, you can get hit by a truck tomorrow and die...then all that money "working for your future" was a waste of fun you could have been having now.

Just viewed from a different perspective.

#15 ·
I used to think more along those lines, but as I grow older I've begun to reassess things. My wife's grandmother lived to 104, my father is going to be 91 in April, and my mother lived to 88. Now, I had a MI with 99% blockage of the widow-maker about 5 years ago, so I figure I'm playing with house money right now. Even so, I want to provide for my wife and son, and I can do that best by not thinking of myself first. Of course, that is why I'm driving an '01 GMC and my wife is driving a 2015 Lincoln. I've got my father pushing me to buy a newer truck to the point he and his wife said they'd throw in $15K. I'm tempted, but don't want his money.

#14 ·
All very good points. I can see both sides of your viewpoints, and I prefer to do both when at all possible. Save for the future, but don't neglect the present. I am still thinking about it, crunching numbers, etc.

#18 ·
I would steer clear of any Polaris made bikes. They shut down Victory without notice and will likely do the same with the Indian. I just don't see enough of them even during bike weeks here. Maybe see two or three out of 300K. I don't think the dealership locations are close enough. Just my opinion and I love the Scout but will stay with the Sportster. I don;t see Indian picking up Victory owners who rightfully should be a tad angry at Polaris

AS far as how long I keep them depends on how much I like or dislike a bike I bought. I have had five Harleys since 2014 LOL. Kept none over six months. This Sportster is a keeper. Everyone has a bike that "just fits" For me it is The 1200C, I had two of them and decided I wanted the carbed version instead of the EFI in my former 12 1200C

#19 ·
I feel your pain!! I purchased my Shadow ACE 750 in 1999. Every couple of years I get tempted to trade up. My reasons have been - I want an 1100cc - I want shaft drive- I want a fuel injected bike-I want a bigger bike overall-I want a sport tourer-I want an American, Italian, British, German designed bike. The list goes on and on-the wishing goes on and on.
But then something incredible continues to happen. I have a ride every once in a while that is filled with so much joy and fun-and so much meaning, that I realize the last thing I want is to part with my old friend.
Sure, I'll never get the "respect" from the Harley masses-I'll never do some off roading with the GS crew-I'll never rip up the highway with my friends and co workers on their GSX ers at 130 mph- but I will always have that reliable, smooth, efficient machine to bring a big smile to my face wherever I go. So many great memories have been made on my bike. I am now happy and relieved to still have my old 99 Shadow. The maintenance is easy-I can handle the few repairs needed so far by myself. I've saved a lot of money over the years. Lots of people say the Shadow line up is a good "starter" bike. I hear lots of guys say they "upgraded" from a Shadow. I just can't see trading in a machine that comes thru for me time and time again.

#35 ·
How many miles do you have on your odometer now ? If you don't ride much, then it should be ok to keep the bike for years/decades. But if you ride, let's say 1000 miles per month, you should get close to 100,000 miles in 8 years, 200,000 miles in 16 years if a Shadow can last that long. I don't know if the cost of maintaining an old bike is worth it, don't know yet.

#21 ·
You want a good deal, get a Goldwing , I have a 82 SilverWing its smaller brother and it is great.Stick with Honda they are here to stay and last.Now it's a antique too.

#23 ·
Hell I just wish I was rich enough to think of a $15k bike let alone a $20-30k bike.
I'm happy for yall, I'll take my 99 ST that I paid under $3k and be happy and run as long as any of them listed:) unless I get ready for a different bike.

#24 ·
Wow.... it has GPS and a radio and heated seats. Uhhh for $30,000 you can buy a 2017 Honda Accord V6 that has a really great feeling back seat and fits 2 people back there. At least that's what my GF tells me every time I look at a bike that costs over $30K. Then when I look at a bike that costs just over $20k she points out brand new Civic with leather seats and way more features.

As far as longevity I have a "daily driver" (or at least it is insured) Goldwing that I bought new in 1978 so that's almost 40 years and my "new" bike is a VT1100C2 that is 22 years old. I am 63 and my next bike will be ...

definitely under $20,000 or I need new GF!

G.

#25 ·
Wow.... it has GPS and a radio and heated seats. Uhhh for $30,000 you can buy a 2017 Honda Accord V6 that has a really great feeling back seat and fits 2 people back there. At least that's what my GF tells me every time I look at a bike that costs over $30K. Then when I look at a bike that costs just over $20k she points out brand new Civic with leather seats and way more features.

1) you need a new GF
2) you never heard anyone say "Nice Civic", well, anywhere.

#38 ·
I plan to keep the Phantom forever!!!:grin2:

Is this realistic,,,not really unless I have it taxidermied and put in the living room.:surprise:

Even if all the PM is done as required, parts fail and wear out. At some point even if you are a mechanic and could rebuild every part on the bike, at some point something is going to break and not be repairable.

Everyone has their limit when enough is enough and you want a new bike,,,you will know when that time comes.

#41 · (Edited)
Even if all the PM is done as required, parts fail and wear out. At some point even if you are a mechanic and could rebuild every part on the bike, at some point something is going to break and not be repairable.
True story, and I could post the owner mileages if you're interested, but what I've found hanging out on the Valkyrie forums is that a lot of these guys are retiring from biking or passing away or getting an illness long before their bikes wear out. One owner has 500k miles on his and it's still going strong (never cracked the cases open). It's kind of sad reading about how these guys still want to ride but can't, but it's a true testament to the bike. The way I look at it, I have 25k miles on mine and I am 60 years old and I ride about 10k miles a year. I'd be 107 years old before I reach 500k miles. So yes, it's possible to own one 40 years if you are a bit younger than me and it could certainly be my last bike. We'll see...I've always wanted that one Harley Roadglide before I retire from biking. It might even work out where I get to have both the Valk and the Harley, and I live in Tennessee near the mountains, and my young girlfriend waits for me to ride in at the end of every day when we can't ride together. Well, we can dream right? Lol.

#45 ·
I had some cool dudes ask me one time how much for the Phantom,,,I said $10k,,,they told me it wasn't worth it!

Hey,,,there the ones that asked!!! Dudes lady was laughing at him as they rode off.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

#40 ·
How long do I keep motorcycles for?

Well, I had an '83 650 Nighthawk for 20 years. It was far from my first bike or even my first new bike, but it was the first street bike that I bought brand new. I was in love with that machine. We went all over the country. It kept me alive thru my first marriage/divorce.

Now I had lots of other scooters during the time that I had the Nighthawk, and when I finally sold it (to a really hot chick as a first bike) I was never so happy to see a motorcycle go. Twenty years is just too long to keep any machine. Hell, nowadays if a scooter stays in my garage for five years...I must really like it.

It took me a lot of years to learn not to fall in love with a motorcycle. As much as riders like to anthropomorphize their bikes, motorcycles don't have souls or some sense of being. They don't have personalities and they'll break down without any feeling about it what so ever.

Same reasoning goes for constantly babying my baby. I don't do it. A motorcycle is not a baby. While I do enjoy riding a clean sled, that bike doesn't care if it's clean or not. Machines get scratched and scuffed and cruddy from use, and they won't get mad if you don't "baby" them.

So, I say all of that, to say this...

There are lots of great motorcycles out there. My plan for the last many years is to own as many of them as I can. When do I start shopping for my next scooter? I never stop shopping. I am always on the look out for my next bike. Buy 'em, enjoy 'em, use 'em up, and move on to the next one.

Would I spend 30 large on a new ride? I could. I might. I just, last fall, picked up an 2008 Goldwing with 16K miles on the clock, for $11K.
Before that, I never dreamed I'd spend that kind on money on a motorcycle. But I wanted a 'Wing, and being as how the not new GL1800 is pretty much the same as the new GL1800 I couldn't justify the $25K.

My advice...trade motorcycles often. Own more than one. Buy on impulse. Buy just because you always wanted (insert any given bike here). Life is short, and we are dead for long time.

Enjoy being alive. :laugh:

#42 ·
How long do I keep motorcycles for?

It took me a lot of years to learn not to fall in love with a motorcycle. As much as riders like to anthropomorphize their bikes, motorcycles don't have souls or some sense of being. They don't have personalities and they'll break down without any feeling about it what so ever.

Same reasoning goes for constantly babying my baby. I don't do it. A motorcycle is not a baby. While I do enjoy riding a clean sled, that bike doesn't care if it's clean or not. Machines get scratched and scuffed and cruddy from use, and they won't get mad if you don't "baby" them.
Great post and well said !
It takes a lot of maturity to realize that a motorcycle is just a machine. We would enjoy the ride more if we don't baby it.

#50 ·
The simple answer is = NO.
You don't KNOW right now.
When the time is right for something, you KNOW it.
Don't make a loophole where you can point to someone else and say, "You're the one that said it was a good choice."
When you point, one finger is pointing at someone else but three are pointing at yourself.

#60 ·
Think about it this way, the manufacturers put a "warranty" limit on them for a reason; usually so they don't have to keep paying to maintain a vehicle that will soon be costing more in repairs than it will be available for use. With that in mind, do you really expect ANY vehicle to last for 30-40 years? I wouldn't "expect" a bike to last for more than 10 years, but my Spirit 750 is ALREADY past that point, which is why I'm considering getting a bigger bike as well, though I may keep it, anyway, for at LEAST a few more years. Once it gets to the point where it's down for repairs more than I'm riding it (which I typically try to do DAILY), then it'll be time to get rid of it, for sure. I will not have a "trophy" bike. I plan on riding mine until they either won't run enough or fall apart, but even then, REALISTICALLY, you should NOT expect it to last forever.

#61 ·
That's from the standpoint of financial investment. I think your missing a major factor, emotional investment.
Hot rod guys know their 48 mercury will Never be worth what they spend on parts, but they love the car so they do it anyway.
It doesn't have to be a classic by conventional standard to be beloved...
My bike is my first bike, and for me, that's worth whatever it takes to keep it on the road.

#63 · (Edited)
@gdb069 I agree. Although I'd consider what I do above and beyond 'normal maintenance' the vehicle will last as long as you maintain it. Period. With that said it helps to select a vehicle (or bike) that is known for longevity with normal maintenance. For example, cost wise I'd rather maintain a Honda vs. a Harley for 35 years, assuming it's a daily driver and I put on 10K miles a year. Pretty good chance the Honda bike I own will be here long after I am not...and it's already 20 years old. Even the Shadows can easily get into hundreds of thousands of mlles with good care. Ask Captain D.

#64 ·
@gdb069 I agree. Although I'd consider what I do above and beyond 'normal maintenance' the vehicle will last as long as you maintain it. Period. With that said it helps it select a vehicle (or bike) that is known for longevity with normal maintenance.
Righto!
He who buyeth a crap-stack, shall get crap back.
Though, frankly I can't think of a single major manufacturer of bikes that doesn't make a solid product.

#65 ·
Like anything else, there are pros and cons with keeping a motorcycle for long time. While I enjoy vintage motorcycles, I mainly use them for commuting. 9000 miles in the last 6 months, and with a new job that mileage will go up, probably 22,000 - 24,000 miles per year.

Therefore safety is my first priority, convenience second and pleasure third.

So to me, buying a newer motorcycle allows me to benefit from safety features like ABS. Many people don't care about it until it saves their lives.

With the use that I do with motorcycles, I don't think I would keep motorcycles for more than 5-6 years. My next bike would definitely have ABS on it, and shaft/belt drive (not having to oil the chain drive every 9 days won't hurt).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.