Honda Shadow Forums banner

First ride 2017

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Harryc 
#1 ·
Mother nature is giving us northerners a chance to get out early this year No salt on the roads means it's time to get the bikes out!!!

Be safe people. Drivers are not looking for us.:smile2:

#5 ·
Not my first ride of the year, but it looks like there's a nice extended warm spell coming up and I'm ready to go...

Tomorrow. :)

We've just come off a nasty cold spell and the most recent snowfalls are just starting to melt away. We just got above freezing this morning and the temps are rising rapidly. The roads are pretty clear but, on the rural roads that I like to ride, I'm guessing there may still be some slippery spots in the valleys and shadows. I'll wait until tomorrow when it's supposed to get into the 60's. :grin2:

#6 ·
My bike was down for new piston rings in December but other than that I've been riding every chance I get even in 30° temps as long as the roads are dry. Yes I get a bit chilly on my way home from work and get grief from the co-workers about riding in those temps but that's what leathers are for, the cold days right......Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
No way the street bikes are hitting North Idaho Roads right now, they are a sloppy mess.
The DR650 However is getting ridden regularly.
The "Frosty Bunz run" starts @ 9am tomorrow. :)

#8 ·
Had mine out yesterday and today! Never imagined I would be riding in February, and comfortably at that. It hit 17* today! Not sure what that is in American but I'm thinking pretty close to 70?

#9 ·
We had a beautiful 50+ degrees yesterday and I got a good ride in. Today back to rain and slop.

#10 ·
man Im lucky to ride year around in Tucson AZ. I did live in VA for 24 years so I had the winter months but had good weather to get a ride in here and there. not like up north. you get winter

#12 · (Edited)
Technically not my first ride of 2017 (rode on New Years Day), but it was in the low 60's today and beautiful. Took the Valk out to stretch her legs. Got 80 miles or so in, and it was good for the soul. I did many upgrades and changes to it over the winter so it was cool to do a shake-down cruise. It's all good. Here's the list of what I did ...

Cobra Floorboards
Hardened Steel Skid Discs on the bottom of the floorboards
Installed Valk Interstate Shocks with neoprene bushings
Rebuilt the carbs
New Rear Fender with LED Lights and Chrome Covers
New sissy bar plate
New Ultimate Seat
Stebel Air Horn
Electric Fuel Shutoff Valve
New Windshield Pouches
Changed the oil
Replaced the Electronic Thermostat sensor
Changed the coolant
Installed a Desmog Kit

#14 ·
Got up to 57 on Sunday and was able to get out for a ride. Really missed being on two wheels. Going to be mild this week as well, should be able to even ride to work a few days. Bit cold this morning, only 20 so bike stayed put away.

#15 ·
I just picked up a mint 2011, 750 Phantom with 600 miles on it. The brand new sissy bar and luggage rack will be leaving soon for a Mustang solo seat and fender bib. When I picked it up early this month, I dropped it off at my local Honda dealer to make sure everything was as good as it all looked. They gave it the full treatment (right down to checking the torque on all the major nuts n bolts) and told me everything was perfect. Come pick it up.

Yesterday was the only hole in the weather there was going to be for a week. Snow today, ice and rain for the weekend. So my first ride this year (and on my new scooter) was 30 degrees and sunny. I don't have a windshield yet, and I wear a half helmet, so, when I was done, there was no way anyone could "wipe that smile off my face".

You know how, when we were kids, they said "Don't make that face, what if it stays that way.?"

Well 50 Mph at 30 degrees, the smile did freeze that way.

(Wife said to put my head under hot water for an hour and it would go away.) She may be right.

#16 ·
Had mine out today. Randomly met up with a dude on a newish Gold Wing at a red light, and we went for a little bit of a rip. Its funny how the Shadow feels so fast when you are on your own, but when you get with others who are keen to twist the throttle you are suddenly reminded of its place in the motorcycle hierarchy :laugh:. I'm not knocking the Shadow by any means, but dang that guy was pulling away from me like I wasn't even moving! We ended up at the same place and introduced ourselves. Nice guy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.