A bit worried about my new Honda Shadow! - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

A bit worried about my new Honda Shadow!

Hi everyone

I have just bought a Honda Shadow (I owned a similar one a few years ago). It was a real mission getting it, and a bit of a rush. The guy seemed really trustworthy, so I don't think he has tried to decieve me in anyway, but I'm a bit confused. The bike has only done 8000 miles, and is in very good condition.

It was advertised as 2011 model. The MOT and V5 reg docs say it's a VT 750 C2-8 (I'm not sure what the 8 is?) When I got there, I looked on teh reg documents and it says date of first registration is 2011. So I thought that was fine, and it looked so new and had done few miles.

I just got back and looked at the VIN number on the bike. When I enter it, it comes up saying it is a 2008 model! Can anyone help me out here, have I been cheated, or am I missing something? Here is the VIN :

JH2RC53A68K110848

I'd really appreciate any help regarding this
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:30 PM

Does the frame number or vin number match your title? To me that would be the biggest thing to worry about.

1995 VT1100 Ace
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Hi Not2sure

Sorry Im not sure what you mean by matching my title? Could you explain
post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Something is definitely not right..... The 10th digit on your vin indicates that it's a 2008 model.

You should look into this further. I see you're in the UK; here in the USA (in Michigan) because the registration cost is based on the value of the vehicle, when they punch in the VIN they would know immediately if the year on the title doesn't match the year on the VIN.

Also, if you were to put full coverage insurance on the vehicle, the insurance company would know right away too. They're not going to insure a 2008 vehicle as a 2011.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you......

Phil

1973 Yamaha RD-350

Sterling Heights, Michigan
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Hi Phil

Yeah I'm really confused. As I said, on the V5 registration document, it says Date of first registration : 30,03,2011. But then the VIN says something different.

I'm a bit worried about it, but don't know what to do. When you say look into it further, what do you imagine I can do?

Any help from anyone I'd really appreciate it. Starting to feel I may have made a stupid mistake. But the people seemed really honest. I know where the guy works, although it is about 4 hours away from where I live! I really don't believe they were trying to deceive me.

I just put the Registration into the DVLA website, and this info came up :

Vehicle details
Vehicle make HONDA
Date of first registration March 2011
Year of manufacture 2011

?

Last edited by robodelfy; 03-18-2017 at 03:32 PM.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Garage
Was the bike imported? It may have been first registered there in 2011, but somewhere else in 2008.

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey" - Jan 2017 BOTM

Mods/Ad-ons to date:
NC Switchblade
NC Chrome Deflectors
NC Hand Deflectors
Oxford Grip Heaterz
Mutazu LW Saddle bags
Willie & Max Handlebar bag
Highway pegs (eBay)
Gremlin Bell (gift from my son)
Mustang Seat!
Crash Bars
Vance and Hines Cruzers
Rear Signal relocation
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 PM

It's entirely possible for a 3 year or older bike to registered as new. Honda dealer near me had several VTX1300's that were 10 years old but still brand new. Maybe the buyer you got it form was unaware that it was a 2008 and since they got it new it 2011, just assumed that it was a 2011.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
Was the bike imported? It may have been first registered there in 2011, but somewhere else in 2008.
That shouldn't happen in this day and age. Years ago when the database was not computerized maybe bit now a days I don't think it possible to register a vehicle new twice.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
It's entirely possible for a 3 year or older bike to registered as new. Honda dealer near me had several VTX1300's that were 10 years old but still brand new. Maybe the buyer you got it form was unaware that it was a 2008 and since they got it new it 2011, just assumed that it was a 2011.
This makes a lot of sense. You could talk to the local police and have them run the vin number of the bike or go to the local dmv to see what they have to say. I would start there if it was me. You will get a straight answer from either right away. DMV would be first on my list.

1995 VT1100 Ace
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
That shouldn't happen in this day and age. Years ago when the database was not computerized maybe bit now a days I don't think it possible to register a vehicle new twice.

It could be if they are 2 different countries. The op is in the U.K.

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey" - Jan 2017 BOTM

Mods/Ad-ons to date:
NC Switchblade
NC Chrome Deflectors
NC Hand Deflectors
Oxford Grip Heaterz
Mutazu LW Saddle bags
Willie & Max Handlebar bag
Highway pegs (eBay)
Gremlin Bell (gift from my son)
Mustang Seat!
Crash Bars
Vance and Hines Cruzers
Rear Signal relocation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page