Honda Shadow Forums banner

Opinions on a few things

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  bigdlb12 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Shadow Sabre 1100, first bike so I am new to a lot of this.

This isn't my bike, but mine is very similar to this

I wanted y'alls (Yup Texan here) opinion on painting the wheels black?

I recently removed the windshield but left the clips on, thoughts on looks with vs without?

Can I remove or cover the Shadow decal or sticker on the tank? or is their something I can place over it to cover it?

and lastly

slip on exhaust? is it worth it? and if so, what kind or brand?

Any help is good, thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum,,,

I wanted y'alls (Yup Texan here) opinion on painting the wheels black? Go for it!!! I think it will look good. You could even get creative and only paiting parts of them.

I recently removed the windshield but left the clips on, thoughts on looks with vs without? Personally I do not like windshields. I will be getting one for the colder months and I might change my mind.

Can I remove or cover the Shadow decal or sticker on the tank? or is their something I can place over it to cover it? Just peel it off.

Please remember that what you do to your bike is to make you happy. Do what you like!!!>:)

#6 · (Edited)
I have a 2006 Shadow Sabre 1100, first bike so I am new to a lot of this.

This isn't my bike, but mine is very similar to this

I like that. I need to find a hot picture of Kate Upton. Then I can post it with a like qualifier....This isn't my wife, but mine is very similar to this. lol

I wanted y'alls (Yup Texan here) opinion on painting the wheels black?

Its been done many times. I like black bits, but in my opinion those wheels offer too much area for black.

I recently removed the windshield but left the clips on, thoughts on looks with vs without?

I'm a function over form guy. I like windshield's.

Can I remove or cover the Shadow decal or sticker on the tank? or is their something I can place over it to cover it?

Certainly you can do either. Just be aware that if you plan to remove it, you're going to have to grind off the clear coat first.

and lastly

slip on exhaust? is it worth it? and if so, what kind or brand?

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Looking for better performance....slip on aren't going to help you. On the other hand, if all you want is noise without the benefit of performance, slip ons are the way to go.

Call me crazy, I like quiet motorcycles that run well.

Any help is good, thanks
:smile2:

#8 · (Edited)
Here is my bike man, lol the Kate Upton reference had me rolling

and here

Good one @gat803 ! ^^^^

I hate the looks of a windshield, but love the benefits of one. I took the old man windshield off that was on mine and got the shorty. Really doesn't do anything in the down position, but with a push of a button, it raises up slightly and the top goes away from you. It keeps most of the wind off and still looks pretty decent.

My Shadow, I would take it off because it looked so badass with out it, then I'd ride it about a mile, and then remember why I keep it on there.

I agree with the others here. Do your own thing and make it your own. Wether it looks good to anybody else or not, it really doesn't matter. Just as long as it's the way you like it. I've seen some funky stuff done to a bike. Saw a BMW like mine, the guy had put apehanger bars on it, forward controls (keep in mind it's pretty much a sport bike with rear controls from factory), and he put a bunch of BMW mailbox letters all over it. He was proud of it, so I just said to him"Looks like you put a lot of work into it, looks good" and walked away. I ain't gonna harp on anybody for the way they like their bike.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/...6-10/0D03217E-683E-465D-B479-2D1925D8337C.jpg
same here, love the benifit but hate the look of the windshield
I wear a bandanna to keep the bugs out of my mouth, then I dont really like the full face helmet either , I have a 1/2 and 3/4 that I like better, with goggles of course

#7 ·
Good one @gat803 ! ^^^^

I hate the looks of a windshield, but love the benefits of one. I took the old man windshield off that was on mine and got the shorty. Really doesn't do anything in the down position, but with a push of a button, it raises up slightly and the top goes away from you. It keeps most of the wind off and still looks pretty decent.

My Shadow, I would take it off because it looked so badass with out it, then I'd ride it about a mile, and then remember why I keep it on there.

I agree with the others here. Do your own thing and make it your own. Wether it looks good to anybody else or not, it really doesn't matter. Just as long as it's the way you like it. I've seen some funky stuff done to a bike. Saw a BMW like mine, the guy had put apehanger bars on it, forward controls (keep in mind it's pretty much a sport bike with rear controls from factory), and he put a bunch of BMW mailbox letters all over it. He was proud of it, so I just said to him"Looks like you put a lot of work into it, looks good" and walked away. I ain't gonna harp on anybody for the way they like their bike.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/...6-10/0D03217E-683E-465D-B479-2D1925D8337C.jpg

#9 · (Edited)
Personally I love the Sabre wheels as they are, so my opinon on painting them black is no way...for me. If you like black I agree with GAT...it's gonna be a lotta black on those wheels. Might not look great. In my opinion you'd be better of getting 1100 ACE spoke wheels and painting them black. Yes they fit your bike. You should have no trouble trading with a member here on the For Sale board.

#12 ·
I love the Sabre wheels as they are, so my opinon on painting them black is no way...for me.
Ditto ^^^^ Most bikes look better without windscreens...I too am from over function. If I had a tricked out show bike I wouldn't have one on it. Any other bike....I'm sitting behind plastic. Slip ons....waste of money if you ask me. A little louder exhaust....what's the point? If you want loud, go big or go home. Personally I would rather have a quiet bike and listen to music. Vroom and rumble gets old quick. I like the look of your bike....decal and all.

#20 ·
To be honest when I see a tank without an emblem on a bike that's not custom painted, it always looks like something is missing. I think manufacturers emblems look better than decals though. As an option, maybe you could find a cool emblem and cover the decal with it.

#21 ·
I had an 04 Sabre (great bike) - black like the one I'm guessing you have. Even after I sold it, I'd ride by the buyers house occasionally just to look at it. Personally, I like the wheels the way they are; and while I don't care for windshields either, after I took a bird (one that flys, not one on a hand) at 70, in the face, I put a windshield between me and the world of rocks, critters, and crap.

Don't really remember the after market pipe I put on, think it was a Vance and Hines. I was disappointed in the sound - it amplified the normal sound of the 1100. Seemed batty to me. But like someone wisely said - it's your scoot, do what you want with it. You certainly have a great bike for your first ride - good on gas, reliable and fun. If you haven't done so, consider taking an MSF rider's course or whatever they offer in your neck of the woods. I've lost two rider friends in the past 10 years. Be careful out there, eh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.