A Good Low Speed Handling Reminder. - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

A Good Low Speed Handling Reminder.

The video title says Harley Davidson riding tips, and good info for being on a big bike, but solid for everyone.

Great info, simple and well presented that should help newer riders not only know the 4 points, but to actually understand them. I like that the instructor doesn't just say, friction point, trail brake, look where you're going, but explains WHY you do these things. Like if no power to the rear wheel you're telling the bike to fall down.

Hope it helps some. Reminded me of some things I've gotten a little lazy on because the Shadow handles pretty nice and easy, but I need to pay attention more to with the Electra Glide. Like keeping the revs right and some power to the rear wheel. I've caught myself just letting the Shadow coast a parking lot turn now and then and get back on the clutch and power after because I can do that. The heavy HD ain't so forgiving. It will handle low speed maneuvers just fine. IF you do your part and don't slack off.

As a fellow over in the shooting world says, "You are beginner once and a student for life."

La vida está en el viento. (Life is in the wind.)

RIP Miss Andi. It was a good and long run old pup.

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM

Garage
A Good Low Speed Handling Reminder.

Good video, that's just 200 miles down the Hwy from me.

Sitting on my Shadow making vroom vroom noises.

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey"

Mods/Ad-ons to date:
NC Switchblade
NC Chrome Deflectors
NC Hand Deflectors
Oxford Grip Heaterz
Power Trip Saddle bags
Willie & Max Handlebar bag
Highway pegs (eBay)
Gremlin Bell (gift from my son)
Mustang Seat!
Crash Bars
Vance and Hines Cruzers
Rear Signal relocation
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:33 AM

I've seen a lot of bikers over the years drop their ride just coming up to a stop sign or come up to the sign with their feet splayed out trying to keep control. For some people using the rear brake and the throttle at the same time doesn't make sense.

“My father says almost the wholeworld’s asleep. Everybody you know,everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says only a few people are awake. And they live in a state of constant total amazement.”

“ From the Movie ‘Joe Vs The Volcano’

2001 Valkyrie I/S
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramie View Post
I've seen a lot of bikers over the years drop their ride just coming up to a stop sign or come up to the sign with their feet splayed out trying to keep control. For some people using the rear brake and the throttle at the same time doesn't make sense.
Don't know why, but I always feel unstable coming to stop not using both brakes? Occasionally, you can't use both brakes (wet manhole covers, cattle grates etc.), but, never have felt comfortable using just the front brake coming to a stop. Ideally, head up, look forward, one foot down at a stop.

But yeah.. I use the throttle, rear brake and slipping the clutch in slow speed maneuvers. Empty parking lots for practice (which I still like to go do, on occasion).

You can also use the fact that a bike will fall over when cutting power, to your advantage - especially from a stop at greater than a 90 degree turn.. Pull forward slightly, sharp turn of the handlebars, cut power to the rear wheel until the bike falls, then stand it back up with a little throttle.. You can make really sharp turns from a stop, in really tight spaces, doing that.

Family, Friends, Love and Life..
Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

C u r r e n t ... S c o o t s:
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour - 2015 Triumph Tiger XCX
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 AM

Garage
I am basically stopped before my feet hit the ground, often I don't even put the feet down, I feather the clutch and creep along.

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey"

Mods/Ad-ons to date:
NC Switchblade
NC Chrome Deflectors
NC Hand Deflectors
Oxford Grip Heaterz
Power Trip Saddle bags
Willie & Max Handlebar bag
Highway pegs (eBay)
Gremlin Bell (gift from my son)
Mustang Seat!
Crash Bars
Vance and Hines Cruzers
Rear Signal relocation
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 AM

I'm a two braker also. Rear 1st. control arse, front second to do the major braking or conjunction of both similar to how linked braking systems work.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100 "Lil' Sista"
99' Valkyrie
Ride Bell by "Yoman"

To everything there are exceptions.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
I am basically stopped before my feet hit the ground, often I don't even put the feet down, I feather the clutch and creep along.
I was doing that yesterday at a stop light - the "how sloooowwww can you go" thing.. when waiting for traffic to begin rolling off a freshly turned green..Problem is, I daren't look down at my speedo at those speeds for fear of falling off!!

Pretty-slow though, is a reasonable estimate.

Ahhhh... the games we play!

Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I use my front brake quite a bit for straight up stops. Or at least on the Shadow. The HD seems to have crap for front brakes with both disc. Have to get that sorted out However, on the Shadow I roll up to a light and as I come to a stop both feet lower like stands as the bike stops. (I've already down shifted.)

At stop signs I get a perverse pleasure from coming to a complete stop with my feet up then taking off. The trick is you feel the forward inertia still in the machine keeping the bike upright and you can feel it start to ebb to a zero point. Before hitting that fall over zero point you ease out the clutch and continue on. I've also used that trick in traffic at lights when the light goes green as I'm coming up on the vehicles in front as long as they don't sit there too long before taking off I can come to a complete forward motion stop for a few seconds and as long as I can ease forward after just a little bit I can keep feet up and mosey on. I did it on both Shadows and recently the HD.

We had a guy in our club who would paddle his feet taking off and come down paddling towards a stop which made things worse. Either he was scared of the bike or just stuck on bad technique. He would also make big gaps in group rides, especially in turns. I'm pretty much going with too timid and lacking confidence and trust in the bike and basic physics.

As I noted before, I'm going to have the take the barge, I mean the HD out and practice some low speed turning and maneuvering using proper technique since I can't shortcut and slack off the way I can on the Shadow.

La vida está en el viento. (Life is in the wind.)

RIP Miss Andi. It was a good and long run old pup.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
...At stop signs I get a perverse pleasure from coming to a complete stop with my feet up then taking off. The trick is you feel the forward inertia still in the machine keeping the bike upright and you can feel it start to ebb to a zero point. Before hitting that fall over zero point you ease out the clutch and continue on..
I will put a foot down. It's pure pedantism on my part. Foot down, count to two-and-a-breath, then, off I trot. But I know what you mean.. That inch along to that dead stop where you are in that Zen-zone - Processing Everything down to the vibration of the RPM's, camber of the road, wind speed, very cool.

'Like to see you're average Ohhhhhhm'ing Monk pull that crap off!

We talk about focus a lot, riding a bike, and where you get to that point where you just switch yourself off and become part of the machine, processing everything around you without too much conscious thought - "Flying" at that point.

But that slow crawl to a stop. Still does it for me.

Take Care and Ride Safe,
Mark..

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy71 View Post
I like to do the same. I feel like I'm "practicing" for the "slow ride" bike games. You get used to using both brakes AND feathering the clutch at the same time. Those skills can be put to use on ANY bike, big or small.

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"
'03 Spirit 750
Ride Bells by blue flames and shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page