How Many Times Have You Tipped Your Bike? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

How Many Times Have You Tipped Your Bike?

Ok, a little self deprecation here.

How many times have you just slipped up (in a turn, slip on gravel, etc.) and lost your bike? I did this few times in the early days of riding. What results? Well for me.. a circular hand brake lever in all cases.

3 times I've:

1) Stopped in a turn on the course in rider's training. The instructor indicated this was exactly why it happened. Though this was to happen a few more times in the future, the lesson was instilled in my head like a 2x4 was nailed to it.

2) Stopped in a turn again (on the grass!!). I didn't realize the rather long grass I was on would not allow me to square up easily. Down she went. I was still not instinctively thinking "square up" yet.

3) My lesson on parking lots that ramp down was taught here. Being new I didn't have the ability to adjust to a downward slope while being in a turning position. Down she went again. I was leaving work on this one and my "performance" was rather public. This one had me feeling like a real @ss. Especially when I struggled to get the bike back up. Man, if I could only have sold tickets for that one.

Current Bike:
2016 Indian Chief Dark Horse

Previous Bikes:
1994 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:57 AM

Never in a turn but once in the grass after washing it
Once backing it in the shed and clipped the door with the bag

And one time leaving the bar my foot slipped on some wet leaves and well down it went

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:06 PM

Garage
Practicing for the MSF course and U turns. I always hated right hand U turns, for some reason they just feel wrong. Left hand is fine but not right. So I decided to try it on a quiet street to make a right U turn, and since it was a down slope as mentioned above, I fell over down hill in the middle of the street. No cars coming, until after the fall. No harm done except for the embarrassment of being a newbie again. I am much more cautious of slopes now !

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
1983 750 Shadow
From the past=
1951 Cushman scooter
1962 Honda 305 Dream
1965 Honda 305 Dream
1971 Honda 175 scrambler
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Garage
The first time, I forgot to put the kickstand down.

Second time, my foot slipped o some gravel at a stop sign.

No damage either time.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/a...C64070057F.jpg

2002 750 ACE DELUXE: Sold
2003 BMW K1200GT
Ride Bell by Old Dad
Ride Bell by Gnarly
Ride Cross by "Captain D"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:26 PM

Garage
I only tip when there is good service. The idea of an automatic tip seems counterproductive and I hate when the tip is included on the bill. Recently one bar here included a preset tip of 18% on their handheld and sales went down so it was removed. But why tip a bike? It cant spend the money. That just doesn't make any ..... Oh .... wait...

After a longish ride my GF was in a hurry to visit the ladies room and forgot the sidestand so her VT750 went over. It was quite interesting since I was watching from my bike and could not do anything but she actually got off and the bike stayed upright for a little while. Fortunately that bike has engine guards that I mount rubber bumpers on the contact area so not even a scratch.

On a mountain highway I pulled my GW over at a view area. There was a big dip going from asphalt to shoulder. After a rest, went to ride back onto the highway. My front tire was on the asphalt and my rear tire was on the lower shoulder. Just then a car came into view so I stopped. My left foot went out but simply waived in the air as I was too elevated to reach the ground. On the GW once it starts going over, that's it. Fortunately that bike has engine guards too.

G.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 PM

Never while moving, but a few times on wet grass in my own backyard. I don't park it there anymore.

Almost on gravel once on the road. I slammed my foot down so hard to keep from going over that my leg hurt for days.

Last year after breaking camp I pulled up to the dumpster before hitting the road to toss the trash. It had rained most of the night and the ground under the gravel was just hard enough to hold up the bike long enough for me to think it was secure, then slowly give way while my back was turned. It was too heavy to lift back up because all the gear was loaded. I had to take everything off, right the bike, move it to harder ground, and reload it again.

And, most embarrassing, a couple of times when I was more focused on what was getting off the bike to do that I neglected to put the kickstand down.

Bike tipping. Not just for newbies.

2005 Shadow VLX 600 "Saya"

"Pray, Hope, and Don't Worry. God is merciful and will hear your prayers" - St. Pio
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
Only the very first time I got on a bike, and it was my friend's KZ100 that he was selling, and I was a potential buyer. He showed me the controls, and said, "Go!", so I went. On the way back to tell him I wanted to get it, I couldn't remember how to stop, except for the front brake, but when I reached for it, the throttle turned more, causing the bike to slip out from under me, bending the brake pedal and a turn signal. Then, I HAD to buy the bike, since I "broke" it. Bent the pedal and turn signal back to straight, and rode that baby around the back yard for a few years (since I was only 13, and not allowed to ride it on the streets). That was pretty much the ONLY time I "tipped" or "dropped" a bike. NEVER done it since. Not even with my old '85 Goldwing Aspencade that was SUPER heavy! My wife, on the other hand, dropped that thing when she thought she had the kickstand down, but it wasn't fully extended, and it pinched her boot between the bike and the ground, and the first time we rode together, I had her wear my steel-toed boots, and she got it stuck under the shifter, tipping her new bike over, again, pinning her boot between the bike and the ground. At least, neither time, she was really hurt!

(((=-JammeR-=)))
"My Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, tires screeching, totally used up, thoroughly worn out, and loudly proclaiming...WOW! What a Ride!!"
'03 Spirit 750
Ride Bells by blue flames and shadowride69 (THANKS!!)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:17 PM

Garage
Only a few times,,,once recently I the driveway,,,hard right turn on uphill grade with a progressive grade in the turn. My speed got too slow and over it went.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

There is nothing like your knees in the breeze!!!

2013 Shadow Phantom
[IMG][/IMG]

Previous Bikes
1995 Suzuki VS800GLS Intruder
1982 Suzuki GS450L

Ride Bell By Old Dad.

Ride Cross gifted from Captain D
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

As the saying goes:
"There are only two kind of bikers...... those who have tipped their bikes and those who will"

I say POPPY-CROCK to sayings; in the 25-plus years I've been riding, I have never tipped my bike over.

Phil

1973 Yamaha RD-350

Sterling Heights, Michigan
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 PM

Garage
Never tipped my bike, I've dropped it, but never tipped it. Oh, and not this bike, 86 Interceptor I had in High School, many moons ago.

2006 Shadow Aero 750, "Audrey"

Mods/Ad-ons to date:
NC Switchblade
NC Chrome Deflectors
NC Hand Deflectors
Oxford Grip Heaterz
Power Trip Saddle bags
Willie & Max Handlebar bag
Highway pegs (eBay)
Gremlin Bell (gift from my son)
Mustang Seat!
Crash Bars
Vance and Hines Cruzers
Rear Signal relocation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page