Honda Shadow Forums banner

Questions on Towing a motorcycle

5K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  Cerberus 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about building one of those receiver hitch tow racks for an '04 Sabre. How does this affect the final drive? Can it cause problems or damage it?

TIA

#3 ·
Aftermarket hitches are made for our bikes. I don't think it would cause any more wear and tear than running down the road 2up and fully loaded. @SuperboyX has a 750 ace fully dressed and pulls a trailer all over the place, so certainly your 1100 is up for it.

#4 ·
@PhantomRider64 I've read on Amazon reviews for new ones the same concerns which is why I posted here. Maybe I should have posted in the Tech area. Can you expand further? Is the final drive difficult to unhook or remove for towing?
@smilie I'm looking at towing the bike with an SUV. Although the trailer hitch for the bike is coming next year, hopefully.

#6 ·
@PhantomRider64 I've read on Amazon reviews for new ones the same concerns which is why I posted here. Maybe I should have posted in the Tech area. Can you expand further? Is the final drive difficult to unhook or remove for towing?

@smilie I'm looking at towing the bike with an SUV. Although the trailer hitch for the bike is coming next year, hopefully.
You cannot unhook final drive. Rear wheel rotates on it. It should be fine, you won't be hitting speeds anywhere near what the bike is capable of.

#8 ·
And I SURE Dunno!!! ;)

I`ve read owners manuals for some cars, which state => ""DO NOT EXCEED 45MPH" IF Pushing or Pulling or Towing :)???
"I SURE Dunno"
D

#11 ·
+1 you will also wear down your rear tire if your pulling any distance, I wouldn't do it, rent a trailer.

#12 ·
The consensus is right, oil is only flowing through the trans while it's running, it's also designed to be more effective when heated, which you won't be doing.

Final drive will be ok, trans is your main concern. I would just get a u-haul box, then you'll have a dry bike for the whole trip too

#16 · (Edited)
Get the Patch => I Rode Mine!!!

I got it,
D

:D:D

Yup!
Most of the time, this is the way I roll!!!

I`ve gotten many miles of enjoyment PLUS I Rode Mine patches thissaway too...
BUT!
I do trailer, too, when needed....

I just Dunno about the trailing Motorcycle behind...

I can enter a few "What Ifs" also=>

What IF you do like I have done?
Whilst trailering, I forgot about the trailer and Ann hollers, "
Don`t forget you got a trailer back there"
What IF you were to Go to Back up and forget the BIKE is back there??
I`d feel AWFUL IF I runned over my Motorcycle!!!

@152,300+ miles, my HONDA ain`t wore out yet,
@"Captain D"

#14 ·
I saw a unit that allows you to put the front tire in a holder that attaches to your trailer hitch. The unit sold for prox. $300.00.

USA Trailer has their ACE Single Rail Trailer that folds for $895. They also list their Dandy Hauler for $89.00.

Lowe's lists a 5 x 8ft Carry-On Trailer for $599.00 (was $729.00)

You may wsnt to consider the distance you will be towing before you decide, and also check with your M/C dealer on the trans question.

Some people have also videos of converting the H/F Foldable Trailer to a M/C Trailer.

Just some thoughts.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Not sure if this is doable but why not tow it backward? Tie the steering securely and pull it backward, with the rear wheel off the ground in a secure carrier. Then the front tire will be the only thing rotating. Unless you have a speedo cable which is easy to unhook for the drive. Many front wheel drive cars were towed that way till they came out with flatbed tow trucks.

#19 ·
I think the oil in the sump/tranny would move around enough to keep gears lubed somewhat...
BUT???I still Dunno!!
I won`t be pulling mine without a trailer under it ;)

@152,300+ miles, my HONDA ain`t wore out yet,
@"Captain D"

Thank You @jpr 1968 for taking time to look it up in the manual

#20 ·
Rent or buy a trailer! Trailering is not the best option by most "True Bikers" standards, but sometimes it IS what's feasible. I personally would not try this one wheel towing option, just not something I would trust. As for pulling backwards, what if the bars are not truly straight when they are tied? U-Haul open trailer is cheap enough, as around some people have trailers they will loan out, some may even have a wheel chock mounted! My bike has been on a trailer once, it will be 2x more before the year is out likely, but I have a young child, a wife and dog that go with us when we go on trips, a baby sitter will keep them and let us ride some, the bike follows nicely on the trailer, throw on a cooler and other items and you have much more room in tow vehicle.

#21 ·

Attachments

#23 ·
Here is a diagram of the 1100 system and many others are very similar. I always thought that oil would be slung around enough on a car trans or even a bike trans but since these are made to be pressure lubed it may be a gamble to tow with the rear wheel.

Attachments

#25 ·
The oil is pumped under pressure through the shafts and goes out drilled holes to lube the shaft and bearing surfaces. The gear teeth aren't the sensitive area when spinning it is the bearing surfaces spinning that could go dry and heat and seize.

Attachments

#27 ·
I concur,,,Even if the gears can splash the oil around the bearings may get enough oil.

For me it would not be worth the gamble.

I bought my 5x10 utility trailer for $600 new. That would be about the cost of rebuilding a tranny. And I can use the trailer for many other things.:smile2:

If towing a trailer is not an option,,,they do make carriers that carry a bike sideways and completely off the ground. I think the load capacity is only 400# but you might be able to have one made that would be strong enough to carry a shadow. The downside to these carriers is that it could exceed the "tongue weight" rating of the vehicle.

Attachments

#26 ·
SO!!
I see the conscience of our Gurus (I think) is ==>
DO NOT PULL your Bike like this...
:D

I Can`t argue with this expert advice and experience,
D

My Daddy always said, " Expert = >
X = Unknown Quality & Spurt, a Drip under pressure"

BUT!
I ain`t towing mine like that!!!
@152,500+ miles, my HONDA ain`t wore out yet, @"Captain D"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.