750 vs 883 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
vbm

Default 750 vs 883

Both bikes have advantages and disadvantages. The Honda is less expensive to begin with and has plenty of aftermarket goodies available. The Harley can be upgraded to a 1200cc bike pretty easily and has plenty of aftermarket parts available. The main problem with the Honda is it's engine cannot be upgraded to have more horse power or more cc's. The Harley can have the engine horse power increased with a stage one kit and the engine size can be upgraded by installing larger cylinders and pistons, etc. They are both very reliable and make great commuter or short trip bikes. It is my understanding that this is the last year for the 1100cc shadows. It is also the last year for the 883 sportsters. It all boils down to personal taste and whether or not you are going to wants more horsepower down the road. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Good luck and ride safe.
vbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Physical size of the bike is also a consideration. I am a big guy (6'4" 220), and I look RIDICULOUS riding a Sportster (883 or 1200). That's why we tend to refer to Sportsters as "girl's bikes" around here. The Shadow lineup has a generally larger feel to the bike as a whole (gas tank width, tire size, etc.), even though they are comparable in engine size.

There are always an infinite number of factors to consider when choosing between bikes, and it always comes down to a personal judgment call.

2002 ACE 750 Deluxe

The Skunkworx Custom Cycle
Mechanic/Assembler
Webmaster
www.skunkworxcc.com
ShadowOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Excepting the 883L, the Sportster has a higher seat height than *any* shadow. Not sure how that qualifies it as a small "girl's" bike.

Currently, if I wanted another cruiser, I'd consider a Sportie. The standard mid-controls make far more sense than the feet-foward set up that all the Hondas (and most other cruisers) come with.
chornbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
vbm

Well I'm not so sure about girls bike ... lol. Sportsters are really just entry level Harleys. They are lightweight, low to the ground and easy to handle. I recently sold my 1998 Honda Shadow Aero and bought a 2003 Harley Road Glide. It's not much larger but has a lot more power and I like the frame mounted fairing. My son rides a XL1200C Sportster and calls my bike a geezer glide. Both of our bikes have stage I mods and move right down the road. Ride safe.
vbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

A Sportster

Is a long running model that has propelled millions into the motorcycling world and at one time held the bragging rights to the fastest hot rod street bike. It in nimble, can be ridden agrresively, can be chopped, stroked and customized almost infinitely. I am not sure about the current Big Twins with the increase engine size but previously a stock 1200 Sporty could outrun most any Harley Big Twin. Bronson rode a Sporty, it was Sonny Bargers Harley of choice. Girls bike? Hardly, especially the old XLCH's which with their kick starts could cripple a man with careless starting habits. A Honda 750 is a nice bike, a Sportster is a legend.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave
A Sportster

Is a long running model that has propelled millions into the motorcycling world and at one time held the bragging rights to the fastest hot rod street bike. It in nimble, can be ridden agrresively, can be chopped, stroked and customized almost infinitely. I am not sure about the current Big Twins with the increase engine size but previously a stock 1200 Sporty could outrun most any Harley Big Twin. Bronson rode a Sporty, it was Sonny Bargers Harley of choice. Girls bike? Hardly, especially the old XLCH's which with their kick starts could cripple a man with careless starting habits. A Honda 750 is a nice bike, a Sportster is a legend.
I tend to agree. Check out this month's issue in Playboy (Please), they have a tribute to the Sporty and people who rode them, Elvis, Evil Knievel and who could forget Rob Halford of Judas Priest..............OK we can forget him.
hunnus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

dont forget that the honda shadows are water cooled and the sportsters are not if I can remember correctly...makes a big difference if the heat we have hear in Arkansas...
Old 06-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgill
dont forget that the honda shadows are water cooled and the sportsters are not if I can remember correctly...makes a big difference if the heat we have hear in Arkansas...
So to the late Duane Allman
Old 06-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I rode a sporty one summer day and it was a considerably warmer ride than my shadow.

Work Hard...Play Hard...and know the right time to do each.
Vintage B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage B
Quote:
I rode a sporty one summer day and it was a considerably warmer ride than my shadow.
Sounds like a song

I road my Sporty on a summer day
the heat from the exhaust melted my boots away
My leg was on fire
smoke rising from my skin
don't ever want another ride
like that one again

I started out as pale as can be
it only took a 1/2 hr
to tan the lower me

I was sure hungry
and I gambled on a hunch