Best engine size for two-up riding? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best engine size for two-up riding?

In short, I'd like to get a bike for two-up riding with my wife and have ruled out my beloved Sabre because of insufficient seat size, too low of a 5'th gear and lastly...I just don't think that the 1100cc engine is big enough for us! Here is a list that I tried to compile of the 4 Japanese cruiser/tourer engine sizes and let me know if I missed any. Some sizes are rounded off and some aren't.

Honda: 750cc, 1100cc, 1300cc, 1800cc, 1832cc Wing
Yamaha: 650cc, 1100cc, 1300cc(V4), 1670cc, 1854cc
Kawasaki: 900cc, 1500cc, 1600cc, 2000cc
Suzuki: 800cc, 1360cc, 1500cc, 1800cc

Which engine size, (irrespective of other considerations,) do you think is ideal for two-up riding power-wise? All opinions are welcome.

*** P.S. We're both of moderate weight.

H. L. Altimus
2003 VT1100C2 Sabre
hlaltimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Uhm... I know this seems simplistic, but in the engines you listed, assuming they're all the V-Twins (excluding the 'wing), bigger is *always* better. Larger V-Twins rely on long-strokes to create torque. Excepting the sport-bike twins (like Ducatis) all the typical American style V-Twins are going to be Over-Square stroke engines, and bigger will be better. The exceptions arhe single-pin cranks. They shouldn't be a consideration if moving weight is your primary concern. Dual pin cranks deliver better (and more consistent dyno curves) torque.

having said that, I'm there's a point of diminishing returns. Out of everything you mentioned, the GL1800 will smoke every bike in the line-up you're looking at - low-speed power delivery and in high-rpm power delivery. It's an unfair ringer.
chornbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well, this will help,
In the later model bikes (Mid 90's and up) you can probably rule out about all engine sizes below 1000cc. 500, 550, 600, 650, 750, are out.
Next you could rule out a lot of others if you can figure out what would be the main type of riding you want the bike to be able to do?
Touring?
Short Trips?
Ect. ect..............
Then you might do good to figure how much money your willing to put in on the bike?
$25,000, or $12,000??
If you want a Wing, but you can't spend over $10,000 then your going to have to buy a used one!

If you keep eliminating options you can narrow the field a LOT! from there your choice's will be a lot simpler.
MarkC
#27 in W.M.R
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Heres a real simplistic reply..whatever works for you.

That could mean anything to anyone because after all it all boils down to personal preference, distance travelled and rider size. I met two lovely lesbians at the MPAL ride last week who were quite content to ride all cozy two up on their Honda Rebel.

The 1100 Sabre works out real well for Linda and myself. What works for you? I am not saying that you are but sometimes folks ask questions like this to justify buying a new larger ride.. hey if that is what you want then go for it! Otherwise I would tend to say that anything above 900 cc's will give the average two up riders a comfortable journey without breaking the budget, and if they want more comfort features, time to start looking at the many touring offerings out there
Old 09-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave

That could mean anything to anyone because after all it all boils down to personal preference, distance travelled and rider size. I met two lovely lesbians at the MPAL ride last week who were quite content to ride all cozy two up on their Honda Rebel.

The 1100 Sabre works out real well for Linda and myself. What works for you? I am not saying that you are but sometimes folks ask questions like this to justify buying a new larger ride.. hey if that is what you want then go for it! Otherwise I would tend to say that anything above 900 cc's will give the average two up riders a comfortable journey without breaking the budget, and if they want more comfort features, time to start looking at the many touring offerings out there
Well, I thought he said he had a VT1100 Sabre and he didn't feel like that was enough bike (or engine) He aslo said that the seat was a problem, but a good after market seat couold fix that.
MarkC
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

It just depends on what your criteria are. My 1100 Spirit, which is geared more for the highway than the Sabre, strikes me as ideal because it has more than enough power, uses less gas than the big bikes, cost me next to nothing to buy, and is bullet-proof reliable. But cost and reliablility are my criteria. Maybe you need more of the wow factor. Dunno. It's up to you.
randyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave

Well, I thought he said he had a VT1100 Sabre and he didn't feel like that was enough bike (or engine) He aslo said that the seat was a problem, but a good after market seat couold fix that.
MarkC
See how inattentive I can be ( slaps self upside the head! )

I must be missing something however, the seat is an easy fix..can anyone say Mustang? As far as all else is concerned, we total over 400lbs and we can cruise all day long covering between 200- 500 miles at seepds 0f 50-80 mph with no problems from the 1100 mill at all NH is not a flat land state and we have been up and down our share of mountains hills and valleys, gearing has not been a problem. Then again as I stated it is all a matter of personal preference..
Old 09-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

obviously, the more weight on the bike, the bigger the engine should be.

I would like to add though, that i ride with a passenger on my 750 many times. Even on long trips. The extra passanger doesnt seem to 'bog' it down at all.

But, if i was married, and 'had' to bring the wife along (and hear no complaining), I'd get at least 1100 cc.
HardLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

My wife and I take our 1100 spirit everywhere. And I'm a big guy. We've done city, highway, long trips, the works. No problems.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

My husband and I used to ride very comfortably on his V-Star 1100. Combined weight at the time almost 400 pounds.

I would opt for the 1300 if you're looking at those though. Sweet ride for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement