fuel tank capacity - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to newshadow
Default fuel tank capacity

This may be a question for the technical page but i'll try it here first.

According to my manual the capacity of my tank on my 02 750 ace is 3.43 gallons, it then says that the capacity of the reserve is 1.6 gallons.

So what i'm wondering is, is the total capacity 3.43 gallons or is it 5.03.

It's time to put it away for the winter and I'm trying to figure out how much Stay-bil to put in.

I was also wondering if I should put some fuel line de-icer in as well.

Thanks for any help.

2002 750 Ace Deluxe ( blue- fastest)

Ride bell by Kara

CMC Ottawa
newshadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: fuel tank capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshadow
This may be a question for the technical page but i'll try it here first.

According to my manual the capacity of my tank on my 02 750 ace is 3.43 gallons, it then says that the capacity of the reserve is 1.6 gallons.

So what i'm wondering is, is the total capacity 3.43 gallons or is it 5.03.

It's time to put it away for the winter and I'm trying to figure out how much Stay-bil to put in.

I was also wondering if I should put some fuel line de-icer in as well.

Thanks for any help.
the total is the 3.43. yeah, that's confusing.

I'm not a huge fan of the gas additives, other than a few ounces of cleaner a couple of times a year. Opinions vary.
chornbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to newshadow

Ok thanks Chornbe

2002 750 Ace Deluxe ( blue- fastest)

Ride bell by Kara

CMC Ottawa
newshadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornbe
I'm not a huge fan of the gas additives, other than a few ounces of cleaner a couple of times a year.
Concur. Unless you're storing the bike for more than a few months -- or -- have limited access to quality gasoline from reputable stations, fuel additives for storage seem like a waste of money to me. I've parked cars for more than a year with no additives at all and had no problems with the fuel.

You don't want to leave the carbs full of fuel when you park the bike because it will evaporate and leave undesirable residue. And you want the tank as full as you can get it to reduce condensation issues. If you can get alcohol-free gasoline that would be a better choice.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the gas additives, other than a few ounces of cleaner a couple of times a year.
Concur. Unless you're storing the bike for more than a few months -- or -- have limited access to quality gasoline from reputable stations, fuel additives for storage seem like a waste of money to me. I've parked cars for more than a year with no additives at all and had no problems with the fuel.

You don't want to leave the carbs full of fuel when you park the bike because it will evaporate and leave undesirable residue. And you want the tank as full as you can get it to reduce condensation issues. If you can get alcohol-free gasoline that would be a better choice.

So just a stupid question, do you just shut off the fuel and run the bike until it dies or do you drain the carbs some other way?
CT Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dakota
I am a fan of seafoam or stabil in the winter months, these will protect the carbs from getting gummed up and keep the gas from going stale. Plus I always keep the tank as full as I can. Hard to completely drain the carbs, there will always be some in there especially by just running it out of fuel. If you can ride it every 3-4 weeks than nothing is "needed" for the fuel.
Tim
Old 11-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I disagree with the tank size as i've put over 3.8 gallons in mine .. and i'm looking at a receipt here now that is 3.704 gallons

Ride Bell by docc30
My Bike Album http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee302/Macgyver0856/
Macgyver0856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Dakota
Quote:
Quote:

So just a stupid question, do you just shut off the fuel and run the bike until it dies or do you drain the carbs some other way?
That's what I'd do to drain the carbs -- but I don't drain the carbs because I ride during the winter whenever I can. I do keep the tank full (except for right now -- I'm down about 80 miles), though, and the bike is on a float charger whenever parked.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver0856
I disagree with the tank size as i've put over 3.8 gallons in mine .. and i'm looking at a receipt here now that is 3.704 gallons
You can overfill any tank.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver0856
You can overfill any tank.
Yeah, and I think those "Do not top off" nozzles can suck it back up as fast as it comes out! They're designed to recover gas fumes, but don't keep the end of the nozzle in the gas while you try to pump in "just a little bit more"!
VLX in DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement