VT700 Aftermarket Mods? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default VT700 Aftermarket Mods?

Anyone know where you can get aftermarket VT700 mods? I need to customize the old Shadow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Not many

Most companies don't make too many for the bike anymore as I found when looking for stuff for my son's '84. What exactly are you looking for? Have you tried ebay?

Just remember that wherever you go..... there you are!
bondo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'll be making light bars, crash/highway bars, and rear saddlebag/crash bars soon

Just getting all the tooling/drawing together
jchargu3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: VT700 Aftermarket Mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Zilla
Anyone know where you can get aftermarket VT700 mods? I need to customize the old Shadow!
more often than not you make them or have them made. What specifically do you want to do?

1977 XS650 _________________ 1988 VT800
lang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just looking to spice up the Shadow really, maybe some crash bars, a new air filter assembly, that sort of thing.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

K&N makes an air filter for the 83-85 and jchargu3 is gonna be making crash bars. You might want to talk to him about fitment though b/c I think the 86-88 frame is a little different than the 83-85.

Otherwise you're gonna want to look at ebay for the occasional crash bar that comes up or try to use a universal fit one from JC Whitney.

1977 XS650 _________________ 1988 VT800
lang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just put driving lights on my '83.

They're JC Whitney lights suspended by Kuryakyn fork clamps. The lights are 55w ea. operated by relay.
Rocksolid
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

The parts for older bikes are hard to find. I've even asked here on forum for backrests and didn't get a reply. I'm going to have to build my own (again!). Also, congrats, the older bikes rock and you'll love the power they have.

I've got the '83 750 and just having too much fun with it and I hope you are too.

To the guy with the 55 watt lights. Watch out you don't max your charging system. If you put two of them on, you are at 110 watts, and then you have to added in factory lights too--you are getting close to the edge. Further, I don't know what gauge of wire that is used on your charging system, but if you tap it too hard, you will fry it. Look into just in case please! Hate seeing a rider sidelined

Electric power is always the bane of motorcycles.

Me, I'm looking for a good heavy duty lumber rack and 2" ball mount for my shadow--tired of the damn 4x4.

regards

1985 Shadow 1100
a_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Fear not a_hippie, I've done my homework. P=I x E 110 w =12v x 9.17 A
I have the power available, a good AGM backing it up and a voltmeter on the bars under my watchful eye. They are much too bright for anything but occasional use. Thanks for the concern though. They are either both on or off, but are independent of the bikes lighting. A dedicated power wire runs straight to the battery.
Rocksolid

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_hippie
To the guy with the 55 watt lights. Watch out you don't max your charging system.
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.