Best used cruiser under $3k? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best used cruiser under $3k?

I am looking to buy a cruiser, thinking I will skip buying a V-Max and want a fairly modern 900cc plus bike. Love the Valk, but it's a bit high. This is for second bike, so I am not in a hurry. Already had a 1986 Shadow VT70C - would like some more modern technology and a larger displacement engine (want a V-Twin, unlike the inline 4 in my yammie.

Trying to spend less than $3k.

What do you think? Do any of you have suggestions as to what is the best cruiser or what I should be looking for in a cruiser as a 2nd bike? I want torque, I want comfort (forward controls OK, but would prefer closer to mid controls and highway pegs... Also would like to have a luggage rack so as to have a place fro my computer/briefcase while riding, and a trunk (or ability to add one) if at all possible (without having to machine it...)

Any suggestions?

-Dan

"All the gear in the world won't help stupidity." --- Oldbike.
Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

And you come to a Honda Shadow forum and ask what kind of cruiser to buy? What kind of answer do you expect to get?

Seriously, I'm seeing a fair number of early '90s VT1100s on Craigslist for around $3k. Might be worth looking into.

sanoke
Old 06-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I paid $1950 for a 1996 Shadol VLX with only 12k miles
Old 06-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

You can get a Nice 1100 ace for between 3 and 4 grand easy. I payed 4 grand for my 97 and I shopped, looked at about 8 bikes (new I wanted ace 1100) and found a mint condition low milage one in one of my two favorite colors. I have seen them for low as 3200 bucks once in a while. I love mine and am glad I got the 1100 instead of 750, I know now I would have wanted to change up. I love my bike, I took my time and got the right bike the first time, I love it.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

I just picked my Honda Shadow 1100 spirit. 2002, 5k miles for $2000. I really like it. I found it on craigslist after about 2 weeks of looking.
HondaMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaMike
I just picked my Honda Shadow 1100 spirit. 2002, 5k miles for $2000. I really like it. I found it on craigslist after about 2 weeks of looking.
Did you have him sign the title at gun point?

I bought my '99 1100 Spirit with 31K on it (very good conditition) for $3K in April and I thought I got a good deal.
Mikesbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

"would like some more modern technology" -- That's funny

A few years from now the Vulcan 900 will be *exactly* what you're looking for. For now, it's still a bit new to fit that price point. Shame... great little bike.

Vulcan 750 LTD <-- very cool bike
V-Star 1100 <-- very pedestrian, but seriously good bike
Sportster 1200 <-- no, seriously. I'd AIM for this, personally.
Buff the bank a little and look for a used Mean Streak
1987 SuperMagna <-- this vies for first/second choice with the Sportster 1200

(the '87 SuperMagna)

(the Vulcan 750)

Personally, after already owning a Shadow, I can't think of a Shadow I'd re-buy, except *maybe* the 750 Spirit, but that's an aesthetics thing more than a "great bike" thing (and yes, I know its' a great bike. They're ALL great bikes these days).
chornbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornbe
"would like some more modern technology" -- That's funny

A few years from now the Vulcan 900 will be *exactly* what you're looking for. For now, it's still a bit new to fit that price point. Shame... great little bike.

Vulcan 750 LTD <-- very cool bike
V-Star 1100 <-- very pedestrian, but seriously good bike
Sportster 1200 <-- no, seriously. I'd AIM for this, personally.
Buff the bank a little and look for a used Mean Streak
1987 SuperMagna <-- this vies for first/second choice with the Sportster 1200

(the '87 SuperMagna)

(the Vulcan 750)

Personally, after already owning a Shadow, I can't think of a Shadow I'd re-buy, except *maybe* the 750 Spirit, but that's an aesthetics thing more than a "great bike" thing (and yes, I know its' a great bike. They're ALL great bikes these days).
I like that Vulcan 900.... a bit out of my range. Read a review on the 2002 Mean Streak - compared it to the Yamaha Warrior, which I know nothing about, but apparently was well received.

As for the SuperMagna, isn't that the 700cc version of the biger V65? What makes it a better buy than its bigger brother? Although it looks pretty cool...

- Dan

"All the gear in the world won't help stupidity." --- Oldbike.
Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

The more I hear and read, the more convinced I am that the Vulcan 900 is one hell of a great (much more than $3k unfortunately) bike in many regards. Really too bad the model isn't a bit older to fit into your price range.

Have no fear, here's an alternative, and you can buy her brand new with less than 3k and still have a little extra for sundries.

I got you covered, hoss.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan K
As for the SuperMagna, isn't that the 700cc version of the biger V65? What makes it a better buy than its bigger brother? Although it looks pretty cool...

- Dan
That SuperMagna is slick indeed - looks good even by today's standards. I wonder how plentiful they are in the used market?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.