$64 paint stands / 'Convertible' paint booth.... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default $64 paint stands / 'Convertible' paint booth....

Hi Guys!!
Don't know if anyone would be interested in this but just thought I'd share it. I just finished fabricating my paint stands. About $64 and 4 1/2 hours and I have 2 fender stands and a tank stand. Thanks to Custompaintforum.com for their description in a post that I found! I did tweak the tank stand so I can adjust it to fit different size tanks. Not familiar with HD tanks so I'm thinking this might apply mostly to metric bikes?!?. Here's the break down on cost for the stands:
Roller stand - Big Lots $10 ea x 3
1" square steel tubing 4' - $10.47 (home depot)
3/4" square tubing 4' $11.00 (home depot)
Slotted 2" flat steel 6' $6.51 (home depot)
Screws $.98 (home depot)
Pipe insulation 1.38 (home depot)
plus tax 53.30
Fender stands are pretty self-explanatory...

fender sand with the padding in place

You can cut different length slotted steel pieces for different width fenders. Make sure your padding is cut a couple inches longer than the brace on each end.

On the tank stand I used the 1" square tubing for the 'spine' and made a T out of the 3/4 tubing and 1" tubing so the 3/4 end would slide into the 1" spine. I made 2 different sizes to fit a couple tanks I am going to paint.

I also used some of the slotted flat stock,bent in an "L" shape to use as a spacer on 2 sides of the 3/4 T leg so it fit better in the 1" spine.

I also added a peg at the tail of the spine so I could slip the tank mounting hole over it..added some extra holes for adjustability...

Here's the tank stand without the pads.

And all the stands loaded and ready to go...

I also built a 'convertible ' spray booth last year. Since garage space is always at a premium, I found a way to build a 8x12 booth that easily converts from booth to 'garage mode' so you can still have space for your 'stuff'. Here's a couple pics of it in 'garage mode' and 'paint mode'....

There's a bunch more pics of the stands and the booth here

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/bnemo/Painting/

Browse and feel free to 'borrow' anything you see ...idea wise I mean..
UPDATE!!

The tank stand wasn't as solid as I would like it to be ....so today at work I thought up a better idea. After work I went and got a piece of 1 1/4 black pipe, some springs and 2 3/4" electrical conduit splicers (all at home depot..)and came up with this instead....

Cut and welded the 1 1/4 black pipe on the end of the main 'spine'

Spring loaded the main sleeve...

Made some spring caps out of conduit splice....and tack welded a plug in the center..

Now the front mount is spring loaded and holds the tank much firmer!! I'll put some duct tape on the caps to keep them from scrtching the underside...

You'll also notice the small silver screw in the bottom center of the main sleeve. The screw extends up into the spring to keep it centered.
Don't know if anyone finds this useful ..but there ya go...copy at will

My Blog for GHC
Mad_bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: SW Georgia. Between Americus & Buena Vista - Ellaville and Plains

I`d borrow the compressor and th mini bike next please...

Thanks fer th details and pics...
I think I can do that...
"Captain D" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

sorry Captain...the compressor I gave to my father..
And the 'minibike' is actually this...
This was my first "Custom" paintjob...

a 'Super Mouse' that I stretched 8 inches.... but it IS for sale.... got to get rid of some of the stuff I never use... [/img]

My Blog for GHC
Old 07-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Very nice and well thought out.

I will have to bookmark this so when I get my shop built I can erect one of these.

Thanks for taking the time to post your work.

Chris

‎"There are two theories when it comes to arguing with women and neither one works "
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I do no painting but I still think it cool people can do this type of things. If I ever get a house with a garage I will need to teach myself to weld. It must be awsone to be able to invision something and build it. saves money too.

z
Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroOx
I do no painting but I still think it cool people can do this type of things. If I ever get a house with a garage I will need to teach myself to weld. It must be awsone to be able to invision something and build it. saves money too.

z
I am a Die and Mold designer by trade, but it is cool to come up with an idea and build it yourself! I just started welding so some of the welds aren't very pretty (Thank God for grinders!!!!) but your absolutely right on the saving money part... I've been doing some searching prior to making these stands...cheapest I could find were about $400!!!! So yeah..being the el'cheapo I am, I can invest some time and a LITTLE cash to get the job done

My Blog for GHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.