What's your most painful insect strike? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What's your most painful insect strike?

I only have about 1 square inch of skin showing when I ride (my adams apple), and sure enough a june bug smack me when I was going about 60mph...had me cussing in my helmet.
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to dwmitchell61 Send a message via Yahoo to dwmitchell61

Big old bumble bee right across the bridge of my glasses? Couldn't see a thing with all the yellow goo splattered across both lenses... Had to slow and pull over using the peripheral vision only!
Patriot Guard #145143
Standing for those who stood for us.
American Legion Rider Kenn-Pasco Chapter 34

1999 Honda Valkyrie F6 GL1500C
dwmitchell61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Took a hornet up the sleeve one time... not exactly a "strike" but it got my attention I'll tell you...

People must have thought I was crazy swinging around slapping at myself while I was going down the highway...
Old 08-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

European Hornet up a jacket sleeve.

wiki
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep! June bug! Going down a highway…no shirt(I was like 20 yrs.old at the time.)…doing around 80 mph. Damn thing hit me in the middle of my sternum. Hell…I thought someone had shot me. Managed to stay on the bike, pull over and hmmmm…no blood. Just goo, a hard brown shell and a welt the size of my fist.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

June bug, last Saturday on hwy H in St. Charles County, MO. Was doing about 70+ and it hit right on the bottom of my rib cage. When I got to my destination everyone said it looked like I got shot with a paintball gun (I had on a white t). Stung like hell and still have the welt.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

had my full face on and my eye glasses (visor up). Well, some bug, no idea what kind, managed to get under my glasses, smack dab in the eye. I couldn't see and my eye started watering instantly. Was coming to a stop too. I promptly shut the visor after that.
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to GrymLocke

riding the levy road back to sacramento from rio vista I took a wasp or honey bee to the bicep when I was wearing just the vest and a lt. blue longsleeve chambrey shirt. The bugger tangled in the shirt material and let me know (over and over) he was displeased....I never stopped and shucked off a peice of clothes that fast before in my whole life! and the people I was riding with where 20 miles down the road before they realized I wasn't with them !!!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bee also, in the inside of the arm, when I was young and living in SoCal, wearing a T-shirt and doing about 70 down a straight road. Lil' bee was going to the same party I was, I was just going a lot faster and rear-ended him with the inside of my arm at the elbow joint, right about where they take blood from (nice and soft). Thought I'd been shot, it scooped out a neat piece of flesh, and the stinger was buried so deep I didn't even know it was there until it became infected about a week later. Matter of fact that's the only way I know it was a bee, because the doctor who dug it out ID'd it as a bee stinger.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

I haven't been hit by a June bug (yet). I've only had a kamakazi bee fly into the sleeve of my leather jacket and meet his maker with part of the zipper. I picked pieces of him out afterwards...

The only thing I have had is small flies and mosquitos pelt my face when I tried riding without my racheting face shield.

The only painful thing I had is a small stick get kicked up by the car in front of me. I swerved out of the way, but still got nailed right in my shin by the stick.

Ride bell by Old Dad (thank you! )
ButchA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.