Demo Ride - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Demo Ride

I've wanted to try a different bike or two just to see what it's like, so a friend joined me and we rode off to a local Harley dealership for their Saturday "Tent Sale / Demo Rides".
My riding experience has been my 750 Spirit - 5 yrs on the same bike - so I was a bit nervous / curious as to what a more substantial bike would be like.

#1- Dyna Low Rider. Ok ride. Much more power than my shadow. Couldn't get used to the standard peg placement and the clutch had very little slip--let it out a little and it would grab and the bike would take off. Not the end of the world, just something to get used to.

#2- Nightster - Will never get on one again. Couldn't get off of this quick enough. Ran rough, rode rough, shifted rough. Not my cup of tea.

#3- Fat Boy - my first experience with a "big" bike. I liked it. The grabby clutch took some getting used to again but after a few stops / starts it was ok. Not as nimble as I am used to but it was fun to ride. Nice being on something that didn't get pushed around by the wind or bumps in the road.

#4- Street Glide - I have to admit I was intimidated by the size / wt of this thing.....like I said, 5 years on the 750. By now I'm used to the clutch feel and the Fat Boy was a fair intoduction to the heavier bike. This thing rode like a cadillac and even with the "smaller" engine (96ci) it had gobs of power, felt very smooth and I was shocked with how easy it was to handle, even in the lot at slower speeds. I took the long way around in the lot so I could make several 90' right and left turns and while I am no Jerry Palladino, I was suprised how well I could handle this bike considering it was my first time on a big bike. It wasn't the prettiest but I thought I would have had to duck walk it around or I would have wobbled through a turn or two, but that was not the case. LOVED IT - LOVED IT - LOVED IT!!! Was bummed out to have to take it back so soon.
This is what I'll rent when I use the card I got ftom the wife. I can't wait.
My friend said he could tell by my face when we stopped that I loved the bike.....and did I ever. Now I have the fever.

Off to get my Powerball tickets....
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm waiting on shaftdrives before I take the leap.....to HD.......!

08 SPIRIT VT750C2
N5SMA
53Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

One of these days I am just gonna have to try to Electra glide. Thanks for the write up on the bikes. Now I know which ones not to waste my time on.
Bigguy2x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

good to see a future Street Glide owner

President, V-Twin Cruisers MC Springfield Ohio Chapter
Patriot Guard Rider 163818
Ride bell by Kara
schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Gunner
I'm waiting on shaftdrives before I take the leap.....to HD.......!
and why would that be??

have you ever drove a belt drive?

75 Yamaha XS650 Hardtail Bobber (sweet)

Parts to built more in the garage
Pelski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the Low Rider with mid-controls and LOVE it but I have shorter legs so for me it's perfect. That said, I will have mid-controls on any bike I own from now on because of comfort AND control.

And speaking of control, HD's are one of the easiest bikes to ride that I have ever ridden which is why I sold my Sabre and got the Sporty.

Life is not "either, or" - Life is "both, and"

Riding for the Sun!
hunnus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

The street glide is my ultimate dream bike.........I believe if i had the money to buy any bike i wanted that would be it.

2007 vtx 1300
2002 Shadow Ace, Gone but not forgotten
Robert
jrh_67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

About a month from now a HD dealer nearby is having demo day. Can't wait. Only interested in the Heritage Classic and an E-glide, want to see what they are all about.

A neighbor of mine had for sale all summer, and just sold this past week, an 04 E-glide standard. 18,000 miles and SE mufflers (sounded great!), but nothing else after that. Told me he would take $11,000. Sort of kicking myself for not taking it. If he would have let me test ride it, I know I would have caved and bought it

Still it is hard to sell my bike for $3500, spend $11k, and buy another $1-2k too in accessories I wanted
Markymannn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.