about how many miles to a tank vlx 600 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default about how many miles to a tank vlx 600

about how many miles should i get out of a full tank of gas on the 600? i try to hit the station at the 130mile trip point don't want the run out.
EXTREMEG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Take your Gallons and divide them into the miles, do this ten times to get a average and don't figure in the reserve then you'll know for sure and won't be guessing.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW 1100T
Take your Gallons and divide them into the miles, do this ten times to get a average and don't figure in the reserve then you'll know for sure and won't be guessing.
should the reserve be set to off for riding?
Old 10-05-2008, 04:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

-----------------------------------------------------
Yes, otherwise when you run out of gas you really are out of gas. The reason it took some time to restart the last time is that the shut off is vacuum controlled and will only let gas in when there is a vacuum so you have to hit the starter quite a bit, trick is is to NOT have to do that.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Maggiethecat

I get appox. 100 without hitting reserve. But it depends on how hot I ride.

Totaled on 4/27/10

If you're going through Hell - keep going!
Sir Winston Churchill

2000 VLX600
I need MORE CHROME!
Maggiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

I average 120 to 130 miles before hitting the reserve.
MLR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREMEG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW 1100T
NO!!!!!

On the VLX, the fuel selector knob has three settings: ON / OFF / RES

When OFF is facing up, there is no fuel flowing through the petcock, and the engine will not start or run.

You can run an entire tank through the petcock when in the reserve (RES) setting. Since the VLX only has a 2.9 gallon tank including the .9 gallon reserve, you need to know your average fuel mileage for your typical riding environments. Interstate speeds will reduce your mileage significantly compared to the lower speeds often found on the back roads.

For example, if you average 60 MPG, you can expect to travel no more than 174 miles (2.9*60) on a full tank of fuel. Of course that's in ideal conditions not real life. Way too many variations in actual riding conditions to plan on that distance. The most I ever got on ours was 168 miles from full tank to stranded-on-the-side-of-the-road-bone-dry.

Here's an easy way to plan fuel stops with the VLX: (Caution, it involves public math!!!)
1. Fill the tank and place the petcock switch to ON.
2. Zero out the odometer.
3. Ride your heart out!
4. When the engine starts to sputter, usually between 100 - 120 miles, switch to RES and note the odometer reading.
5. Divide the current odometer reading in half in your head.
6. Add your result to the current odometer reading, minus about 10 miles for cushion.
7. Get more fuel before that time!

This will help you figure out the max you can expect if nothing changes in your riding style and conditions. Obviously, start looking for a fuel stop when your comfort level dictates. On our VLX, about 2 1/2 hours buzzing along in the saddle was about the max we could stand anyway.

CB

01 Spirit 1100
Link to the Forum Rules
CleoBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: about how many miles to a tank vlx 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREMEG
about how many miles should i get out of a full tank of gas on the 600? i try to hit the station at the 130mile trip point don't want the run out.
94 VLX 600...57-60 mpg. Neighborhood at 35-40 and highway at 55-60. Only had it 3 mos...had 19,500 miles and Cobra Straight pipes...pops on deceleration. Drilled out the caps on the idle mix screws and have been backing out to improve poping.

Stock sprockets. Near 120 miles I get ready to go to Reserve.

One good note I saw was to move the key cover on the fuel cap when you switch to Reserve as a reminder.

I use 2 oz of Seafoam fairly often per full tank.

Charlie S - War Eagle!
06 VT 750 Shadow Spirit
94 VT 600C VLX (Donated to Sis-in-Law 4-23-10)
Concerned about gun control...use Both hands.
86 Suzuki Intruder 700
Landlrd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

ok thanks i'm just trying to get my head around this 2.9 gallon tank. my sport bike had a 4gallon so it's throwing me off. thinking i'm stopping for gas so often.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

I start looking for gas at 100 miles. I hit reserve consistently between 110-120, except on an extended (non-slab) cruise where my mileage is a little better.
I have never run it all the way out (yet). The farthest I ever took it was 150 miles, and it took 2.7 to fill it --- as close to walking as I want to get.
I ride on "ON" and switch when it sputters.
Like most people I am plenty ready to get off for a few minutes by the time the VLX needs a drink.
-Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.