Honda Shadow Forums banner

Did any of you ride mopeds before you were motorcycle legal?

8K views 39 replies 34 participants last post by  dwmitchell61 
#1 ·
and if you did, let's see it or one like it.

I rode a Pacer Supersport.
Mine was silver. Put almost 30K on it in between 79 and 81 :lol:
Here's a pic of one I just pulled up:

See less See more
#27 ·
I traded something for a Cushman 3 wheeled delivery vehicle in about 1960, and that was my very first ...... Burned oil like it was a 2 cycle..
Single cylendar Two speeds forward, one reverse... 2 wheels in front with large box... Had steering wheel..... I gave it away.....
Next was a basket case Whizzer, that had a bum magneto... which I didn't find out till it was all put together...
Finally I got a 1962 Honda Mini-Dream 150.... in 1962....
got my Permit in 1963...

#30 ·
We're just so politically correct and over protective these days that our sons won't have the opportunity to have a moped before a motorcycle. I'm envious that you all had so much fun at such a young age.

Here in Ontario to ride a moped (50ccs and pedals) you need to be 16, wear a motorcycle helmet, require a 3 tiered limited speed motorcycle license, license plate and insurance, the exact same requirements as a motorcycle. Therefore kids need to wait later, skip the slower moped, and either go to a motorcycle or forget about 2 wheels.

I have hope that e-bikes will give my kids the same experience, but know it will not be as cool. They go a max of 32kph/20mph. They do not need a license nor insurance.

#33 ·
TorontoBoy said:
We're just so politically correct and over protective these days that our sons won't have the opportunity to have a moped before a motorcycle. I'm envious that you all had so much fun at such a young age.

Here in Ontario to ride a moped (50ccs and pedals) you need to be 16, wear a motorcycle helmet, require a 3 tiered limited speed motorcycle license, license plate and insurance, the exact same requirements as a motorcycle. Therefore kids need to wait later, skip the slower moped, and either go to a motorcycle or forget about 2 wheels.

I have hope that e-bikes will give my kids the same experience, but know it will not be as cool. They go a max of 32kph/20mph. They do not need a license nor insurance.
Same as Michigan. My neighbor just paid theDistrict Court $150 for allowing her son to ride his moped in our neighborhood and they are waiting on their court date for the mandatory court appearance with their 15 year old son for his charges of driving without a license.

#35 ·
I bought a brand new Allstate Moped (made by Pusch) and sold in the local Sears and Roebucks store for $87 when I was 12. That was 1958 and no one even thought of it as illegal here in Indiana. I drove that little 2 speed bike all over town until I was old enough for a beginner's permit at 15 1/2 years old.

#36 ·
Suzuki FA50 and Sparta!

When I was 13-14, I was the COOLEST. Big "Sam Malone" (Cheers) hair, open, faded candy-stripe/beach shirt - necklace - bare chest exposing my hairless 110 lbs of ribs. That was on a BEAUTIFUL CHROME and brown SPARTA that LOOKED JUST LIKE A Motorcycle!! Ruined it by JUMPING IT about 6 feet off the ground - winding the tire up to 20,000 RPMs "in Flight" (GOING OVER MY FRIEND RICHIE), and landing DEAD STOPPED. All sorts of parts kept moving - except the tire. That's what happens when you go from 20 to zero upon landing.

http://figsblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/moped2.jpg

When I borrowed some chics' Kawa 400 for the moc. exam, I bought an FA50 and rented it out for test-takers.

http://www.jacksscootershop.com/images/Suzuki_50_80/83_FA50_shuttle.jpg

#39 ·
That's how I learned to ride a motorcycle...an Allstate Moped back in the early 60's. It was a used one my dad bought us and had some type of problem....it would get us several miles away from home and then when you tried to shift out of 1st the engine would lug down and almost die on you and you had to peddle that thing back home....they do not peddle as easily as a bicycle.

#40 ·
Right from a minibike (stolen from us by some neighbor kids) to this one here, bought it new at 11 years of age with paper route proceeds in 1972...

YOU MEET THE NICEST PEOPLE ON A HONDA!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.