Honda CM200T? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jcpokinatcha
Default Honda CM200T?

Any one had any experience with the old CM200T Twinstar circa 1980?

i might have the option of picking one up (hasnt run in 10 years)

would be a starter bike for the wife once restoration is complete.. if i get it.

anyone have any info.. would i be wasting my time.. or would it be a good stronf fun little bike like the rest of the honda family

thanks

-Jeremy

Just purchased: 1981 CB750C
SOLD: 1984 VT750C
CMC 007 - #7152
jcpokinatcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

My wife learned to ride on a 1981 CM200T. What a fun little bike that was! I regret selling it. Kick and electric start. Strong little engine. 4 speed tranny instead of a 5, which was great for learning, but not so good for higher speeds. Topped out at about 60. I swapped the 15T front sprocket for a 16, which is the biggest you can fit in the engine case, and that brought the top end to almost 70 without any real appreciable loss in low-end torque.

I should have kept that bike after my wife got her license. I could have put some knobbies on it and it would have made a great trail bike.

I had the whole thing apart, so if you have any questions, let me know.

Oh, FYI, my wife is 5'3". I am 5'9" and although the bike was small for me, it was still a lot of fun riding. You could lean it enough to scrape the pegs in your own driveway. What a fun bike. I took it on the interstate once, but it doesn't weight enough to contend with the wind blast from the big rigs. I'll advise against that maneuver.

The engine doesn't have an oil filter, just like the modern Honda Rebels, so change the oil every 1000 miles.

I bought mine for $380 in 2003, and sold it for $790 in 2006, having put about 6k on the clock. Not a bad ROI.

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jcpokinatcha

what do you think would be a reasonable price for a CM200T?

i think its a 1981 or something near there
it hasnt run in many years..
and it will likely need some work..

i figure i'd offer the guy $200?

would that be reasonable?

-Jeremy

Just purchased: 1981 CB750C
SOLD: 1984 VT750C
CMC 007 - #7152
jcpokinatcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Those old Honda engines were just about indestructable. As long as it was running when they parked it, and didn't park it cause it didn't run. I don't know about that specific model but my experience with old Hondas are that you can still get the engine parts for them but not tanks, or body panel parts. So, depending on the condition and how much that bothers you plan on not being able to buy a new tank or side covers at least.

I'd say $200.00 would be a good starting point, tho I would be inclined to let the seller make the opening price and go from there.

I've seen some old Hondas fire up with a new battery after many years of sitting idle and not put away properly. Worth a shot, tho to get it running right plan on cleaning the carbs at minimum.
Wstar425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

At $200, I can't imagine that you'd lose very much even if it was totally shot. You could probably part it out to people trying to rebuild their bikes.

theantidj.net
violette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

You can always used www.kbb.com and click on the "motorcycle" section. KBB says $835 retail, but maybe since it hasn't run in 10 (?) years that area is wide open.
Homey237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement