improving passenger comfort? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default improving passenger comfort?

Ok, first a little info -- I've got an '06 VLX 600 Deluxe and it's bone stock. My wife is 5'11" and she is having comfort issues on the rear pillion seat. Her knees and butt start hurting after about 15 minutes of riding. Right now an after market seat (ie a mustang seat) is not an option because the cost is not feasible currently...

What I'm figuring needs to be done is to either raise the pillion seat some, lower the passenger pegs, or a combination of both. And I was curious if anyone has any improved comfort with adding a pad to the pillion pad since that is the only way to improve the comfort unless adding springs between the rear pillion seat and the fender bolts will have a little extra comfort (anyone ever try this?). Is there a stock pillion on another motorcycle that could be gotten cheaply that would be more comfortable?

Mostly she will ride with me on the weekend for quick jaunts around town and currently no long trips. Also, she's not interested in getting her own motorcycle so the only option is riding 2up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a couple of thoughts that may help.

Keep an eye on the for-sale boards on this forum. Sometimes the aftermarket seats get offered at some pretty good prices. Also, keep your eye on Craigslist. You never know what might pop up.

In the mean time, some guys use a canoeing seat (think, simple, flat, cheap) as a supplementary pad. I believe it is an air-bladder model. Can't remember the manufacturer. Do some searching on here, I'm sure you'll see it mentioned.

Replacing the passenger pegs with footboards might help too. I'm not sure if I've seen any that allow the passenger peg to be lowered though.

Another thought is to have your wife take a couple of advil or tylenol or something before the ride starts. Seriously, pain relief can come in many forms.

Good luck and ride safely

Jardine slip-ons
K&N filter
New Memphis Slims and lowers
Willie & Max saddlebags
Kury ISO grips
Mustang Seat
jwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

waynesvillecycle.com

they have passenger peg extensions... i think 4 inch down and 3 inches out (to miss the exhaust pipes) a little over $100

there are some other sites around that offer the same.. just do some google searches... i am comtemplating getting some for my bike as my fiance is 5'11" and her knees and hips begin to hurt after about 45 minutes. hope that helps

2000 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

crimsonblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

While riding one weekend we talked to a woman that sat on one of these on the back of a cruiser. She loved it.

http://www.buttybuddy.com/what_is_butty_buddy.asp

Stratoliner
Shadow Spirit VT1100
Honda 919/CB900F
Kawasaki ZR7S
Honda CB360

VFW, Post 2391
Patriot Guard Rider #92075
Scuba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

In a sense lucky on this, my wife has no interest, so I eventually broke in my stock seat, don't have to worry about passenger comfort,,heck, even took off my passenger pegs.

good luck in your search.,, 5'11",,

mark
Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Check out this website.

http://www.meancitycycles.com/

They do seat modifications. Seems reasonably priced too. Planning on having mine done if I ever get thru spending money getting my daughter into college.
Schattenreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

5' 11"! She doesn't need pegs, her legs should be wrapped around your waist to hold on. Need more cushion for the seat - I suggest milk shakes, cheaper than a Mustang seat and the comfort is interchageable between bike, cage, and home.

"If you're not on at least one watch list then you're not really living"

1992 VT1100C
Thayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

First try making a modification on the stock seat and see if she likes it.
Remove the rear seat pad. Take off the vinyl cover. Cut the stock foam off with a bread knife (electric knife works well too) so you have just a thin layer left on the seat pan. Get a small piece of memory foam (FLeet farm store sell them for various applicatios (car seats, back supports, etc.)
Then you will need to use a 4" die grinder to shape the foam so it looks as close to it looked before. Then put the vinyl back on.
It will be a hell of alot better now!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

On one bike (stock seat) the wife says she feels like she been raped by a lawnmower after a hour, and has always complained.

On other bike (tour seat) we have done a 8 hour ride only stopping for gas (and a leak), and right back on the road. After 8 hours, come to think of it, she never mentioned anything about discomfort. We were so hungry then too. I also had replaced the stock pegs to give her boot something to plant on. Keeps her happy so she don't plant her boot in me
Gnuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

I also added a small pair of floorboards on the back for her to be able to move her feet around a bit and not get leg cramps. And a wider backrest pad seems to make her happy too.