Shadow Phantom - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shadow Phantom

Greetings to all. I read a lot, but don't post much...don't currently own a Honda...

I've taken a real liking to the Shadow Phantom, but not sure it will work for me. I'm not a small guy...6-00, 275, 30" inch inseam...but I ride solo all the time. Rides are mostly local in the hills and mountains near here, with occasional short to medium freeway runs. May do some limited touring in the future, sol will fit a shield and some bags on it.

Clue me in...will this bike work for me? Will I be able to get out of my own way with it?

Thanks in advance for your responses and your help!

Bob
jinglebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to BugMagnet Send a message via Yahoo to BugMagnet

I'm 5' 10" with 32 inch inseam. I put forward controls on my 98 Shadow ACE and that eliminated the cramped leg feeling i was getting. The bike fits me perfectly.

I only weight 180 though. I have my suspension set on 3 and it doesn't bottom out or anything.

A very fun bike to ride and they are extremely reliable.
BugMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 02:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm 5' 11" and weigh 195 lbs. I own a 2008 Shadow Spirit 750, which is the same frame/size etc. as the Phantom. After almost two years riding it I can tell you that honestly I feel cramped, and it does not have enough power. If I'm feeling that way I can only imagine it would be worse for you.

To remedy things I recently bought a used 2007 Shadow Sabre 1100. Honestly this is the bike I should have bought in the first place. I'm not saying that's what you should do. Everyone is different, so take it for what it's worth.
Lantesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 03:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

30 inch inseam you should be comfortable. I have a 32 inch+ and it is about as tight as I would think most people would want to be. I think 34 would be a problem.

I am 230+ pounds and losing weight.

I find the bike to have plenty of power, I ride much like it sounds you will, mostly secondary roads a bit of highway and for me some interstate travel but no overnight/long trips. (All regional northeast area.)

Other than inseam length everything else is so personal a choice.

I might feel differently about the power situation in a couple of years but I sort of doubt it. I am more into seeing the world than riding as fast as I can. (Some of that might be age mellowing me out. But I find I like mellow.)

Your mileage may vary...
Eric
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I love my phantom although I'm 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam. I have taken it on the expressway a little. When riding at 70 mph it still has enough zip left over to get you out of trouble. You will have to sit on a few different bikes to see what feels best.

2010 Shadow Phantom
cruiser2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
"D"

I have an 09 Spirit 750, which is basically the same bike as the Phantom as stated earlier.

I am 5'11" and 210 lbs. with a 31" inseam. To be honest, I would like the controls just a bit further forward. Its not bad, I'd just like to stretch my legs out a bit. May go with some hiway pegs.

As far as power goes, it is plenty powerful for me. I have done a bit of interstate riding and 70-80 mph is no problem. Hills have been no problem either. Even when riding 2-up with the wife (350 lb. range), just a twist of the wrist and away we go!

I also am planning to add some bags to mine. Windshield is a major plus for comfortable, bug free riding. My biggest complaint right now is the seat. After 50-60 miles, my butt goes numb. Definitely a Mustang Tourer in the future!!

'09 Spirit 750
Ride Bell by ELDogStar
"D" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D
After 50-60 miles, my butt goes numb. Definitely a Mustang Tourer in the future!!
I so want a Mustang Seat as well!

Eric
Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Enjoy mine immensely. Only HP issue for me is that on the freeway, don't be afraid to downshift looking for a little more power.

Author of "Motorcycles, Life and..." & "The Elemental Motorcyclist"

http://www.HowzitDoneCrash.com
CaptCrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah the first mod I did on my 750 was a Mustang seat. That was money well spent. I went from 45 minutes max ride time to no problems at all. Now I need one for my 1100.
Lantesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

any one know stock cable lengths on here? or were I can get black braided cables for my Honda pantom?
iceman232623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.