4 speed vs. 5 speed in 1100 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 4 speed vs. 5 speed in 1100

I've never been on a motorcycle without a 5 speed however I am looking at an older shadow 1100 with a 4 speed. Does it make much of a difference having a 4 speed instead of a 5 speed?
swirvinup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes. Or no. Depending on who you ask.

markspike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Probab;y matters most at Freeway speeds, but the engines thenselves can usually handle the higher RPMS

2003 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

'
MidnightToker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

From what I have read the 4 speed and 5 speed Shadows have the same top gear, 5th on the 5 speed is the same ratio as 4th on the 4 speed, there is just less gap between the gears on the five speed. So on highways they should cruise the same but on back roads and such the five speed would have the advantage with the extra "in between" gear.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

...'96 is a 4 speed...what I like is at 70 mph I have plenty of torque to throttle up and jump to 85 in seconds without having to downshift...bad end is between 35 and 45 cruising there is a lot of shifting between 3 and 4....

bedhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have not had a 4 speed Shadow, but when I was researching them that is the one thing that kept coming up, to get a 5 speed if possible.

Now, if the top gear is the same, then running down the highway would not be an issue. It kind of comes down to where and how you ride, if you do a lot of puttering around at 35-45 maybe it would bother you. It must work out not too badly, they sold a bunch of them with 4 speeds, right?

I suspect it is like most things. If you have not had a 5 speed, you won't miss it. IF you HAVE had a 5 speed in the past, you may not like the four speed? just guessing really and something to think about.
Wstar425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markspike
Yes. Or no. Depending on who you ask.
Ladies and gentlemen.....let me introduce you to our next great upcoming politician......

I have a 4 speed shadow and a five speed kawasaki.......like em both.....I do find that after riding my kaw that I tend to shift too fast on the shadow thus having to downshift a lot to find the right gear to be in.......goofy huh???...youd think with four gears it would be easy to avoid shifting......but I still love the bike....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedhead
...'96 is a 4 speed...what I like is at 70 mph I have plenty of torque to throttle up and jump to 85 in seconds without having to downshift...bad end is between 35 and 45 cruising there is a lot of shifting between 3 and 4....
for sure I love that......the shadow is mean when up in speed and you don't have to shift.

96-VT1100C (other bike is an '81 kaw KZ)- I am not required to know everything....I am only required to understand what I know...
Lou Pietrandrea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have the 4-speed on my '96 1100 and absolutely love it. Less shifting is always a plus and it cruises at 80+ all day long without over working the engine. There is a larger gap between 3rd and 4th, so you just need to rev it a bit higher before shifting into 4th is all, no big deal. Less parts means less to go wrong I figure. I have 40,000 miles on mine without any transmission issues.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedhead
Hey All™,
If you're not going at least 45, don't even think of shifting into 4th gear, UNLESS you're going downhill.

1989 VT1100C
GlenRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to AlexM

I switch to 3rd at about 30-35 mph, and to 4th at 55-60 mph.
Do not miss 5th at all.

1996 VT1100C
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.