1990 Honda Shadow VT1100 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1990 Honda Shadow VT1100

I'm looking at buying a wrecked 1990 Shadow VT1100 and I need some info. It's on craigslist in Hampton, VA. The front and rear wheels are bent, it's missing the seat and battery and looks like the fenders need replacing. The guy says the engine starts and runs well. My questions are...

1. Are parts hard to find for these?
2. What parts are interchangable?
3. The stock wheels are ugly, can I get some wire spoke wheels? If so, what other bikes wheels will fit?
4. Is it worth fixing it to run it or is 1990 a bad year for these Shadows?

I've just finished rebuilding a 2002 Honda CBR 954rr (rebuilt engine, forks, etc...) and I want a cruiser now. I like riding my dad's vstar1100, but I think i'd prefer a shadow with a batwing fairing. Any other bikes I should consider which are similar? I want to buy cheap and spend time fixing it up, searching for the right parts, etc.

Thanks in advance!
smittypig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think there are plenty of older Shadows out there that aren't wrecked. I personally wouldn't touch a wrecked bike unless you're more interested in the project than riding.

And then it better be dirt cheap, especially if you can't hear it running before you bring it home.

Croz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would be able to hear it run when I pick it up. He is asking $575 for it, but I bet he'd take $400. I do like the fixing up process, but then I want to ride it after I'm done. I think maybe I'll keep looking. I don't like the fact that I'd have to replace both wheels. Those are big dollar items on a rebuild.
smittypig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Snag it for 400 and go find another 1000 dollar bike and put the two together. You'll never ever come out ahead even if it was free.

T.C.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanthonyii
Snag it for 400 and go find another 1000 dollar bike and put the two together. You'll never ever come out ahead even if it was free.

T.C.
TC is on to something here. So this bike runs, but has busted up wheels. If you can grab a second non-running bike for a cheap price you can make one bike out of the two. Then sell off whatever left over parts you can on Craigslist or Ebay to make some of the money back. That's your best bet.
Lantesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you need, I'm here in Va beach, I can go take a look and see what type of price he is willing to come down to and give ya a feel of the deal before you come out here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement