National Cycle vs Memphis Shades Windshield - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default National Cycle vs Memphis Shades Windshield

So, I called up my local dealer to ask about prices for a Memphis Shades windshield. He told me that they recommend National Cycle over MS. I asked why and he said:

1) MS is thicker b/c it's plexiglass, which will distort vision
2) Since NC is thiner and made of a different material (forget what it is called), it is flexible and more forgiving if something hits it.

Any opinions on these brands?
beefeater267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Definitely two different materials lexan vs plexiglass. I believe there are some advantages to lexan

HOWEVER, you don't look through a properly mounted windshield you look over it (so the dealer is probably getting more profit out of the National) so distortion is almost irrelevant - not that I have any with my MS>

Here is my story and I am sticking to it.

When I bought my bike it had a National on it and it looked like $hit. I suspect the previous owner didn't clean it with the correct fluids - it was orange peel looking so no buffing would work it out.

I ordered a MS fats and attached it to the National mounts - no issues, no scratches, and MS has the absolute BEST HANDS DOWN no one even close customer service.
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbjr
Definitely two different materials lexan vs plexiglass. I believe there are some advantages to lexan

HOWEVER, you don't look through a properly mounted windshield you look over it (so the dealer is probably getting more profit out of the National) so distortion is almost irrelevant - not that I have any with my MS>

Here is my story and I am sticking to it.

When I bought my bike it had a National on it and it looked like $hit. I suspect the previous owner didn't clean it with the correct fluids - it was orange peel looking so no buffing would work it out.

I ordered a MS fats and attached it to the National mounts - no issues, no scratches, and MS has the absolute BEST HANDS DOWN no one even close customer service.
I don't know about MS but NC has treated me right. Lost hardware for my shield and backrest and NC sent me replacements free and fixed by quick release for my backrest while I waited(they are only a few miled from me). I don't know what was wrong with yout shield but I doubt it was anything that NC did wrong and from what I've seen of other makes of shields, I'm glad I have the NC. It's held up great and is 6 tears old.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

it seems to be a common misunderstanding that people think they will look through a windshield.

i have a non-name brand shield that looks nice, works well, and doesn;t cost an arm and a leg. once I got it set up just right, it's comes off or goes back on in less than a minute. I only use mine in the cooler months.

2003 Yamaha FZ1 (gen1) "Lisbeth"
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C - SOLD

::: I'M A DENIM DEMON :::
halouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Even though you shouldn't look through a windshield some people like that. I don't but that's just the way it is.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either.

2005 Honda VTX1300R
2004 Honda Aero 750--Sold March 2011
nuncles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

NC has some pretty convincing vids on YouTube showing people smacking their windshields with a variety of weapons (bats, hammers etc) and they don't break. They do they same with other brands made out of the acrylic materials and they shatter. Granted, you buy a windshield primarily for wind and bugs but it's a nice feeling to think if a rock comes off a truck in front of you, the NC would stop it (in theory). With that being said, I will probably buy a MS because of the price! There... devil's advocate!

2007 Shadow Spirit VT1100C "Silver Bullet"
Ride bell courtesy of my wife.
Rainsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have a NC Plexistar 2.

Its a little bigger than a normal cruiser style windshield and made of acrylic. I do look through it and like it that way. I can crane myself up to look over it if necessary. YMMV

Its a nice shield and does a good job keeping a lot of the wind and most of the bugs off.

I agree the lexan impact resistance does look like a nice safety addition if available. Acrylic's big advantage is clairity when looking through it.

Unless someone has something convincing aginst Memphis Shades, I'd say pick the style/price (of either brand) you like best and go for it.

Gunnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: National Cycle vs Memphis Shades Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefeater267
So, I called up my local dealer to ask about prices for a Memphis Shades windshield. He told me that they recommend National Cycle over MS. I asked why and he said:

1) MS is thicker b/c it's plexiglass, which will distort vision
2) Since NC is thiner and made of a different material (forget what it is called), it is flexible and more forgiving if something hits it.

Any opinions on these brands?
I had a Memphis Fats on my 05 Spirit 750, and liked it just fine.

I have the stock windshield on my Tourer, but I'm thinking about getting the Clearview shield with the vent. Anyone have any experience with these?

http://clearviewshields.com/shop/index.php

EZ Rider 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

My first windshield was a National Cycle brand and it ended up having spider web cracked around all the mounting bolts. Since I've installed a Memphis Shades, I've had no problems with them (on both bikes now)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I put a NC Switchblade on my Sabre and it was flimsier than the MS Fats on my Valk. I like the MS because it has a tint in the Solar model which helps with the glare on the road. My FJR has a NC on it and I have no complaints. I don't think that you could go wrong with either brand.
2006 Sabre - SOLD

highcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement