Honda Shadow Forums banner

shock adjustment

7K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Eldorado 
#1 ·
i have a 05 honda shadow/aero. my shocks are currently set at setting #2 (settings run from #1 - #5). i would like to try a "4" setting. owner's manuel indicates i need a "pin spanner" to make the adjustment. i believe a pin spanner is a specialized wrench. should i take the bike to the dealer to do this, or buy a "spanner" to do myself? if anyone has any experience along these lines, feedback appreciated. ps i want to try the higher setting to see how it affects my ride, as usually am over 210 lbs. when carrying gear, saddlebag stuff, etc. thanks.

#2 ·
If your lucky you can do it with 2 people and no wrench have someone lift up on the back of the bike while you try to spin the lower half of the shock. Even with the wrench you should still have someone lift up the back of the bike. I forced one once and broke it luckly it was a "common problem" covered under warrenty.

#5 ·
I`ve been lucky enough to just grab aholdt of the shock adjuster with my hand, pull up towards the top of the spring whilst turning it, it came right along without having to break out the spanner from the tool kit behind the sidecover...
NEVER go from 5 to 1 though...go in steps 5-4-3-2-1

I was fortunate enough to have the toolkit come with my bike...

Good luck on this adjustment...

#8 ·
rockyjr said:
i have a 05 honda shadow/aero. my shocks are currently set at setting #2 (settings run from #1 - #5). i would like to try a "4" setting. owner's manuel indicates i need a "pin spanner" to make the adjustment. i believe a pin spanner is a specialized wrench. should i take the bike to the dealer to do this, or buy a "spanner" to do myself? if anyone has any experience along these lines, feedback appreciated. ps i want to try the higher setting to see how it affects my ride, as usually am over 210 lbs. when carrying gear, saddlebag stuff, etc. thanks.
Take a look here, it's #3 that you are looking for, worthwhile having....
http://www.hondapartsnation.com/pag...7/Honda.aspx?gclid=CJuestab0aMCFRpinAodnS6N8Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.