Honda Shadow Forums banner

A Phantom Ramble

24K views 83 replies 33 participants last post by  Siyeh 
#1 · (Edited)
My wife allows me to go on one long ride per year. I live for my long bike trips. This year I went solo, last year my Son and I went to Hyder Alaska. So, I called my two brothers who live near Seattle and asked if I could use their showers. They said sure cmon out. I cant write or spell a lick but I can sure post up some pictures from my ride. You guys and gals on this fine forum like to view pics it seems.

My trip lasted 21 days. 3 nights motel, 5 nights staying at brothers, the rest stealth camping. Stealth meaning free. I am not a rich man so to do these trips I cant motel much, no way ray.

My states?
Wis Iowa Neb CO WY Utah Idaho Oregon Wash Montana South Dakota Minn
My route

See less See more
#2 ·
I logged a little over 7000 miles total. My bike is a 2011 Honda Shadow Phantom. I have it set up to tour and it did very well with only one hiccup.
All my gear with 3 liters of water and 1 liter of fuel in a MSR weighed 49 lbs. It fit in a MotoFizz seat bag, a TBag sissybar bar bag, and Honda line throw over saddlebags.

The Phantom has bar risers, a Mustang wide touring seat with driver backrest, Madco poor mans cruise control, Windvest windscreen, Cobra floorboards, and Cobra rack and Pass backrest. Like I said, it toured very well for me and was very comfortable.

Day 1 left Evansville WI 7am did 827 miles free camped right behind a Cabelas in Sydney Nebraska

It was free because the office was closed and 30 Boy Scouts from Kansas let me camp next to them in an unused site the lady MADE them pay for. One of the little guys even gave me the shower code so to top it off I even scored a FREE shower. hehehehehehe

#3 ·
So, I have a thing for mountains. That's why I always just rocket ship across the Plains. I made my way into Wyoming on day 2. Hy 210 from Cheyenne to Laramie got me off the slab and into some twisties. It was so dry out there these signs were all over.

I did a little walking here but did not find any bombs

Mountains and snow at last

The owner of this old Buick was retired Army.
"I only get her out on Sunday's"

Tons of snow at Snowy Pass on Hy 130 great twisty road

#6 · (Edited)
I cant remember where I was but I had to pee. I stopped the bike and let er rip and an elk calf was laying about 50 feet away. Crap! I am half way thru a stream of urine, there sits a baby elk calf and my cam is 4 feet away sitting on my seat. I cut it off short grabbed the cam and snapped a pic just as he jumped up bawling his fool head off. sorry there was a calf here i swear it

Missed him. But then mama must of heard him bawl because she came out of the bushes snorting up a storm at me

so much for that
WY Hy 70 is another great road twisty and scenic

However it had a few problems. How would you like to be the first motor vehicle to find this slough?

The road just fell of the mountain hope no one got hurt!

#11 ·
I dropped out of Wyoming to visit an old elk hunting buddy who lives near Craig, CO. It was 106F. what a change from the cold Snowy Range where I had my heated vest cooking on high. On CO Hy 27 a guy on a harley passed me on a double yellow. That meant war. I caught him and I gotta say the chase was on once he saw me in his mirrors. I stuck to him like glue but didnt have the HP to overtake him. I consider myself an OK rider but man that harley dude was throwing sparks like crazy. He pulled into a coal mine, maybe he was late for his shift? CO 27 had some great curves before Oak Creek where this shovel lives.

But after 479 miles I called it a day and free camped near a creek res near Siverthorne, CO.

My fav camp breakfast is a cookie and VIA instant coffee it's quick

Drove to Vail on I 70 why I dont know

I came to my senses real quick and got off the slab in a hurry.

#12 ·
I worked my way to Leadville the highest city in USA I think.

Once one gets west of I 15 and on back roads, it is hard to find a boring highway in CO. Twisties everywhere just get off the beaten path

I've been over Independence Pass before and had to do it again. It's up thar somewhere

Turned around at Aspen where gas was $4.85. They must of seen me coming. Buena Vista was a 100 I had to get back in the mountains where it was cool.

#15 ·
You can prolly tell, I've made more than a few trips to Colorado. But I have never been in The San Juan Mtns. So after the dirt I headed to Gunnison along the Taylor River on another great mountain road. Hy 135.

IMHO, CO Hy 149 between HY 50 and South Fork is a hidden Colorado gem. The road has everything and in good shape.

Lake City was full of old people riding monster 900 cc 4 wheelers on all the city streets. One of them told me to camp up this dirt road next to a creek. So I did.

Free of course

Babbling Hinson Creek put me to sleep after a 345 mile day. My campsite was down there somewhere. I got up left early cuz I did not know if I could legally camp where I did.

If you watched the news you would have thought all of Colorado was on fire. It was not. Today was the first day I smelled smoke and that was only after going over Slumgullion Pass. This is a crappy pic but way in back is Rio Grande Mtn. And On the north side of that mountain starts the Rio Grande River third longest in the USA

I saw a lot of elk in these meadows

At Creede I shaved and cleaned up in the skateboard park restroom

They were very proud of the fact that bama money via the stimulus package built it. Thanks bama for the hot water

#16 ·
The night before I left my bride pulled me aside. She slipped $400 cash in my shave bag. Her orders:

bring home 2 or 3 T shirts
take your brothers out to eat for letting you crash at their house
promise me you WILL take a fricking shower once in awhile!!!!

yes dear

so tonight was a motel night because I stunk. thanks hun!
I hopped over to Durango to ride the world famous Million Dollar Highway.
Smelled smoke at Durango also
C.W. McCall had a song about driving a runaway semi down Wolf Creek Pass?
That would not be fun

but it was great fun on a bike

here comes CW right now

#25 ·
I dont want this to get in to an anti gun thread thread but,,,,,

Of course I carry a gun on ALL my long bike trips. I hope to end my life on my terms not a meth-head's terms

My choice is a Glock 26 9mm. with a Pierce magazine extension, and a Crimson Trace grip-mounted laser. I am very familiar and confidant with this weapon and I do like my chances with the above mentioned meth-head

#21 ·
Great pics and write up of your rides. Enjoyed your write up on your Alaskan trip very much. I'm heading out to B.C. tomorrow and will check out the riding in New Denver B.C. as per your suggestions. No camping for me just a credit card.

#26 ·
I'm heading out to B.C. tomorrow and will check out the riding in New Denver B.C. as per your suggestions.
I have been around the block a few times

Hy 31 between New Denver and Kaslo BC is the greatest 31 miles I have ever done

Just love the pace and cadence of the curves

You almost get into a trance

If you come out to soon you are in the river

I've done it a least a dozen times

Have a good ride

I love riding in your country

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

#28 ·
Telluride was next. My wife wanted her T shirt. Well, they were $46. I passed. Picked up one of those real estate flyers? 3.6 acres of land in Telluride, city water,city sewer, electric in was 3.6 million dollars.:shock: Tom Cruse and Oprah have places there. Too rich and too touristy for this smelly biker I just shot thru.
Telluride sits behind these mountains

The roads in this whole area of Colorado were simply outstanding but littered with sport utes

See the road going up to that house between the waterfalls? Not sure but I think this supplied the city years ago with electricity

Would be fun to live there in the summer

I drove thru Mountain Village where there were many $15 million mansions and headed down CO145 for an out and back along the Delores River. I was getting overload on twisty highways

Found a shower, bed, a meal, and beers at The Rico Motel thanks to my wife. $70 room $18.95 flat iron steak, um, didnt count the beers, shhhh

got back to my room and watched the Waldo Canyon Fire sweep over that ridge down by Colrado Springs on Denver News 4. 354 house burnt and people were killed. I was saddened and shocked as the tv was showing houses go up in flames not knowing if the people got out.:-x
Here is a link to some of the carnage. simple devastation

Photos: Before and after views of neighborhood burned by Waldo Canyon fire - The Denver Post

was only a 334 mile day but they were quality miles with many smiles

#29 ·
I needed to finish Colorado and head more west than south. Made Montrose to go see that big hole in the ground. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison cost 7 bucks for a day pass but well worth it. The road is insanely steep first or second gear both ways. You can see the switchbacks looking way up?

I hollered down are the fish biting they hollered back f--k no!

Just when I thought the roads couldnt get any better, they did.
Ya gotta go down CO Hy 50 a ways then shoot back on the other side of the Canyon on CO 92. This is a must ride if your ever nearby. It was full of squids with shorts and flip flops

be on your A game if you do Hy 92 at a fast pace. Clear your head and let er rip it was almost better than sex

#30 ·

I made my way up CO Hy 65 cuz the trout fisherman in the canyon said "I see a lot of bikers on that road"
He was right I also saw a moose but it was too far away for a pic. It takes you up Grand Mesa with some great views on top

another fire was blowing up

Grand Junction was a 100F so I just blew through and headed back to the cool mtns north

nearing Douglass Pass on CO Hy 139

need to find me some Utah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.