Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Second Annual HSN Dragon Days (7x Memorial Ride, April 21-23 2017)

29K views 273 replies 24 participants last post by  PhantomRider64 
#1 · (Edited)
Just starting a thread so we can plan out the Dragon run for next year. For anyone who didn't make the 2016 run, it's a great ride. The Dragon itself is fantastic but there are also several surrounding roads such as the Cherohala Skyway and Moonshiner28. Most of us will likely be staying at Two Wheel Inn, a great little place nearby with built-in garages for bikes.

In another thread we've started discussing dates, around the April 22-23rd or 29-30th weekends. This weekend, I'll call the Inn and see what else is happening in April to make sure those are good options.

Here are some of the great pictures from 2016!

#9 ·
@Mark-B start planning NOW!
I'll keep relatively quiet on this one. I'm planning to take a vacation next year with the family (a bi-annual promise I made to myself), so unless something really shakes loose, I won't be able to ride out there (Which REALLY Sucks).. I WILL look into flying out and renting a bike (which is the next best thing..... I suppose), but, no promises can be made as yet.

#7 · (Edited)
I reckon my motion for 22 - 23 died for lack of a second??
Ain`t ECR the next weekend?
Aughtta be consistently third weekend in April is my input...

But,
D

#12 ·
Second Annual HSN Dragon Days (7x Memorial Ride, Spring 2017)

Those dates work for me. The only thing that would stop me would be my daughter's first communion, which should be right around Easter. I don't know the date of it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
My fiance and I are thinking about making the trip to the dragon next year with y'all. We are open on whatever date is selected, if there is a reenactment that weekend we will just have to miss it.

I have wanted to ride the dragon ever since I heard of it and since we got the bikes last year it has been calling my name loudly.

Other than riding the dragon what else does the group usually do?

When does everyone usually arrive? I would get there on Friday afternoon and ride home on Monday morning.

#33 ·
When does everyone usually arrive? I would get there on Friday afternoon and ride home on Monday morning.
As others have said, it's pretty loose. I'm calling Friday through Sunday "the ride," but really people will arrive and leave whenever works for them. I came in Thursday night this year and left Sunday morning. I might come in earlier in 2017 to enjoy the roads more during the weekdays when traffic is non-existent. Saturday will be the big group rides though.

Also, note to everyone, I just threw up a poll at over here, so please go vote and let's nail down a weekend!

#20 · (Edited)
Friday-Sunday morning for me too...
Plenty of mountainous roads to ride...
After riding all day we generally rest up for the next days ride, sit around comparing Bikes, stories and whatnot at the hotel...
Saturday is the most group mileage day, other tthan getting there and home trips...
Summed up?
For me, 300 miles & 6 hours to get there then the same getting home, with a 200 +- ride Saturday through the areas roads attractions and scenery...
Three days of Riding with Pegs down in memory...

`Tis a Great HSN spring get together, in my book,
D

#21 ·
Yup, Friday is travel to day normally, then Sunday home day. This year some of us rode nearly 300 on Saturday, I think....
It was a fun filled day. Even when the Old Dude wondered off and we lost him.... thankfully a beat didn't eat him, he's probably tuff, he would have spit him out tho:)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#23 ·
What?
What Old dude???
Bear prolly wouldda spit it out;)

ABATE Obligated for Sept, EVERY Weekend!!!

D
Huh.
The Old saying" The Hit dog will Hollar" get ya? I never mentioned names....
Hey, we didn't leave ya tho! Jason wanted to, but I wouldn't leave you!

#25 ·
Sounds good! Still might stay Sunday night, that way we could go check out Cherokee and ride up to Clingmans dome. I have been looking at the maps of the roads in that area, there sure is a lot of them.

I sure hope my fiance does not look at some of the info on the dragon, if she does she will not want to ride it. I tell her it is no worse than riding up to Cheaha mountain its just curves all the way. I dont show her any of the accident pics either, heck they give me the willies.

#27 ·
For the most part the Dragon is hype. Now, it can eat tour lunch! But, if tou ride your ride and not worry about people in front or behind its no biggie. And the true key, look where ya wanta go! Target fixation will get you if not! I've darn near ran off the road cuz of it. I bet all the camera men up yonder are experts at dodging bikes!
Moonshiner 28 is a must, If I'm there, I will be riding that ine, I promise! Cherahola is fun too. Them and the dragon is a full day, fun and full! You can do more miles if you want to rush, but it's about fun and building relationships!

#28 ·
I guess that Laura (my Fiance) and I will be bringing up the rear of the pack. Rarely do I ride over the speed limit and both of us have only been back riding for a little over a year now. I am looking forward to it, I will be glad to be able to finally meet y'all.

#29 ·
It's not about speed, it's about fun! I will go slow and wait on anyone. We ride our pace, wait before turns and let everyone catch up. I ride a bike capable of a whole lot more speed that I will use in the curves, but I ride my pace and don't care if it's too slow or fast, it's my fun pace!
No need in rushing, just don't complain if it starts getting dark and we ain't back yet if you were one of the slower ones, just be happy and ride, that's what it's all about!

#32 · (Edited)
Alright, so here's the info I've gathered:

• It's too early to plan around other events. The big event we hit in 2016 (Wookies In The Woods) has a TBD date for 2017. Most of the Deal's Gap calendars are still on 2016 and I'm not finding much just searching by those dates. So if we determine a date this early, we're a little blind if we care about other nearby events.
  • Called the Inn and they're wide open both weekends, so availability there isn't an issue. No group rate though, so it'll be the normal $70-80/night depending on if you have 1-2 people, plus taxes/fees/extra if you need a roll away etc.
  • Weather wise, obviously we won't know until just before the event. I did check out the past few years though. The last weekend of April will be a little warmer on average (67F vs 60F) with a comparable chance of rain (0.14 in vs 0.13 in). So, the 28th-30th will likely be a little warmer with a very slight higher chance of rain. Certainly don't quote me on this though :).

The 28th-30th is my pick because I have a big trip out West just after that, so I can go straight from NC on a nice cross-country ride :). But, the 21st-23rd seems more popular in this thread, so I'll throw up a quick vote thread so we can get a tally.

#35 ·
Guys n gals...
Gonna just drop this hint here...
The Dragon area is fun...
But, the area is limited to a few runs. For anyone interested in upping the quality of the rides, the Maggie Valley area may be better suited. It's about 60 miles to run the dragon loop. It's minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway and some of the most breathtaking views ever.
I am uploading some vids to show, one they get up I'll add link to thread on my trip. Not saying I won't go to the Dragon area, just that the Dragons 11 miles is fun, but, there is a whole bunch more out there.
Any questions tag me or pm.

#37 ·
For anyone interested in upping the quality of the rides, the Maggie Valley area may be better suited.
Pretty expensive for what it's got. I like Bryson City MUCH, MUCH better. There's a decent motel run by a biker and his family -- Two Rivers Lodge. If a group fills the place the guy will lead them on a ride or two. Only real downside is not being able to walk to a place for meals. And only about 45 miles to Deals Gap.

#36 ·
Yeah, in 2012, we rode that 11 miles, then over to Cherholla then on to BRP & Maggie Valley...
That was a GOOD Days ride!!!
We also did the Dragon, then Devils triangle, to Cherhola and BRP also, on another day...

Just give me them Blue Ridge Mountains!!!
They`re ALL Good,
D

So Many roads to choose from, Lets RIDE THEM ALL!!!

#39 ·
Never been there, no clue.
The place in Maggie I like is the same way. Small family owned husband and his wife, 2 kids. It's slap dab in the middle of town, last August was $70/night dual twins. Surely I can get group discount. It's a small place, old decor, but clean and updated enough. I'll go back!
It's just a thought to ponder..

#40 ·
I think a bit of a ride to the dragon might be a good idea,,,it would allow me to wake up and get the tires warmed up if we rode the dragon in the morning as has been suggested to miss the masses.

I am easy,,,y'all have been there before and rode the roads, so I defer to your experience. I am just along for the ride.

#41 ·
i would be good either way done the dragon more than a few times great road but I think its over hyped. lots of other good roads on either side of the mountain rode a few of them. I think a few people here would want to ride the dragon if they never have be good to stay in riding range for that reason. I have a few motorcycle ride maps of that area a lot of other places to ride. when or where either way I'm looking forward to it.

#43 ·
Just wanting to keep this thread near the top for the benefit of new members.

Bryson City looks to be half way between Maggie Valley and the dragon. Howbout everyone plan out a route to ride and we then could see where would be the best area to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.