Sturgis - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sturgis

How many of you have been to The Sturgis Rally? I envision it as Port Dover on Steroids. Is it worth the trip?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canada map.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	9455   Click image for larger version

Name:	us map.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	9456  
Canadian Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

You plan on going if you get encouraging responses?

(I only ask because my house looks to be pretty much between you and Sturgis so maybe...)

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Seems that riders going to Sturgis has been on a steady decline for the last few years. I suppose going to it once would be a god thing to do, but you really have to love traffic jams when you go there because you'll be stopped more then go.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not sure. It just seems like a huge deal. I doubt that I would ride all the way unless people tell me it's a scenic ride. I haven't done any real long rides as of yet. I do a lot of day cruising. Two days of solid riding is the most I've done so far.
Canadian Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I went last year. It had been a number of years since my last trip there. What a hoot. Quite the spectacle!!! Loads of fun. It's pretty much a week dedicated to bikes. Doesn't really matter what brand, though HD is the most prevalent. Bike shows, rides, vendors... and a double crap load of people. Great concerts, if you like classic rock, every day and night and at a variety of different venues. If you are thinking of going, you'd better start thinking of making reservations now! Everything fills up fast. What I see there with many people, and in my case it also happened, is people use Sturgis as a time and place to get together. I met up with friends who rode there from all points on the map. You see that with lots of other folks too. The only time they see each other is when they get together in South Dakota the first full week in August.
Now on the flip side. Lots and lots and lots of people. If you have biases against folks in leather, you probably don’t want to be there. Got a problem with crowds? Ditto. Fantastic scenery… with a butt ton of other bikers enjoying it too. Lots of alcohol being poured. Lots of boobs and butts hanging out. Debauchery, stupidity and a little violence now and then.

It’s an experience, and if you can pull it off, go for it. Plan on going for a least a couple of days. Bring a camera!

Looks like a trip from your neighborhood to Sturgis would be a solid three days on the road... maybe even three nights, four days depending on your abilities. Should be nice riding the better part of the way.
my .02 anyway.

Did I mention lots of people and bikes?
Not a whole lot of "open road/solitary riding". Better know how to handle a bike around other riders.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nothing against sturgis or harleys or bikers, but who wants to go watch a TON of people get drunk, be rude and show off their tatas... oh yeah... wait i wanna go !

just kidding...lol its just doesnt sound fun to me cuz of the crowds.... now if there were like 100 people i knew and wanted to hang out with i would put up with the crowds...

My new to me 1984 VT700C

superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you take the ferry from Ludington MI to Wisconsin you can get some rest and cut off a bunch of miles. I would suggest catching the last day or two of the rally then staying for 2 or 3 days after the rally so you can enjoy the sights.
The vendors are also willing to make deals after the rally is over.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

I doubt I would go again just to go, but last year my phone rang and the guy on the other end was saying how dudes were riding in from upper state New York, N.C., Washington state, Texas, and points between. There's a room always available and if I can spend months humping the back hills of the "Stans with these guys, I'm pretty sure we'll have each other’s backs in South Dakota! That opportunity I will never pass up! All the revelry of Sturgis just made it all better!
Me, I would stay the heck away from any of the “campgrounds” in the local area. They get pretty nasty after a couple of days… and the “partying” is getting tamer and tamer each year. Traffic congestion in and around those places are also the worse. I hate friggin’ lines, and lines are what you’ll be waiting in quite often if you don’t know your way around.

One thing you might want to pay attention to on the responses you get here... A lot of folks will talk down about the rally, or anything else for that matter, but you might want to ask them if they've actually been there... or any other rally for that matter. my .02 anyway. A lot of times a persons perspective changes if they actually attend an event. It's real easy to sit home on ones couch and ridicule something. Just sayin'......

Last edited by squidchief; 01-16-2013 at 01:37 PM.
squidchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgraves49 View Post
If you take the ferry from Ludington MI to Wisconsin you can get some rest and cut off a bunch of miles.
Last I knew, that ferry (SS Badger) was grounded due to pollution issues. Appeals in process.

There is, however, another ferry from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI. Faster but more expensive. MUCH newer.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

havent been nor would i go. don't think i would like it. not the way i roll.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.