Safety Concerns - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Safety Concerns

I am really looking forward to the ECR, however, I view it with some trepidation because I will be riding with people I have never even met, let alone ridden with.

The general concensus is that this is NOT a drinking and riding group, and I am totally on board with that. I do, however, wonder if we are going to have any sort of ground rules for riding in a group. I really would like to avoid any incidents such as the :

Turtle Episode

I don't mean this to be preachy or make you think I have a holier than thou attitude towards my riding skills/preferences.

But, my riding style is to ride slower and enjoy the ride, as opposed to blazing through the curves and constantly tempting the LEOs with speeding ticket fodder.

In my opinion, the more bikes you have in a group, the slower you need to be riding and the more care you need to take.

If the group wants to ride 10-15 mph over the limit and pass cars that are "only" doing 5mph over, and riding all clumped up, fender to fender, then I am probably not the guy you want to be riding with.

I just wanted to throw this out there and avoid any difficulties when "kickstands up" time rolls around.

Thoughts?
Wassup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm of similar mind, wassup. I don't really care to be the one to jump up and start making rules, but I do think it's a good idea to agree on some guidelines, and -- honestly -- I'd be surprised if there were any strenuous objections out of this bunch to trying to be a disciplined, safe group.
I also wouldn't mind seeing us pre-plan how to split up into subgroups -- we can all ride basically together but I think it's wise to have a plan for how you'll break up in traffic.
After all the bad group riding I've seen, it would be nice if we could all get home and be able to point proudly to this as a good example. Just my 2 cents. Since Jo is the default point person here, maybe she'll take the lead on this too? I hope that's not asking too much. I'm just sayin'...
-Glenn
highlandman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sadie43
Default Re: Safety Concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassup
I am really looking forward to the ECR, however, I view it with some trepidation because I will be riding with people I have never even met, let alone ridden with.

The general concensus is that this is NOT a drinking and riding group, and I am totally on board with that. I do, however, wonder if we are going to have any sort of ground rules for riding in a group. I really would like to avoid any incidents such as the :

Turtle Episode

I don't mean this to be preachy or make you think I have a holier than thou attitude towards my riding skills/preferences.

But, my riding style is to ride slower and enjoy the ride, as opposed to blazing through the curves and constantly tempting the LEOs with speeding ticket fodder.

In my opinion, the more bikes you have in a group, the slower you need to be riding and the more care you need to take.

If the group wants to ride 10-15 mph over the limit and pass cars that are "only" doing 5mph over, and riding all clumped up, fender to fender, then I am probably not the guy you want to be riding with.

I just wanted to throw this out there and avoid any difficulties when "kickstands up" time rolls around.

Thoughts?
number 1 rule there will be no drinking and riding......... what anyone chooses to do once the bikes are parked for the night is all up in the air, I hope we can all socialize and enjoy each others company.

This is a very important topic........ several of us have ridden together , brice and I probably the most, and many others have been to all of the other ecrs and safety is always a priority. All standard staggerd riding will be requested from all riders. No one should feel uncomfortable or ride beyond their means. It will be an easy safe pace...

we will have a ride captain, there will be atleast 2 riders in the middle that know where we are going so that one can take the lead in the 2nd pack in case we get seperated due to lights and such, we all want to have a good time and enjoy the area without mishap.

If you ask around at folks who have attended the last 3 rallys you will find that all will say its about the riding and the fellowship of other riders, this rally is less about the party then about the ride.....but hey Im all for having some laughs friday and sat night after the riding is done and for me having some laughs have nothing to do with drinking but getting to know and enjoy the company of people I have gotten to know either through the written word or from other rallys.

bottom line is have fun ride like your life depends on it (cause it does) and the lives of those around you.

sadie43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just fixed my bike up... I'm not about to risk an accident...

no funny stuff while riding... I save my funny stuff for the forum !
Old 03-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm not old enough to drink....I'm also not old enough to be really stupid.

96-VT1100C (other bike is an '81 kaw KZ)- I am not required to know everything....I am only required to understand what I know...
Lou Pietrandrea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just want to say that I know most of the folks that we will be riding with during the rally and i Know they already ride smart but for all the new folks that will be riding with us, so they will feel comfortable and confident, we wanted them to know we are all very serious about having a good time but safety first and for most. as we get get into the summer months I will post our itinary for everyone to review....of course it will be fluid to accomadate any possible changes needed......like I said Im very excited about the rally its going to be fun

Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

My 2 cents.

I think it might be a good idea to look at the differences in our riding skills and take that into consideration when we hit the twisties. I have discovered that I love riding thru the turns but I also recognize that I can't take them as fast as some of you other more experienced (or crazy) riders so maybe when we get to the twisties we can break up into smaller groups of riders and have a meeting spot somewhere down the road. That way us slowpokes don't hold up those better riders and we don't get caught up in the moment and try to ride faster then we safely can.

Ride Bell by the generous Kara
Member of the Colonial Cavalry
C Nile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Nile
My 2 cents.

I think it might be a good idea to look at the differences in our riding skills and take that into consideration when we hit the twisties. I have discovered that I love riding thru the turns but I also recognize that I can't take them as fast as some of you other more experienced (or crazy) riders so maybe when we get to the twisties we can break up into smaller groups of riders and have a meeting spot somewhere down the road. That way us slowpokes don't hold up those better riders and we don't get caught up in the moment and try to ride faster then we safely can.
Those are my sentiments exactly!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassup
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Nile
My 2 cents.

Those are my sentiments exactly!

trust me when I say this is not going to be outragous riding going on.....the speed will be safe for all, our more experinced and faster riders will be toward the front im sure, I am going to take up the rear.....I ride slow and easy so there will be no pressure on any of our riders to ride beyond their comfort levels.... no stress guys and yes of course before we ever get on the bikes as a group a ride meeting will take place and each person will be encouraged to ride where ever they feel most comfortable in the group, I know that Brice will be in the lead,,,,bruce and rob have offered to help out as well so I am sure they will be willing to ride in the middle so that if the group gets seperated they will take up the rear of group one and the other will take the lead in group two.

Its good we are having this discussion but honestly dont stress

Old 03-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie43
but honestly dont stress
No stress...if I relax any more I will fall out of my swivel chair!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.