cant make the ride - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default cant make the ride

well, I have had the bike in the shop for 2 weeks and they have found out that my fuel pump was bad,vacuum diaphram,intake boot was cracked and dried out, carbs were inspected and they need a seal & o-ring kit so I told them to just rebuild them and also needed a screw set...all in all were talking $920.00 and thats with labor charges....OUCH
But, thats the deal that sometimes comes with owning a bike, needless to say...we will have to cancel the rally trip . we are really bummed out about it. but, I'm sure there will be other rallies that we will make. I mean its a 1994 shadow with all the original parts on it..it was bound to come up sooner or later..right??....I said right???
all of you ride careful up there and soak up some scenery for us will ya??
Eric & Tracye

06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 classic
1994 Shadow VT1100c
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
eric4u43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that you can't make it. Damn people are dropping like flies.

2006 Star Stratoliner Midnight,1986 VT1100C
Ride Bell by Maggie and Chris
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: cant make the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric4u43
well, I have had the bike in the shop for 2 weeks and they have found out that my fuel pump was bad,vacuum diaphram,intake boot was cracked and dried out, carbs were inspected and they need a seal & o-ring kit so I told them to just rebuild them and also needed a screw set...all in all were talking $920.00 and thats with labor charges....OUCH
But, thats the deal that sometimes comes with owning a bike, needless to say...we will have to cancel the rally trip . we are really bummed out about it. but, I'm sure there will be other rallies that we will make. I mean its a 1994 shadow with all the original parts on it..it was bound to come up sooner or later..right??....I said right???
Eric & Tracye
Have you priced a whole new carb set from servicehonda.com? I believe brand new they cost about $400-500 replacing the boots is part of the labor and shouldn't be more than 1.5-2 hours labor time for the entire carb/boot change..........for me and I am slow, but if I lived nearby it would be an evening job to flip in a whole brand new set of carbs certainly $900 is far too much for a rebuild job IMHO. There aren't that many parts to the carbs.......
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: cant make the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric4u43
Eric & Tracye
Have you priced a whole new carb set from servicehonda.com? I believe brand new they cost about $400-500 replacing the boots is part of the labor and shouldn't be more than 1.5-2 hours labor time for the entire carb/boot change..........for me and I am slow, but if I lived nearby it would be an evening job to flip in a whole brand new set of carbs certainly $900 is far too much for a rebuild job IMHO. There aren't that many parts to the carbs.......

I dont recall stating that the carb rebuild job was $900 alone.....it also needed a fuel pump, vacuum diaphram and other things as well...the carbs were just part of all that needed fixed...it hadnt been touched since 1994 I dont think...and to top it off..what ya gonna do..tell them that your not gonna pay cause you think they charged you too much for carb rebuild
I'm not trying to be rude....its just that...who am I to .......awww forget it...its too much trouble to sit here and justify things to someone who thinks I got charged to much...I was simply telling everyone why I couldnt make it to the rally......geeeez

06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 classic
1994 Shadow VT1100c
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
eric4u43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sadie43

that is very unfortunate.....and yeah it was bound to happen , things need replacing after a while .....take care and be safe

sadie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sadie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie
Sorry to hear that you can't make it. Damn people are dropping like flies.
yeah I know....but I think we are still going to have a very healthy group of folks......

sadie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement