Almost time... - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Almost time...

Time to start packing my stuff up...it won't be long now.
Wassup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

I wish I was to the point of packing... I am still building **** to make this trip!!!! Hope to have the luggage rack built tonight and the lightbar wired (I installed it during lunch!! lol).

Need to fill her up and tune the carb, could really use a coolant flush but i won't have time unless I can take it in and have it done Wednesday during the day. I am leaving right after work, maybe 4ish. Trying to make it to Memphis around midnight then leave about 8 a.m. Should be in Nashville around 11:15 and have lunch, Knoxville by 3pm and stopping to chat with the painter for an hour, then into NC and to the Hotel around 6....that is unless I decide to head south from Knox to hit Cherahola (sp) Skyway and US129 again. The last trip across Cherahola was in the rain clouds with minimal gear. This trip looks like it will map out with clear skys out there and back. Couldn't have picked a better weekend! If I run the latter I won't arrive until 8ish Thursday night.

Need to pick up and install a new radar detector as well, will help me keep to my time schedule! lol Sold my last one with the BMW. Need to pick up a warm pair of gloves too. The ones I have were given to me back in 85. Getting a bit weathered. So :

wire the light bar and adjust all lights
finish rack mount and mount the trunk
gas up and tune carb
adjust cables for clucth and throttle
clean the bike
pack
change coolant and inspection (never been inspected since 02) lol

Looks like I can get all this done tonight and tomorrow... so barring any issues I haven't accounted for, looks like a good departure for Wednesday night!

Upon return I can work on a couple gauge issues that aren't working (tach/oil pressure), which reminds me, I still haven't calibrated the speedometer yet so I will be doing that on the highway and adjusting at stops.

Really happy with the results of Vicious' touring makeover.... looking really nice. Can't wait to show her off at the ECR and meeting everybody, most for the first time.

See ya'll Thursday night!

Gonz

When does it end? It doesn't....it's a Vicious Cycle!!
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

I called the Kawie shop at 11:00 to see if the rack for my top case would be in before Thursday- they said, "We'll call your right back!"

I'm still waiting...

Probably will stop by the Honda shop on the way out of work Thursday for a quickie oil change.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo
I wish I was to the point of packing... I am still building **** to make this trip!!!! Hope to have the luggage rack built tonight and the lightbar wired (I installed it during lunch!! lol).

Need to fill her up and tune the carb, could really use a coolant flush but i won't have time unless I can take it in and have it done Wednesday during the day. I am leaving right after work, maybe 4ish. Trying to make it to Memphis around midnight then leave about 8 a.m. Should be in Nashville around 11:15 and have lunch, Knoxville by 3pm and stopping to chat with the painter for an hour, then into NC and to the Hotel around 6....that is unless I decide to head south from Knox to hit Cherahola (sp) Skyway and US129 again. The last trip across Cherahola was in the rain clouds with minimal gear. This trip looks like it will map out with clear skys out there and back. Couldn't have picked a better weekend! If I run the latter I won't arrive until 8ish Thursday night.

Need to pick up and install a new radar detector as well, will help me keep to my time schedule! lol Sold my last one with the BMW. Need to pick up a warm pair of gloves too. The ones I have were given to me back in 85. Getting a bit weathered. So :

wire the light bar and adjust all lights
finish rack mount and mount the trunk
gas up and tune carb
adjust cables for clucth and throttle
clean the bike
pack
change coolant and inspection (never been inspected since 02) lol

Looks like I can get all this done tonight and tomorrow... so barring any issues I haven't accounted for, looks like a good departure for Wednesday night!

Upon return I can work on a couple gauge issues that aren't working (tach/oil pressure), which reminds me, I still haven't calibrated the speedometer yet so I will be doing that on the highway and adjusting at stops.

Really happy with the results of Vicious' touring makeover.... looking really nice. Can't wait to show her off at the ECR and meeting everybody, most for the first time.

See ya'll Thursday night!

Gonz
Good deal, looking forward to meeting you!
Wassup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sadie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisep
I called the Kawie shop at 11:00 to see if the rack for my top case would be in before Thursday- they said, "We'll call your right back!"

I'm still waiting...

Probably will stop by the Honda shop on the way out of work Thursday for a quickie oil change.
ohhhh I misread it lol I thought you said you were waiting for your top case ....you want the rack to strap stuff too ....I got it .....I started packing the other night , just getting the cold weather gear together .....yeaj yeah Ill admit it im a wuss about the cold lol but I know how to layer up ......Im so excited!!!!!!!

sadie43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Gee thanks guys, now I feel wholly inadquite. All I've done is wash the rain/road/crud off and polish out a few scratches.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb
Gee thanks guys, now I feel wholly inadquite. All I've done is wash the rain/road/crud off and polish out a few scratches.

I didn't know about all these pre-ride requirements. I was just planning on turning the key and riding to Asheville. See you all there.

Ride Bell by the generous Kara
Member of the Colonial Cavalry
C Nile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

I had planned to get everything done last night. We had a company function last night, management left about 8pm and the rest of us decided not to waste a good start soooo.... I have alot to get finished between now and 5am tomorrow.

2006 Star Stratoliner Midnight,1986 VT1100C
Ride Bell by Maggie and Chris
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Rally Bound

Well, I work 24 hours today. When I get home tomorrow at 10 am I have to cut the grass, do laundry and replace the rear brake pads on the bike. Then leave about 3 pm to head to Richards. We will be up early Friday so we can arrive for dinner. Wish we could have gotten there Thursday so I could do some mountian riding Friday, rather than pounding the interstate. See y'all in a few days....
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

UHhhhhhhhgggg (Zombie mode)

GOt finished up relatively early last night at 2:30 and slept til 8. Packed up my bag and gathered a few things and went out to start Vicious. Remember I haven't ridden Vicious since July. I needed a test run before I hit the highway.... made it the nine miles into work and will ride home at lunch to load up the bags and tweak a few things (this list is for my own sanity since my memory is shot this week from lack of sleep):

1) crank the clutch lever back up as I am reaching too far for it

2) Velcro under the radar detector since it is bouncing on bumps

3) change a jet on the carb and maybe bump the jet needle up a notch

4) ...... i am sure there was something else....will remember on the ride home I am sure.

The batwing is solid!! not a rattle or shake out of it. The wind break will be nice on the highway especially in cold weather. There uis a rattle in the back section of the bike, not sure if it is the lock on the trunk or the left pipe tapping the fender, an issue I will resolve after I return.

I cut out and ground down, bead blasted and drilled, then painted the trunk carrier rack. It is a sad looking piece on the bike with its flat surface and flat paint, but works for what it is, a last minute hustled attepmt to mount a trunk. I tried to envelope the "V" into the mount but on rev B I will be changing this thing all together.... gave me a chance to see what it looks like on teh bike and where the lines should really be. Don't judge it too harshley! LOL

I took pictures this morning and left the camera sitting on the Cheese.

I have the speedo adjusted to reading roughy half the speed i am going. So the trip home I will double the calibration and then tune it in from there.

Houston, we have a go. Launch time T minus 6 hourts and two minutes.....

Gonz

When does it end? It doesn't....it's a Vicious Cycle!!
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.