new to me, 2004 Honda Shadow VT600 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new to me, 2004 Honda Shadow VT600

I just a 2004 Shadow VLX and it needs some TLC to get running again. It's been sitting in a garage for about a year, so I need to clean the fuel system to get it running again. The **** fuel was ORANGE when I drained the tank. It'll run for a few seconds with a full choke and a piece of cardboard over the air box. Luckily it still had the owner's manual, but no tool kit. Is there a free online service/shop manual available? If not, can I just find a diagram of the fuel system?

Also, I really need a spark plug tool...will a deep socket work or can I get a used tool somewhere?
Bobosmite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Got a socket and plugs at BikeBandit. Unfortunately, the clogged carb is a whole other bag of problems just waiting. I figure, take care of the little things first.

Last edited by Bobosmite; 12-08-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

this site has a free download of the manual it is a big file and the sit eis slow so it takes forever but it is FREE

Carl Salter and other random rubbish, Wheels PCDs, Free Service Manuals, Free PDF Downloads

I can't find it and I have looked nowhere
US ARMY 2004-PRESENT
2000 VLX (SOLD)
2000 Sporty
Afghanvet_2x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was able to find a service manual for 1998-2001 models somewhere among my searches, so that's got me going. Most likely there isn't much of a difference between that series and my 2004...not enough to matter anyway. Now if only I can get a couple warmer days to get it running. She's just too cold right now to even think about starting.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobosmite View Post
The **** fuel was ORANGE when I drained the tank. It'll run for a few seconds with a full choke and a piece of cardboard over the air box.
Most of the gas I use is orange going IN !!

Since it runs at all, you might want to give it some fresh gas and a healthy shot of a good carb cleaner.......like Berrymans B12 or Gumout, run it a bit, let it sit a bit and then drain the bowls/tank again. A shot or two of spray cleaner down the throat(s) might speed the process up a bit.

A good chemical cleaner can do wonders in many situations. It can save you tons of time and frustration......if it works. Certainly worth a try, I think.

Don't forget to check for a fuel filter and change it out, no matter how good it "looks".
A-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just got mine a couple weeks ago.. a 94 600 deluxe.. was sitting for 2 yrs.. Sounds like the jets are clogged. Before you take it apart get a good rebuild kit with needle and seat and bowl gasket a can of carb cleaner and you can also go so far as new main jet and pilot/low speed jet. since you are going to have the carb apart just change the jets.. if you wanna save a few bucks just buy a new pilot and clean out the main. make sure all hoses are connected to the carb also. btw some kits come with replacement jets included in the kit. HTH
shadowhi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you have gummed up carbs, what I would do if putting seafoam in the tank doesn't work, is take the carb off, remove the bowls, and put the whole mess in a pot of boiling water for 30 minutes. Then blow it out until its bone dry and put it back together.

Buddhist Biker Dyke Electromechanial technician

PUT THIS IN YOUR TOOL BAG:--- "SELF-FUSING SILICONE TAPE" --- GOOGLE IT! I CAN'T RECOMMEND IT ENOUGH!
shadowmib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm a huge proponent of B-12 to get water out of the gas and Seafoam for slightly gummed carbs and for winter gas treatment. BUT........... In your case don't waste your time. Tear the carb/carbs off and clean them. We resurrected a 99 750 last Feb. that had nasty old ass stinky orange gas. It took a simple carb cleaning and now it runs like a rapped ape! You'll save your self time and headache guaranteed.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's up and running down the road now, but there's a dead spot right when you twist the throttle, about 1/4", enough to choke out coming to a stop. It'll idle nicely, but only with the choke pulled out. New air filter and spark plugs are on the way. They needed to be replaced, so it's all good.

This is my first used bike (3rd owner) and first carbureted engine, so I'm working up the confidence to tackle the carb. When I take it apart, is there any kind of calibration or adjustments that need to be done afterward? From the service manual, I can see how to take it apart...I just don't want to destroy it.
2004 Shadow Spirit
Old 12-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobosmite View Post
first carbureted engine, so I'm working up the confidence to tackle the carb. When I take it apart, is there any kind of calibration or adjustments that need to be done afterward? From the service manual, I can see how to take it apart...I just don't want to destroy it.
From what you show in your sig 2 of your bikes, both the Honda's, are carburated as well.

There service manual will give you your basic settings to start from and how to adjust them.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.