Problem with 2007 Shadow Aero 750 dieing. - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Problem with 2007 Shadow Aero 750 dieing.

Hi new member here and I have already searched the forum and not finding the answer.

My wife has had a 2004 Shadow Aero that has been problem free. Today we picked her up a 2007 Shadow Aero from a friend that has been meticulously maintained I know this guy well only 9000 miles on it. Riding it home I stopped for gas after 81 miles and topped off the tank. I rode another 30 miles or so and started to get into the steep hills in the Ozarks down here on highway 65. I was 3/4 of the way up a very step hill and going about 70 mph and giving it a little boost to keep speed and the bike died. I tried to get it going again while rolling no luck. I pulled off and tried to start it no luck. I moved the petcock to reserve and back to on and pulled the choke out and bike fired up. Cruised back on to the highway no problem get to the next big hill and same exact thing about 3/4 of the way up the hill. This time I shifted down to 4th and let off the gas and it fired right up and pulled the hill in 4th no problem. Shifted back to 5th and continued on and exact same thing 3 more times pulling the big hills always 3/4 of the way up the hill. Each time down shifting to 4th and backing off the throttle and back to running. To me I was thinking rev limiter or something so I tested it in 4th gear by winding it up going up a smaller hill and same thing bike died shifted down to third and running again no problem?

Anyone have any ideas? Previous owner had the fuel shut off valve replaced under warranty recall and his wife never had a problem keeping up with his VTX riding these same roads?
My wife never had a problem keeping up with me on my VTX on her 04 Aero and I know this has to be something simple. I pulled the tank and checked for a pinched vent line or something on the tank no issue. It was 45 degrees out today so a cold ride, but bike is running fine no sputtering or issues just dies under load and come back when you shift down????

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help I am going to talk to my Honda mechanic tomorrow but before we spend a bunch of money trying to figure this out thought I would check with you guys who have them.
Beermand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 02:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting, dies going up hill, you may have some water in the tank, might try putting some fuel treatment in it like Seafome to dry it out if there is any water, just a thought/guess.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds to me like a fuel starve problem. Could be dirty fuel filter or maybe the fuel line is a bit kinked or sticking floats in the carb/s. Like the post above try a can or two of Seafoam to start with and ride it every day to clean it out if possible.

Today's gas with corn syrup in it has a tendency to gum up a lot quicker than in the past and with the low mileage on your new bike it may have been sitting long enough to start the gumming process.

Stratoliner
Shadow Spirit VT1100
Honda 919/CB900F
Kawasaki ZR7S
Honda CB360

VFW, Post 2391
Patriot Guard Rider #92075

Last edited by Scuba77; 12-20-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Scuba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys I put some stabil in when I got home yesterday going to ride it today and check it again. I did take the tank off and look for kinked vent hoses or lines when I got home yesterday and found no problems. I appreciate your help!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermand View Post
I moved the petcock to reserve and back to on and pulled the choke out and bike fired up.
Two thoughts:

After that happened the second time, I think I would have left it on REServe for a while, regardless of how much I think is in the tank.

Have you since actually checked the level in the tank......or filled it up again ?? Simple mistakes can lead to maximum frustration if you don't go back and check the obvious stuff first. (Wonder how I know THAT ???)

Probably not good to mix Stabil AND another cleaner together but that is a good suggestion, for starters.

If simple things don't show up the problem, I'd suggest removing the tank and petcock and doing a thorough flush of tank and lines. Also replace the filter, if there is one; the problem could be insufficient fuel flow.

It is possible that what you saw is typical of that model because the floats need a little tweek (not enough gas in the bowls when going up a steep grade). Maybe others with that model know more.
A-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I took it out today after the stabil in the gas and ran it I tried it on reserve and on the main switch, as soon as you really open it up it cuts out. You can let off the throttle and slowly roll back on and it comes back up as long as you don't open it up. Almost like the bike is either starving for fuel or flooding? It does it only it seems in 4th or 5th gear about 80 mph it cuts out right away. Let off throttle and roll back up slowly runs fine. I got it up to 90 or so down hill but if you give it more gas it dies out.

It was Monday and the Honda mechanic doesn't work Monday I know so I will call him tomorrow. I ran it about 50 more miles today trying to see if it would clear up but no luck. I also topped the tank off again just to be sure. Just cruising around on the back roads and keeping it under 70 -75 it is fine only when you really start pushing the fuel to it. Never any rough idling or running it is totally smooth until you pump the fuel to it.

Thanks all.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermand View Post
Almost like the bike is either starving for fuel or flooding?
Most likely it is starving for fuel or air.
Have you checked the air filter ??
Sometimes a piece of paper or plastic gets sucked in there.
A-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Rider View Post
Most likely it is starving for fuel or air.
Have you checked the air filter ??
Sometimes a piece of paper or plastic gets sucked in there.
Filter is a great place to start. +1

You may drain the carb bowls too. I had an issue with water in my gas once and new gas wouldn't push the water out. I put in some b-12 to leach water out and drained the bowls. Didn't have a problem after that.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks all I will try that tomorrow. I appreciate all the advice and ideas!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kinked or disconnected tank vent hose?
Advertisement