Cam shaft plug keeps popping out!! - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cam shaft plug keeps popping out!!

I have a '87 Shadow VT700c that has developed a reputation. My wife calls it "the mystress", while I call it "the curse" because I have spent so much time working on it. The latest issue is the left front camshaft plug keeps popping out under pressure after about 12-15 miles of riding leaving me stranded while the bike vomits oil out the opening. This is the second time this has happened on the same plug. The first time I just assumed I had not properly seated and sealed the plug after an engine rebuild. It popped out and bathed me, the bike, and the car behind me with oil. I removed the front cylinder and replaced both the cylinder gasket and head gasket and cam plug. This time I paid very close attention to how well it was seated and used Permatex High Tack to seal it in. I am confident it was properly seated and yet it popped out again a couple nights ago on a test ride. Thankfully it was as I was pulling into a gas station so I had somewhere to park it off the road this time. My only thoughts are that there may be blowby around the piston rings generating pressure inside the crankcase that somehow is not escaping out of the breather tube. This pressure must get out somehow and searches for the weakest point that seems to be the same camshaft plug everytime. This doesn't seems very likely. My plan is to use a rubber mallet to temporarily pop the plug back in the hole, top off the oil, run the bike at idle for about 15 minutes and stick my thumb over the crankcase breather tub. If I don't feel any air movement, I will gently open the oil fill plug and listen or pressure releasing. Anyone else have any other suggestions? I am about to spend another $100 on a new cylinder/head gasket and cam plug. I would love to not have to do this again.

Last edited by siesta23; 12-30-2010 at 05:53 PM.
siesta23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Did you put the lip thats on the plug to the inside?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, it sat neatly in the groove. It only fits one way so I'm thinking even I cant get this one wrong. I have no doubt about my installation of the plug and yet this is the second time it has popped out with what seems to be high pressure because it made a "pop" sound I could hear over the sound of the engine with my helmet on. This seems to be a mystery.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

You could try to blow air into the breather tube and out the oil fill cap. Perhaps this tube is plugged.

verdeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I blew air into the breather hose with the oil fill cap removed. I can blow air and hear it come out of the oil fill hole, but it requires a lot of effort. I was wondering if anyone knows how easily you should be able to blow into the breather hose. My other option is to remove the engine again from the frame, take it apart and see if perhaps I put too much gasket sealer on and created a partial clog in the vent area. I don't know if I would rather hear that the breather hose is likely clogged requiring the removal of the engine for the third time or that my breather hose is working fine and I still have yet to discover the mystery of the cam shaft plug. Any info is appreciated as always.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

There is a fluid separator in the breather hose. I had this clog up on my sabre.

verdeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here is the reason I keep trying. Isn't it a thing a beauty?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siesta23 View Post
"life's tough, but its tougher if your stupid" - my history professor
yes she is a beauty

also like your quot lol
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.