04 sabre vt1100 water pump issue...maybe - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 04 sabre vt1100 water pump issue...maybe

Hello everyone, I am a new user here and am very impressed by the wealth of knowledge that this site posseses!

I recently 2 weeks ago purchased an 04 sabre 1100 with 8800 miles (it now has 9600) I transported it from western NC to central NC about 200 miles. When I test drove it everything was fine, no leaks, the second time I went to start it and let it warm up before riding I noticed anti freeze coming from the weep hole on the pump It only does it when the bike is cold, after a couple minutes it stops. Today I was going for a ride and it didn't do it at all, went riding, let it get cold again, started it up, and didn't do it then either... All fluids are fine? radiator is full, cant tell about the resovoir.

1)If it (coolant system)were too full, would it push out the weep hole?

2) when the pump is going bad, could it be sparatic about leaking?

3)Why would it only leak when it's warming up?

4)How do they get the m's on m&m's without breaking the shell...lol

If indeed it is the pump, I know it will be labor intensive, but I like a good challenge...and pie...with ice cream

I look forward to chatting with everyone, and thanks for the help in advance!
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ok day 2, pulled the lower left side cover off again to view the weep hole, then checked the radiator, still full, resovoir level? Started bike it didn't leak let it run at idle till fan kicked on about 6 or 8 minutes...no leaks...?????????? I'm lost
Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm surprised, that's really low mileage to be having a problem with the water pump. The crossover tube, on the other hand, could certainly be suspect. Is there any chance the coolant is seeping down over the water pump and collecting on the weep hole? The problem that occurs with the crossover tube is the seals get hard with age and start leaking. They also leak when the bike is cold and stop as it warms up. I've had to replace mine on my 2004 Spirit 1100. You might try putting a little toilet paper in the V between the cylinders and see if it collects any coolant when the bike sits overnight. Sometimes it's really hard to find the source of a coolant leak because where it collects isn't necessarily where it is leaking from.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the response Sanoke, I checked the cross over tubes as well, nothing there. I could actually see it coming out of the weep hole. It was a steady drip and couldn't find it anywhere else. I'm a Plumber and I hate mystery leaks of any kind due to the pain in the behind factor... The weep hole doesn't appear to be a hole but rather a recessed area that looks like a hole till you get under it, there is some kinda black something in there. it looks like it's supposed to be there, very neat and smooth. At first I thought I had been had by the seller. But it looks like it belongs there...????
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

It sounds like you have a seal on the pump shaft going out or the bike sat for awhile. The seal may take care of itself with you riding it often, meaning it will flex and regain it sealing qualities. Keep an eye on the levels and whatever you do, DO NOT USE any radiator or block seal!
Also the coolant you add should be silicate free.
House Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks House Doc, I hope that is the case... When I went to get the bike it didn't do it and it was cold when we started it. I let it run for about 20 minutes and it didnt do it test drove and it was good. I'm just wondering if having it on the trailer could have had something to do with it...? The first owner put 7600 miles on it in 5 years the second owner put 1200 miles on it and only had it a year, so it did do some setting...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

not sure what you are seeing in the weep hole, but being the agriculture repair buisness i know that some manufactors insert a piece of foam into the weep holes to prevent dirt dobbers from plugging weep holes, on these engines the pump is internal driven and if coolant cant leak out the weep hole when seal fails it can backup and leak internal into engine crankcase. just my thoughts
double d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wasn't aware of that, but it has something in there, and when it was still leaking, it was defanetly coming out of the weep hole, I have been keeping a close eye on the oil too, everything is good to go right now, and it hasn't leaked in 3 days. I'm going to give it another week and if it doesn't leak, I'm going to fill the resovoir t try and duplicate the situation. I'd rather spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks than being going 75 on the highway and have the engine lock up... Thanks for all the help so far, and keep the ideas coming...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement