No Ignition - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default No Ignition

Turned key on and hit start button and heard a click then got nothing after.
No headlight,no neutral light,nothing.
Then jiggled the wiring around a bit and got power,triad to start and click then nothing again. ( Nothing when turn key on)

Checked Main fuse and 10 amp Ignition fuse and getting power with a test light with key on.

Any ideas? Its a 1999 Shadow 750

Thanks Mike
hondaman123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

How old is your battery? Might be on its way out... those test bulbs don't pull very much current at all...

If you've replaced any relays or added in any of your own wiring, its possible, too, that you're grounding out somewhere along the way. The ignition relay is kind of a bitch to get to, but it can be relatively easily replaced if that's going oout as well.
Cobra Highway Bar
Custom Chrome H/B Pegs
DTI Mirrors (Standard adapted for Metric)
Holesaw Mod
Columbus, OH
Spirit750Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Have not done anything to bike while I have owned it for 3 months,
Will try to charge battery,dont think its that because I get nothing when key is on.
No headlights,no horn,no ignition lights,everything is dead.

But getting power to all fuses.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Check your starter relay!
ohiospirit1100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Same thing happened to me after I replaced my Turn relay after putting in LED lights, I just happened to get the battery beyond its last chargeable parts. The only thing that would come on was the head lamp, very very dimly. We hooked it to a volt meter (the battery), and it was barely putting out 3 volts. While I still think there's a chance it could be the starter relay, take the battery out and take it to autozone/advance. They'll check to see if it will accept a charge and/or if it's really dying. My bike is a 2002, I bought it about a month and a half ago; it ran through the dealership's shop fine, but they didn't test the battery to see the output. New battery fixed it; fired up with no problem.

Try to push start it, if it cranks over, your electrical system is 99.9% sure to be good. If not, you've got the starter relay and battery to check (my money is still on the battery!)

Best of luck man, report back and let us know what you find!
Cobra Highway Bar
Custom Chrome H/B Pegs
DTI Mirrors (Standard adapted for Metric)
Holesaw Mod
Columbus, OH
Spirit750Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Battery is at full charge,still nothing when key is on.
Anyone know how to check starter relay? And where its located?
Thanks Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP9846.jpg
Views:	1387
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	980  

Last edited by hondaman123; 04-03-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman123 View Post
Battery is at full charge,still nothing when key is on.
Anyone know how to check starter relay? And where its located?
Thanks Mike

Starter relay is likely not your problem. Start at the battery. If you have a volt/ohm meter and know how to use it that is best. If not a test light will have to do. Test the terminals on the battery. a set of alligator clips will help with this. Hook them to battery and see what you get. then turn the key on and see if it stays the same. If so move the negative end of the light or meter to the frame of the bike. Test again the same way. What you are looking for is to see if the reading on the meter or the test light dramatically changes, ie. the reading on the meter drop significantly or the light goes out. If not that connection is good. Move on. Next move the positive end of meter/light to the opposite end of the battery cable. It should go to the starter relay. Test again same way. Key off then key on. Note that if you get to a place that has no fire with the key off before you get to the key switch then you have found the problem. It is some where between the last place it tested good and where you are now.

You said you had power at the fuses. Test them the same way. Key off then key on. A weak connection can sometimes light a test light and then lose power when something is turned on.

A wiring diagram of your bike would help. I am assuming(dangerous I know) that most Hondas are wired similar. The connection should go Negative of battery to frame(a critical place to check as bad grounds can cause lots of problems). Positive to the starter relay and to the main fuse. That is why I say that the relay is probably not your problem as the relay only activates the starter(unless your bike is wired different from mine. ). It does nothing to provide power to the lights.

Most likely your problem is the infamous starter/kill switch. It provides power to the lights and turns them off so more power is provided to the starter.

check out this link. it will give you info on how to fix the problem if that is what it turns out to be.

Good luck.
Schattenreiter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Is this normal?
Hooked a test light to battery. Clip to Negivtive side of battery,with key on touched the frame with test light and it came on,turned key off and light went off.
Otherwords test light is coming on with key on when touching frame of bike.

Also when I pull the 10 amp fuse out to ign start ,touch the connections with key on ,test light will light,key off it goes out( seems to get power ok there.)

Note: key is on in picture

See picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP9847.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	981  

Last edited by hondaman123; 04-03-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: info
Old 04-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenreiter View Post
Starter relay is likely not your problem. Start at the battery. If you have a volt/ohm meter and know how to use it that is best. If not a test light will have to do. Test the terminals on the battery. a set of alligator clips will help with this. Hook them to battery and see what you get. then turn the key on and see if it stays the same. If so move the negative end of the light or meter to the frame of the bike. Test again the same way. What you are looking for is to see if the reading on the meter or the test light dramatically changes, ie. the reading on the meter drop significantly or the light goes out. If not that connection is good. Move on. Next move the positive end of meter/light to the opposite end of the battery cable. It should go to the starter relay. Test again same way. Key off then key on. Note that if you get to a place that has no fire with the key off before you get to the key switch then you have found the problem. It is some where between the last place it tested good and where you are now.

You said you had power at the fuses. Test them the same way. Key off then key on. A weak connection can sometimes light a test light and then lose power when something is turned on.

A wiring diagram of your bike would help. I am assuming(dangerous I know) that most Hondas are wired similar. The connection should go Negative of battery to frame(a critical place to check as bad grounds can cause lots of problems). Positive to the starter relay and to the main fuse. That is why I say that the relay is probably not your problem as the relay only activates the starter(unless your bike is wired different from mine. ). It does nothing to provide power to the lights.

Most likely your problem is the infamous starter/kill switch. It provides power to the lights and turns them off so more power is provided to the starter.

check out this link. it will give you info on how to fix the problem if that is what it turns out to be.

Good luck.
Did you have a link? Thanks Mike
Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

If you are hooked up to the NEGITIVE side of the battery and touch the frame with the test light and it "Lights Up" then something is wrong. You should not have power running through your frame. Your frame should be a ground (-) not power/live/(+).

Double check your connection for the test light at the battery before going any further. It would not be the first time a test light has been connected to positive instead of negitive.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.