2005 VT750 Shadow Aero Rear Stop Turn Running light mod - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2005 VT750 Shadow Aero Rear Stop Turn Running light mod

.....does anyone know how I can go about upgrading the rear turn signal lights (yellow) to Stop/Running/Turn (red)?
.....There is only one red stop light in the middle of the rear fender which is poorly visible and a safety hazard.

Last edited by black460; 04-03-2011 at 07:53 PM.
black460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

You could start here, look around, get more specific with what you want and narrow down... motorcycle brake tail turn | eBay

1983 Shadow VT750C - "My BMW"
Ride Bell by Ed, Custom Grip Ends by Dauntae, Like-New Tach by 1rusty1
Kathy M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are several options, but on my '06 Aero 750 I used this from Kuryakyn:

Meancycles.com | RUN-TURN-BRAKE CONTROLLER FOR METRIC CRUISERS - Part No: KU4710

It was easy to install and work well. However you also need to replace your rear turn signal lenses with red ones (I used the Kury deep dish bezels) or use red bulbs with clear lenses (I think).

hbark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

All I did for mine was remove the stock amber rear turn signals, and install a set of red 3-wire turn signals... now I've got red turn signals, and extra stop lights at the same time. That's a simple r&r, really, and pretty cheap. Just wire the 3rd wire into the stop light wire.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

where did you get a set of Honda red 3-wire turn signals?
black460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is all I did... removed the stock setup, installed these into the sides of my tail light assembly... Not stock Honda product, just cheapies off of eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330523944926&viewitem=

Don't know if any of these are still available, but there's tons of options out there. Try the listings at motorcycle turn signals | eBay for some ideas

Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by black460 View Post
.....does anyone know how I can go about upgrading the rear turn signal lights (yellow) to Stop/Running/Turn (red)?
.....There is only one red stop light in the middle of the rear fender which is poorly visible and a safety hazard.
A cheap solution is to add LED strips to the stop signal line and put them where ever you wish.

ShadowMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

I looked into a turn signal converter because I didn't feel a single tail light was especially safe while you're stopped .... at night .... behind a car waiting for the same stoplight. Having seen other bikes stopped in the same situation, I noticed that it's difficult to make out that there's a bike and rider silhouetted in a sea of red lights in the immediate area behind the car. With two extra running/brake lights via the turn signal conversion, the rear of a stopped bike is more conspicuous, at night. By the same token, I don't see the sense installing tiny rear signal lights which negates the benefit from extra lights. Myself, I purchased a Signal Dynamics converter module. There are numerous manufacturers of the same product. The first step is to choose which turn signal converter suits you the best. Then plot out how to wire it into your rear signals. You'll have to decide where to mount the converter module on your bike. I wasn't a huge fan of the double-stick tape that came with the converter module. I used silicone for peace of mind. Next, where best to break into the pristine sheathing (yikes) of your rear signals wires to splice the converter module into that circuit. Plan on spending a few hours on the mod if you've never done anything similar. As other have previously noted, you'll have to buy red lens caps to keep things legal which you're probably aware off.

Fyi, the rear signal lights wires, right and left, are re-routed into the converter module than out. Basically, this configuration allows the converter module to input electricity to the rear turn signals for the constant ON mode. Another wire gets jumped (tapped) from the rear brake wire into the converter module whereby the brake input is fed into the rear turn signal circuit when you squeeze the front brake lever or step on the rear brake pedal. The converter module also over rides the brake function on the right or left signal light whichever is activated, so that the brighter brake light doesn't obscure and conflict with a flashing signal. The converter module also allows you to retain the 1156 single-filament bulb in the rear OEM turn signals. An onboard resistor lowers the voltage for the running light mode to distinguish it from the brighter brake light input essential because both modes use the same filament. Notes below.

Last edited by RONW; 04-04-2011 at 03:11 AM.
RONW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONW View Post

Just to add, I swear by these Posi Lock connectors, easy to use and super tight connection. They make variations that are waterproof and quick connect/disconnect, too.
hbark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Toying with this idea too and am pretty close to ordering these Dynamic Clusters...
Motorcycle LED Dynamic Clusters

Or there is another company, similar, a little less, there are some great videos showing how bright they are... Radiantz Dogeye

2007 Shadow Spirit C2
jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.