Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum (http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/)
-   Technical Discussion (http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/)
-   -   Clutch issue (http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/105504-clutch-issue.html)

93gc40 05-02-2011 11:48 AM

Will it hurt anything. Not if you have a PERFECT clutchless shifting method. 1st gear and down shifts can be difficult. It can be done, I've done it, but not advisable.

Windsor302 05-02-2011 12:15 PM

it is an 83 shadow 750, the clutch still engages when i am driving

Bro Eddie 05-02-2011 08:24 PM

Don't want to start a new thread. I'm having clutch issues on a 1994 VT1100C. Just replaced the left crankcase cover. Removed and reinstalled the clutch slave cylinder in the process. Have bled the clutch line, having basically the same problem. If I just sit on the bike with the motor not running the clutch seems to work just fine, but does feel a little soft. If I start the engine, engage the clutch and attempt to put it in gear, it jumps and dies. I'm going to pull the slave cylinder again, look at it closely and carefully reinstall, then bleed the lines again. Any other suggestions? Oil was a little low, added some Rotella (same type I always use, non energy conserving type).

cl65ame 05-03-2011 12:50 PM

My bike will do this when it sits as well. All that is happenning is the clutch plates and disks are "Stuck" together. When they sit with pressure on them you can build up a vaacuum (like a suction cup) between the discs and plates. The bike will behave like the clutch is engaged. This is usually worse when cold. Simply giving it a few extra rpms and shifting into gear will free it up. Usually with a clunk and a lurch. Nothing to worry about. go ride it.

cl65ame 05-03-2011 12:51 PM

Bro Eddie:
Bleed the clutch line and try again. If its the same see my previous post.

orlenz 05-03-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl65ame (Post 1136871)
My bike will do this when it sits as well. All that is happenning is the clutch plates and disks are "Stuck" together. When they sit with pressure on them you can build up a vaacuum (like a suction cup) between the discs and plates. The bike will behave like the clutch is engaged. This is usually worse when cold. Simply giving it a few extra rpms and shifting into gear will free it up. Usually with a clunk and a lurch. Nothing to worry about. go ride it.

+1 this happens with mine sometimes after it sits a while, 83 750

Windsor302 05-03-2011 04:05 PM

it clunks hard into first gear on the downshift, any idea what would cause this?

93gc40 05-03-2011 04:20 PM

Other than being a Clunky Honda transmission. Wrong shifting RPM, Worn gears, worn shift fork, miss-adjusted clutch, wrong type of motor oil.

Bro Eddie 05-07-2011 03:05 PM

Bled the clutch, same results. I'll try to find a spot in the yard where I can safely start it and pop it into gear. Definitely won't be the dirt/gravel/loose sand/ruts that are supposed to be the driveway.

Bro Eddie 05-07-2011 08:05 PM

No luck trying to just pop the clutch and let it free itself. Bleeding doesn't help. Visual inspection doesn't tell me anything. Replaced two seals just because I could and they weren't super expensive. Nothing has worked. Might have to find a friend with a truck and take it to a shop.