Honda Shadow Forums banner

Clutch issue

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  cl65ame 
#1 ·
Hey guys, yesterday I rode my bike in the morning with no problems. In the evening when I went to go for another ride, I let it warm up, when I put it in gear it was if the clutch wasnt engaged and it "jumped" into gear and died, it did this twice then I gave it a little shot of gas and that was the end of the problem. Any idea what the problem is? Thanks.

#6 ·
Reservoir of fluid near clutch lever.

What model bike? We will just tell ya hyd or cable, LOL.

Air (bubble) in Hyd line could cause this, or loose (moved) cable...either way.

#8 ·
there is a reservoir near the clutch, do you think i just need to bleed it?
Yes, good starting place.

#10 ·
What kind of bike are we discussing? Is there a manual available on the General Page? Bleeding the clutch is exactly like bleeding brakes.

#11 ·
Will it hurt anything. Not if you have a PERFECT clutchless shifting method. 1st gear and down shifts can be difficult. It can be done, I've done it, but not advisable.

#13 ·
Don't want to start a new thread. I'm having clutch issues on a 1994 VT1100C. Just replaced the left crankcase cover. Removed and reinstalled the clutch slave cylinder in the process. Have bled the clutch line, having basically the same problem. If I just sit on the bike with the motor not running the clutch seems to work just fine, but does feel a little soft. If I start the engine, engage the clutch and attempt to put it in gear, it jumps and dies. I'm going to pull the slave cylinder again, look at it closely and carefully reinstall, then bleed the lines again. Any other suggestions? Oil was a little low, added some Rotella (same type I always use, non energy conserving type).

#14 ·
My bike will do this when it sits as well. All that is happenning is the clutch plates and disks are "Stuck" together. When they sit with pressure on them you can build up a vaacuum (like a suction cup) between the discs and plates. The bike will behave like the clutch is engaged. This is usually worse when cold. Simply giving it a few extra rpms and shifting into gear will free it up. Usually with a clunk and a lurch. Nothing to worry about. go ride it.

#18 ·
Other than being a Clunky Honda transmission. Wrong shifting RPM, Worn gears, worn shift fork, miss-adjusted clutch, wrong type of motor oil.

#20 ·
No luck trying to just pop the clutch and let it free itself. Bleeding doesn't help. Visual inspection doesn't tell me anything. Replaced two seals just because I could and they weren't super expensive. Nothing has worked. Might have to find a friend with a truck and take it to a shop.

#21 ·
Pump clutch lever a few times. pull lever, keep depressed. Open bleeder on slave cylinder near foot peg (probably). close bleeder, release clutch lever and repeat. Make sure you have enough fluid in reservoir up top or you will just suck in air when you release the lever. Air in the line of a hydroilc system will decress movement of component on the oposite end of the lever/pedel. IE - Clutch does not disengage - which means hard to get in gear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.